PDA

View Full Version : First time playing a Sorcerer

Marywn
2018-12-04, 10:02 AM
I've played Dnd 5e for 2 years, and I've never played a sorcerer and/or wizard ever. I plan to play sea sorcerer and I'd like to tips on general sorcerer things.

StickyZ
2018-12-04, 10:11 AM
I'm sure everyone will have great tips, but one that a sorc in my campaign forgot to do was convert his sorcerer points into spell slots and the reverse as well. That can be extremely useful especially as you level. I also happen to think Quickened and Twinned are the two best metamagics, but they all have some usage.

Marywn
2018-12-04, 10:20 AM
Bear in mind, the classes I've played the most are I believe monk, druid, fighter and rogue. I just generally don't know why I haven't made a Sorcerer or Wizard, I don't have any bad experiences with them. I think it's many be due to the hit points but hey *shrug*.
https://dfep0xlbws1ys.cloudfront.net/thumbs22/a3/22a3e2176a6cc30ff87617345e9c6200.jpg
I actually wanted to make a sorcerer when I saw the art of Omnispell Adept /\

TheMoxiousOne
2018-12-04, 10:30 AM
I have been mainly playing Sorcerer since playing 5e, and I have to say the most fun I've have playing Sorcerer has been my Triton Storm Sorcerer. He was a follower of Poseidon, and at one point, he was recognized as a devout follower by the big guy himself, and was offered, essentially, a free level up if I took it as a Cleric, and he would grant me a small boon. Naturally, I excitedly took it, and went Tempest for domain. The boon turned out to be making lightning and thunder interchangable on all of my spells. Seemed amazing at first, until I realized most monsters resistant or immune to one tends to be to the other elemental type, too. It ended up being a fun, thematic element to the character; especially describing a lightning shatter or thunder Chain Lightning! :smallsmile: After a second level for the divinity, I can max lightning/thunder damage once per long rest (Upcasted Lightning Bolt, anyone?) and I now wear full plate and a shield and dagger with War Caster and HAM, and cannot be happier playing the little bugger, now level 15.

For metamagics, I highly encourage thinking about the ones you want end-game, and working the first three based off of cost, and the last one being the not-needed-but-cool option. For me, I started Empowered and Quicken, then selecting Twin, with Subtle on backburner until a more intriguing option comes along. (I mean, who doesn't want to cast Time Stop that no one knows about, and thus (in our game) uncounterable?)

Alternatively, you could go pure storm sorcerer, as with cleric levels, while a full caster, will make it so you don't get a level 9 sorcerer spell until character level 19, which could be unappealing for most. The durability he has makes up for it, in my very biased opinion, since I tend to play tanky characters in just about everything. Can't deal a tons of damage throughout the fight

Sindal
2018-12-04, 10:37 AM
I've played Dnd 5e for 2 years, and I've never played a sorcerer and/or wizard ever. I plan to play sea sorcerer and I'd like to tips on general sorcerer things.

The only real point of concern for sorcerors is yo make sure youve picked spells that you'll get decent millage out of in the most possible scenarios. You dont have a big spells known pool so you have to make it count otherwose. At level one you only really have room for an attack and a defense/ utility spell. This of course depends on the campaign if its more talky and puzzly than fighty but yeah.

Lvl 1 spells

-Ice knife or magic missle should hold you for damage
-shield, mage armour or sleep will help you not be hit or neuttalise early threats.

You can swap them out later on level ups so you can buils for early uses.

Cantrips are up to you but firebolt, prestigiditation, mage hand and the like will hold you

As you level up, guage how much spell casting you need to do with your partys resources and move them between your sp as neccesary.

Tip:
Make sure your meta magic choices work with your spells. Eg:
Twin spell works with ice knife but not magic missle

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-04, 12:38 PM
Tip:
Make sure your meta magic choices work with your spells. Eg:
Twin spell works with ice knife but not magic missle

Er, that really depends. Officially, it's been ruled that Ice Knife and Dragon's Breath "target" more than one creature, and are ineligible for Twin Spell. The idea is that Twin Spell is less about "Target" and more about "Magically Affect", which both Ice Knife and Dragon's Breath can do. A lot of people were frustrated about that ruling, though, so some people ignore it.

