PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to edit the offline character builder tool

brakthir
2018-12-05, 10:52 AM
To allow like bonuses to stack? Aka feat bonuses/power bonuses. Our homebrew game lets all bonuses stack.

Yakk
2018-12-05, 11:29 AM
Yes, but it would be difficult.

The offline builder keeps its rules in a pile of configuration files.

You could modify said files to ensure that all bonuses are untyped. Untyped bonuses stack unless they come from the same named game element (basically, they have the "type" of the name of the "card/feat/feature" that produces them).

I haven't done modification of the configuration files in a long time. But you probably need some minor scripting skills to change *every* bonus type at once, plus find some tutorials on how to modify the config files, and a bunch of hours of time to do the usual learn-attempt-check loop to be sufficiently expert at it.

Waddacku
2018-12-08, 07:47 AM
If you have CBLoader, you can just open the file combined.dnd40 in whatever your preferred text editor is and do a replace all on the strings
type="Feat" /> to just
/> and
type="Item" to nothing. That'll take care of nearly all of it. Anything those didn't catch you can just spot fix later. If you editor cares about case matching, you might have to run them with lowercase initial letters, too, to catch everything.
The replacement for the feat type include the end of the tag is because type="Feat" is also used in a different spot to declare rules elements as feats. Fortunately, in the rules adding tags, bonus types are almost always the last thing before the tag closes.

Dimers
2018-12-08, 03:38 PM
Hm! Would that "combined.dnd40" file also be my gateway to fixing typos and such? I'd love the opportunity to tighten up the editing for individual entries.

Waddacku
2018-12-09, 05:37 AM
Yes, that should be the case. I'm not sure exactly how the main and part files interact, but it might make more sense to make changes in the relevant part files you possess, because I believe those are merged to form the combined file. Otherwise I think running an update might wipe out your changes. If you don't update on launch I don't think there'll be a problem, though. I suggested combined.dnd40 in my previous post because then you only have to do the replace all procedure on a single document.

The syntax in general seems pretty simple, so implementing house rules should be easy, too.

Dimers
2018-12-10, 01:43 AM
Moot point for me, sadly -- I was thinking of the portable compendium, not the character builder. Oops. :smallredface:

Waddacku
2018-12-12, 09:04 AM
That's even easier, though... You just edit the .sql files in a text editor to say whatever you want. Don't even have to figure out how to make it add numbers or anything.

Dimers
2018-12-12, 09:47 PM
Neat! Imma go find an error to correct! :smallbiggrin: