PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ancient Necromancer Spellbook (Artifact)

MonkeySage
2018-12-04, 11:48 AM
I'm trying to design an artifact- not quite as powerful as the book of the damned, even in its divided state. But it should still be fairly powerful. This would be something coveted by necromancers in particular. Originally I had the idea that at one time, this would have been Orcus's own spellbook, but I may have to scrap that idea.

Here's a rough idea for some of the effects and abilities of the spellbook, as it's not just a simple 100 page wizard spellbook:

The "Book" is actually a 20 lb scroll. The Necromancer likely used his own skin, once he was... done with it... To call it a "spellbook" isn't quite enough, since he basically poured all of his necromantic knowledge onto the scroll. Non-undead take an immediate negative level while in possession of the scroll, with no save.

When in possession of the scroll, one gains a +2 bonus on knowledge or spellcraft checks pertaining to necromancy or the undead. The user's caster level counts as 2 levels higher for abilities like command undead.

The scroll contains an occult ritual for ascension to lichdom (likely Eternal Apotheosis), along with either an undetermined research bonus to studying necromancy spells or a number of high level wizard spells from the necromancy school (I'm reluctant to say all spells from the necromancy school, but I don't know how many there should actually be).

Now, I'm not sure what else to include, or if the effects I provided above work. I would also like to determine just who this scroll belonged to, and what to call it (because calling it "Ancient Spellbook" is *really boring*).

I plan to use this Artifact in a campaign I'm running, where the big bad is a lich.

rferries
2018-12-06, 07:10 AM
The "Book" is actually a 20 lb scroll. The Necromancer likely used his own skin, once he was... done with it...

This one line alone makes for a memorable item, kudos!

As it's an artifact, you can be generous with the benefits. Some suggestions...

1) Yes, it does contain all necromancy spells (contains the sum total of it's creator's necromantic knowledge), including some homebrew ones.

1) b) It may be possible to cast some/all of the above spells from the tome, as if it were a reusable scroll - or simply a uses-per-day item.

2) A +5/10/30 competence bonus on Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Spellcraft checks relating to necromancy and undead. Maybe even for Diplomacy, Knowledge (history), Use Magic Device, etc e.g. Diplomacy vs undead, UMD for other necromantic items...

2) b) Grants "Undead Empathy" - as a druid's wild empathy, though for undead instead.

3) Increases the cap of Hit Dice that can be animated or Rebuked. Beware - if you lose the scroll any excess undead turn on you once you lose control.

3)b) When raising undead, provides the benefits of a desecrate spell (with an unholy altar).

4) +5 enhancement bonus to caster level for Necromancy spells (and [Evil] spells, and [Darkness] spells, etc).

5) Is sentient and requires you to perform evil deeds to learn from it, or spontaneously raises undead or attracts them or opens rifts to the Negative Energy Plane, making it a dangerous possession.

MonkeySage
2018-12-07, 09:52 AM
It may actually work out as a creation of the Demon Lord of the Undead himself... Especially if the scroll is sentient. Orcus may even want the scroll in the hands of a powerful mortal, such as in this case a lich princess. That said, I would like to keep it less powerful than the Demonic Book of the Damned- say, caster level 25, with an overwhelming necromantic and evil aura.

BWR
2018-12-08, 03:29 PM
If you don't want to bother with Occult rituals you can always use one of the old school lichdom rituals (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23369569&postcount=22).

MonkeySage
2018-12-08, 05:05 PM
Actually, I like the Occult Rituals. :)