With Sorcerers, you're going to have a lot of spell slots but few spells known. You also get the most amount of cantrips.

Combining these facts, you're going to want to have your slotted spells be used for mostly combat, and only have 1-2 cantrips designed for combat and using the rest for RP. Focus on making sure your slotted spells are designed around being general vs. specific, and make them diverse in their uses.

For example, Catapult can launch an item forward until it hits something. If you miss the first guy, you might hit the second. Debatably, you could possibly Ready it and fling a thrown Javelin or Hand Axe back at the target. It can be used for a number of RP abilities, so having this spell means you almost always can use it.

On the other hand, False Life is very niche and trying to find a regular use for it may be difficult. While few other abilities can imitate it, it just won't see the use.

Try and plan your cantrips the same way. Control Flames may be versatile, but it is somewhat redundant with Firebolt (which can set things on fire).

sophontteks
2018-12-04, 12:54 PM
Sorcerer is a very difficult class to play. If you do not research your spells and metamagics ahead of time there is a very strong chance you will end up just being a gimped wizard.

The best metamagics in the game are *drum roll* subtle and empowered. They are effecient, cheap, and powerful. Pick at least one of these immediately, and strongly consider taking both. Personally I would never make a sorcerer without subtle.

You want versitile spells that can handle many situations. My fav. personal combo is subtle with phantasmal force. It's an answer to practically everything. Anything you can imagine is real to your target. It could be mundane, like official documents. It could be someone the target knows like their long-lost child. It could be their worst nightmares come to life. With subtle there is nothing to give away that the effect is magical or that you are involved, so go nuts. Next time some bandits demand payment PF a swarm of bees at the leader. 10d6 damage in 1 minute without initiating combat.

Make certain your spells are complimenting your metamagics. If you are taking twinned, you better be taking haste, greater invisibility, or polymorph.

Finally, with your limited spells make sure you have all your bases covered. You want a mix of utility, damage, and defensive spells. Its easier said then done. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Er, that really depends. Officially, it's been ruled that Ice Knife and Dragon's Breath "target" more than one creature, and are ineligible for Twin Spell. The idea is that Twin Spell is less about "Target" and more about "Magically Affect", which both Ice Knife and Dragon's Breath can do. A lot of people were frustrated about that ruling, though, so some people ignore it.

With Sorcerers, you're going to have a lot of spell slots but few spells known. You also get the most amount of cantrips.

Combining these facts, you're going to want to have your slotted spells be used for mostly combat, and only have 1-2 cantrips designed for combat and using the rest for RP. Focus on making sure your slotted spells are designed around being general vs. specific, and make them diverse in their uses.

For example, Catapult can launch an item forward until it hits something. If you miss the first guy, you might hit the second. Debatably, you could possibly Ready it and fling a thrown Javelin or Hand Axe back at the target. It can be used for a number of RP abilities, so having this spell means you almost always can use it.

On the other hand, False Life is very niche and trying to find a regular use for it may be difficult. While few other abilities can imitate it, it just won't see the use.

Try and plan your cantrips the same way. Control Flames may be versatile, but it is somewhat redundant with Firebolt (which can set things on fire).

Good advice. I also like catapult. Its a versitile damage/utility spell. It also works with subtle. Unlike most damage spells, the caster is not the focal point of the spell. You can make it appear as if some other force or entity is behind this. Though the spell only requires a somatic component, so if no one is looking you won't even need subtle.

MephitBlue
2018-12-04, 01:14 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is using the Elemental Adept feat help deal with elemental resistances of enemies. I play a Storm Sorcerer and a lot of the features of the class are based around using thunder or lightning based spells. Elemental adept is useful for any Storm or Draconic Bloodline sorcerers

Marywn
2018-12-04, 01:42 PM
I plan to use the UA sea origin, but all of this is great advice! I've seen what they can do. I would like to know what feats would be decent for sorcerers, though I prefer flavor and utility over blasting people with fireballs. Though I would still totally blast people with fireballs.