PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Persistent Hunter's Mercy

Urudin
2018-12-05, 03:04 AM
Can you persist ranger spell hunter's mercy (Spell compendium, p.117) using divine metamagic? While it has duration of 1 round, and it is personal, the text states tha the first hit with a bow is guaranteed to crit for the next round.

Silva Stormrage
2018-12-05, 03:18 AM
Can you persist ranger spell hunter's mercy (Spell compendium, p.117) using divine metamagic? While it has duration of 1 round, and it is personal, the text states tha the first hit with a bow is guaranteed to crit for the next round.

I mean, you CAN persist the spell but the line, "If you don't hit in the round following the casting of this spell, the effect is wasted" kinda removes the point. The spell would have a 24 hour duration but have no effect beyond that first hit in the next round.

Urudin
2018-12-05, 05:27 AM
Hmm, and I have thought that the text is because of duration: 1 round, and if we make it persistent, then it every first attack in the round which was confirmed will be automatically crit.
Are there even any good spells for bow mystic ranger to be worth 3 feats expenditure on divine metamagic and some multiclass dip shenanigans?

DarkSoul
2018-12-05, 06:11 AM
If you're using Mystic Ranger, ask the DM if you can switch out the Magic Fang spells in the ranger spell list for Magic Weapon.

If you're thinking about dipping for a turning pool, there's always Travel Devotion and sacrifice turn attempts for extra uses. Even a 12 Charisma will get you 4 turns -> 2 extra uses of Travel Devotion per day.

Urudin
2018-12-05, 07:05 AM
It is build for my friend, she wants to play catfolk - so she has +2 CHA and +4 DEX (dm agreed for no LA for that race, since earlier he agreed for free drow for one of the players).
Unfortunately, DM has a stance that anything which is RAW goes. He even enforces multiclass penalties. And since one of the other players tricked him into allowing generic classes from UA, i thought about something like mystic ranger with dip of cloistered cleric with turn undead changed to destroy undead (counts to the DMM pool) and 1 level of generic warrior with turn undead to double the pool. However, I have no idea if ranger has any useful spells. The three I thought about were arrow storm, hunter's mercy and swift, haste.

We have 7 people party with a big power gaps, and thanks to the advice of DM our archer ranger is on the bottom. When she has bad modifiers to her attacks because of the people locked down in meele he tells her to stop shooting (forgetting her character concept) and start fighting with meele. I have no idea why he advised her skill focus (spot) instead of precise shot. With two -6 attacks she has almost no chances to hit :smallfurious:

DarkSoul
2018-12-06, 07:09 AM
Ranger has useful spells, just not much worth persisting. The big one that clerics persist is Divine Power, which doesn't do much for a ranger anyway because they're already full BAB. What level are you creating this ranger at?

Cosi
2018-12-06, 07:15 AM
Rangers have hunter's eye which is fairly nice for use with Persistent Spell. It's a lot better on builds that either boost their caster level, or have other sources of sneak attack (Unseen Seer), but the Ranger's combat styles are both of the "make lots of attacks" style that benefits from per-attack damage bonuses, so it's passable for them.

Goaty14
2018-12-06, 08:06 AM
The answer is that if a player can trick the DM into allowing generic classes from UA, you should also trick the DM into allowing the retraining rules from PHBII, and then retrain into something that doesn't make your attack routine -6/-6 :smallsmile: If not, you gotta tell us how much build freedom the character otherwise has, so we can make the most of it.