PDA

View Full Version : Centaur Charge Fighter?

Holocron Coder
2018-12-04, 03:30 PM
So I've been scouring the internet for ideas, but I'm coming up short for a viable build.

Race: Centaur (GGR)
Class: Fighter?
Concept: Take advantage of the bonus action hooves attack, with constant charging. Alternately, a viable build that upholds the mounted lancer archetype, but with the centaur.
Restrictions: Adventurer's League rules (PHB + Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica), level 5

Help?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-04, 03:34 PM
The Mobile feat at level 4 means you could charge and attack someone and immediately disengage for free, so certainly helps with setting up those charges for the next turn.

Holocron Coder
2018-12-04, 03:38 PM
The Mobile feat at level 4 means you could charge and attack someone and immediately disengage for free, so certainly helps with setting up those charges for the next turn.

... I somehow completed missed that feat. Going with that feat, a maul/greatsword, and I'd be able to charge in (30ft), attack, hoof attack, move away (20ft) and go after someone 30 feet away next turn or circle around (10ft, then charge, 10ft).

That's workable, unless better exists.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-04, 03:43 PM
With the Centaur's stats, there's a few directions you can go to maximize your potential:

Mobile, as MD mentioned, is extremely useful. Your high mobility will be hard to use without some way of staying mobile, and the Mobile feat will take care of that easily.
Paladin is a great option, as you now have extra attacks you can use for your Divine Smites.
Scout Rogue is another valid option, as your high mobility works with your level 3 Scout feature to move you an extra 20 feet, great for a skirmisher who flanks enemies at long range.
Barbarian is a great choice, as your unarmed strikes and extra mobility can be really useful here.
Eldritch Knight is actually kinda good here. As an Eldritch Knight, you have access to ranged cantrips for long-range combat, or you can switch over to melee combat to abuse your high mobility and stomp attack.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-04, 03:47 PM
One more option if you want to focus on mobility; Open Hand, er, Hoof Monk. It basically kind of has Mobile as a subclass feature, as you wind up with the 10 feet of extra movement and the opponent can't take reactions if you hit with a Flurry of Blows strike. That's Ki-dependent, of course, but, well, the idea of a Centaur Monk is funny so why the heck not?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-04, 03:50 PM
One more option if you want to focus on mobility; Open Hand, er, Hoof Monk. It basically kind of has Mobile as a subclass feature, as you wind up with the 10 feet of extra movement and the opponent can't take reactions if you hit with a Flurry of Blows strike. That's Ki-dependent, of course, but, well, the idea of a Centaur Monk is funny so why the heck not?

I think you're thinking of Drunken Master.

Open Palm is about pushing people away or knocking them prone. Similar, but more reliant on Wisdom and is less mobile, and has more battlefield control.

Holocron Coder
2018-12-04, 04:00 PM
Mobile...

Definitely still a contender.

Paladin...

Maybe... There's a limit to smiting, tho.

Scout Rogue...

I think that'd use another book, and I'm limited to PHB+1, which is PHB+GGR

Barbarian...

What specifically here?

Eldritch Knight..

Eh, I'm wanting to focus on martial ability, so spells extra aren't as useful.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-04, 04:01 PM
I think you're thinking of Drunken Master.

Open Palm is about pushing people away or knocking them prone. Similar, but more reliant on Wisdom and is less mobile, and has more battlefield control.

It's an Open Hand feature at level 3; if you hit with a Flurry of Blows strike, you have a few options, one of those is your target can't take reactions that turn, so it's kind of like an enhanced Disengage. He can't go Drunken Master, thanks to it being an AL campaign.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-04, 04:06 PM
Crap, you're both right on the AL restrictions.

With Barbarian, you can combine Mobile and your Unarmed Strikes to get 3 attacks with Advantage and 60 speed to disengage with every turn.

Holocron Coder
2018-12-04, 04:08 PM
Crap, you're both right on the AL restrictions.

With Barbarian, you can combine Mobile and your Unarmed Strikes to get 3 attacks with Advantage and 60 speed to disengage with every turn.

Ohh, reckless attacks, extra attack, bonus attack. So 3 attacks with advantage and move far enough away they may not follow.

That's an interesting idea...

Aett_Thorn
2018-12-04, 04:23 PM
Hunter Ranger might be another good option. Charge to where there are two enemies next to each other, hit one, use the free attack to hit the other, then use Extra Attack and your hooves to hit whichever. Then use Mobile to get away from both of them.