PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit EK in A.L.

Dalebert
2018-12-05, 12:23 AM
I made a Hobbit barbarian and quickly realized that just doesn't work. I made plans to rebuild him to a dire Hobbit (dwarf stats). Then realized playing two different barbarians in dragon Heist and the The Mad Mage was a bad idea.

So instead I want to stay Hobbit and have fun with Hobbit racial feats like second chance.

Any clever ideas for good Dex EK builds? I'm thinking sword and board, maybe shadow blade, maybe a brief warlock dip for devil's sight and hex, maybe whips for the reach.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-05, 12:33 AM
I made a Hobbit barbarian and quickly realized that just doesn't work. I made plans to rebuild him to a dire Hobbit (dwarf stats). Then realized playing two different barbarians in dragon Heist and the The Mad Mage was a bad idea.

So instead I want to stay Hobbit and have fun with Hobbit racial feats like second chance.

Any clever ideas for good Dex EK builds? I'm thinking sword and board, maybe shadow blade, maybe a brief warlock dip for devil's sight and hex, maybe whips for the reach.

Eldritch knights also make excellent archers, use your spells for defense and emergency buttons.

Kind of depends on how much your dm will be a stickler on arrows in a dungeon crawl but then again short bows are pretty common.

Lack of darkvision in a dungeon crawls sounds like a very dangerous plan, could fun but could get you killed fast, if the whole group is mostly humans and halflingd it won’t matter much as nobody can see in the dark, if you are the only one without it, it sucks.

Warlock dip is very common where I live, to the point it is rare to see someone without hexblade if they have even close to an ok charisma.

I would also look at scout rogue, it does not get much love but it is very nice.

Could go deepstalker for vision help and dungeon centric things but they are a little on the nose for my taste for that setting.

Dalebert
2018-12-05, 12:40 AM
I've played a lot of rogues and it's a little too easy and obvious. Trying to do things I haven't done to death which right now is barbarians and fighters. I like the idea of lots of attacks and feats and some spells to help synergize with that.

Eragon123
2018-12-05, 12:54 AM
I would also say a two weapon fighting barbarian halfling isn't bad and a fun concept. I mean it's practically Belkar.

Crgaston
2018-12-05, 01:01 AM
One level of Shadow Sorcerer would get you Darkvision with a 1 level dip instead of two, and you wouldn't need a Cha over 13 ever. It'd get you an early start on your casting as well if you went F1/S1/Fx, plus all those off-school spell choices.

But then again, there's the Light cantrip. Cast it on a rock and put it in a container with a variable aperture and you have a stealth-friendly flashlight and combat illumination when you need it. And you'll eventually have access to the Darkvision spell. And Goggles of Night are Uncommon. So you can probably survive without multiclassing for it.

McSkrag
2018-12-05, 01:15 AM
A Stout halfling would work great as EK. You could grab something like this:

STR 8 | 16 DEX | CON 16 | INT 14 | WIS 12 | CHA 8

Take dueling and use a rapier and shield or take TWF and take the Mobility feat and be a skirmisher that can run through crowds.

I recommend Find Familiar at 3rd level because it's fun and as so many uses in and out of combat.

Another option similar to a DEX EK would be a Gloomstalker Ranger. That would give you darkvision and hunter's mark which is similar to Hexblade but you wouldn't have to multiclass.

GreyBlack
2018-12-05, 01:20 AM
The problem with playing a Hobbit in AL is that you have disadvantage on all saving throws against the Tolkien estate. Otherwise, it's fine.