PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character creation

Name2020
2018-12-04, 08:19 AM
I have a D&D 5e game coming up pretty soon and I want to know what might be a good character to play. For background this is my first game and my team already has a Human-Cleric, HalfElf-Bard, Tiefling-Druid, and Elf-Ranger. I originally wanted to either play as a Witcher with a cool EK 2h Greatsword build or a Dual wield greatsword Battle master build kind of like Kirito (Weeb after all). Both fighters btw. Any suggestions.

Unoriginal
2018-12-04, 08:25 AM
I have a D&D 5e game coming up pretty soon and I want to know what might be a good character to play. For background this is my first game and my team already has a Human-Cleric, HalfElf-Bard, Tiefling-Druid, and Elf-Ranger. I originally wanted to either play as a Witcher with a cool EK 2h Greatsword build or a Dual wield greatsword Battle master build kind of like Kirito (Weeb after all). Both fighters btw. Any suggestions.

You can't dual wield greatswords, so I guess Greatsword EK is the option left.

For a good character to play: pretty much all of them. You really have to deliberately try to make a bad character in 5e.

Will you start at lvl 1? Does the DM use point buy or standard array for the stats? Any race you'd like?

nickl_2000
2018-12-04, 08:29 AM
From you post, you are looking at

1) Two-Hander Eldritch knight fighter - With the party you mentioned, this is a very solid choice. It's a reliable damage character who get some decent utility.
2) Battlemaster Fighter - You mentioned dual wielding greatswords, this isn't allowed in D&D. The best you could do would be two non-two handed weapons. For example, dual wielding two long swords, or a longsword and a battleaxe. To do this from level one, you would need to be a variant human and take the Dual Wielder feat at level one. Otherwise you can dual wield, but the one handed weapons need to have the light attribute (scimitar, shortsword, sickle, dagger, etc). If this sounds fun to you, then you should do it. It isn't considered "optimal" but is pretty powerful at low levels and if it's a fun picture you can do great with it.

Other possible options to consider based on your party and what you have mentioned in play style
-Two handed weapon wielding Paladin. Paladins are pretty brutal in this edition and you don't need to be the Superman/Captain America good guy. They can be extremely edgy.
-Barbarian, pretty much any of them work.

MThurston
2018-12-04, 09:13 AM
Rogues are fun and they can dual wield also.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-12-04, 09:19 AM
Kirito used dual wield longswords.

I think you should play what you think will be more fun.
Both options are good.

I will ask you a question that will help to help you.
What do you want the character to be able to do?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-04, 11:59 AM
Truthfully, a Dual Wielding/Ranged Battlemaster is one of the most fun non-magical builds you can go, but it's generally ONLY great if you use ranged attacks, and it's not nearly as special without them.

Eldritch Knight with Two-handed weapons is decently fun, just make sure to remember to save slots for defensive abilities.

Snowbluff
2018-12-04, 12:16 PM
I would suggest going with the eldritch knight for sure. That concept works really well.

I might even suggest grabbing a dip into Wizard for some more spell slots. 2 levels of Bladesinger Wizard would give the Bladesong buff as an option, or War Wizard for AC while concentrating if you want to go with heavier armor. There are other schools of wizard you could go into for specific magi, but I don't remember a lot about the Witcher games so if those are useful for flavor that's up to you. 3 level will give you some 2nd level magic and still let you get 4 fight attacks, IIRC.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-04, 12:23 PM
Depending on your background of gaming, it might get a little complicated but that is the style you want to play a Blood Hunter is for you.

It might as well say, "Witcher Ripoff" as the class name.

It is not balanced, and is very wonky, it is also kind of complicated to play for a first timer.

Not sure if your group would allow it, it is not made by WOTC but it is included as part of DNDBeyond and the like because Matt Mercer makes WOTC a lot of money so they don't really care.

I don't know a single thing about Kirito or even who that is but going with a Battlemaster is always a solid choice, they are great.

If you want to dual wield with one, like really dual wield as in have 2 weapons, and not just "make bonus action attacks" then dual wielder is ok, just depends on if you want to be dex based or str based.

