PDA

View Full Version : What would you expect to see in a new management tool?

firion
2018-12-04, 09:52 AM
Hi! I am doing some research about the existing tools, both online and offline, for campaign and world setting management (e.g. Obsidian Portal, Real Works etc.). I would like to know what do you think about these tools: is there any of them that can be considered "complete", providing everything that the party needs to run the campaign? If a new tool for world setting and campaign management came out, what features would you like to find in such tool?

AOKost
2018-12-10, 02:16 AM
Hi! I am doing some research about the existing tools, both online and offline, for campaign and world setting management (e.g. Obsidian Portal, Real Works etc.). I would like to know what do you think about these tools: is there any of them that can be considered "complete", providing everything that the party needs to run the campaign? If a new tool for world setting and campaign management came out, what features would you like to find in such tool?

As base systems, I still run D&D 3.X and Pathfinder rules combined, but that being said...

I do a lot of homebrew... as in almost exclusively... & I incorporate materials from virtually everywhere, including homebrew.

I found this Homebrew years ago, and have been using it ever since: http://easydamus.com/CustomCharacters.html

I almost exclusively run a classless system, and have yet to fin any form of 'auto-fill' that includes Feats, Special Abilities (Class Abilities) etc, without requiring Classes, or other things.

If you're asking what I personally would like/love in a 'tool' would be simething similar to the old 'etool'. That was amazing!

I want/need to be able to add and edit skills, feats, Special Abilities, which is simple and easy enough for everyone that uses either D&D or Pathfinder as a Basis.

The "homebrew" and "Classless" parts make it much more difficult. In my system, as the Player Character earns XP, they literally 'spend' it to learn skills, Special Abilities, Feats, Increase HP, Magic works on a Skill Based system as well as using Mana (think Power Points) and Magic and Psionics are rolled into one, and Martial Maneuvers (not Grapple or those 'standard' maneuvers but those taken from Paths of War and similar materials), are also run under Skill Ranks before they can be purchased/learned. All Saves can be increased using Experience, as well as Ability Scores.

(as a side note, how many people realize that if you multi-class properly that by level 20 you can get 1 or even 2 Saving Throws to have a base of +40?)

As you can see, it could be a relatively easy system to have a field you enter the earned amount of XP and you can 'spend' directly from that.

Your Level depends upon the highest of any of the following: BAB (Max +1/lvl), Skill Rank(s) (Max 1/level / skill), HP (Max of 12/lvl base, not including Con Mod or Feats or anything else thing might grant permanent HP), Save(s) (Max of +2 / level / Save), etc.

If I could get a 'skeleton' of such a tool, I'd add everything into it myself! I've often lamented to my players that I don't have anything like this, or have yet to be able to find something even remotely compatible! I need a tool I can add items if every type, from Mundane to magical to Artifacts; I need to add Templates that can be added to Player Characters, and Items, I need to add Special Materials, or modify any of the stated above. I need to add, and modify spells, and Special Abilities since I took all Alignment restrictions out. E.G.: Smite now affects anyone/anything it successfully hits.

Sadly, I'm afraid that I'm the only one that needs something like this (other than my players whom I make play such a system lol)

My Homebrew take huge pages from the Tippyverse... Using Eberron, Spelljammer, and virtually every other campaign setting in the same 'verse'!

AOKost
2018-12-10, 02:20 AM
In short, an 'updated' version of "etools" that combined D&D 3.X and Pathfinder, allowing you to 'freely' take any "Class" ability without requiring the appropriate 'class', at the 'expense' of xp...