Raynor007
2018-12-04, 12:36 PM
Assuming that you are starting at level one, be a Variant Human Fighter, if your GM allows it, and pick the Dual Wielder Feat along with the Two-Weapon Fighting Style. Two longswords for d8+STR mod each. You could go Battlemaster (always my first choice) at Level 3, or EK, and the build works either way (though obviously favors Battlemaster).

Misterwhisper
2018-12-04, 12:40 PM
Assuming that you are starting at level one, be a Variant Human Fighter, if your GM allows it, and pick the Dual Wielder Feat along with the Two-Weapon Fighting Style. Two longswords for d8+STR mod each. You could go Battlemaster (always my first choice) at Level 3, or EK, and the build works either way (though obviously favors Battlemaster).

Dual wielding and EK has issues with casting spells because last time I checked EK can't use wands and things so they have to have a free hand for components and somatics.

DW Battlemaster is good though, really Battlemaster anything is good.

MThurston
2018-12-04, 12:46 PM
Dual wielding and EK has issues with casting spells because last time I checked EK can't use wands and things so they have to have a free hand for components and somatics.

DW Battlemaster is good though, really Battlemaster anything is good.

Warcaster fixes that until you need a focus.

Snowbluff
2018-12-04, 12:49 PM

Yes you've need warcaster.

HOWEVER,

in AL you are allowed to roll on the Xanathar's backstory tables, which can give a common item. One ofthese is a ruby that lets you use a weapon as a spell focus. All Eldritch Knight spells are Wizard spells, but eldritch knights do not get a focus. However if you get a wizard dip you can use a focus...

In short @OP
If you're in AL and going to take a wizard dip
Get a common magic item
Use it on your sword.
If you have a spell that has a material AND a somatic component, you can use it without a free hand with this focus.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-04, 12:51 PM
Warcaster fixes that until you need a focus.

Also, some GMs think it’s dumb that Eks have to drop their weapon to cast spells and whatnot, so they just handwave the whole focus nonsense.

Definitely ask your GM how serious they are about casting components.

SirGraystone
2018-12-04, 01:22 PM
You need 2h to attack with a greatsword, but only one to hold it, so you use the other hand to cast a spell. Not something you can do with DW or Sword and Shield.

Name2020
2018-12-04, 01:29 PM
Thank you for the input, I am still very unsure though. If I am to go fighter I will go the Witcher Style EK. But I want to know if any other characters could fit the bar. For example, I was also looking into a Dragon-Sorcerer or as I like to call, the Dragonslayer. Any other character ideas would be appreciated.

P.S: My teacher (the one running the game) told us that we are playing with almost no homebrew or Unearthed Arcana. Just plain old 5e. Not even Aarocka or however you spell it.

sigfile
2018-12-04, 01:30 PM
Dual-wielding halfling greatswords.

I feel like Eldritch Knights work best as two-handed weapon or ranged weapon wielders. Both options leave one hand free to grab material components and deal with somatic components when necessary. For my tastes, EKs aren't caster-y enough; if I want to play a magic-wielding badass with a big weapon, I want that magic to be meaningful.

Hexblade is fun and flavorful that way. Paladins fit that niche too, once you're beyond the point you're using all your spell slots for smiting. Plus your party will love you for the aura(s).

Battle Masters work with any fighting style. If you're tactical, they're incredible.

Snowbluff
2018-12-04, 01:31 PM
For example, I was also looking into a Dragon-Sorcerer or as I like to call, the Dragonslayer.

A Gloomstalker Ranger 5 with dragon hating, followed up by dragon sorcerer (for resistance to the kind of dragon you fight) would be an interesting build.

MThurston
2018-12-04, 02:16 PM
You need 2h to attack with a greatsword, but only one to hold it, so you use the other hand to cast a spell. Not something you can do with DW or Sword and Shield.

You can Sword and Board as a Pal or Cleric. Your shield can have your focus on it. I think it's bullcrap though.

DW gets penalized all the time.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-04, 02:28 PM
A Gloomstalker Ranger 5 with dragon hating, followed up by dragon sorcerer (for resistance to the kind of dragon you fight) would be an interesting build.

I'd say the Monster Slayer would probably be a better fit. Dragons have flight, utilize saving throw effects, and generally are a solo enemy to take down, where the Monster Slayer works best at Range, against solo enemies, and are great at making saving throws against their primary target.