PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Mordekin’s Marvelous Mansion and Teleport

kalos72
2018-12-05, 10:58 AM
My players had created a custom magic item called a Key of Slumber. It's here on the forums somewhere...

The key would allow them, and later others, to enter a persistent MMM where they could store their traveling items and the like. They would insert the key into a stone "lock" inset into a wall and a door would appear to allow entry.

Couldn't I use that process to move large amounts of material through teleport?

I fill the room at my HQ, close the door and take the key with me. Teleport to my trade HQ and then open the MMM there, unload the room and repeat?

We use a 3.5ish ruleset with most all materials allowed to some degree and homebrew a bit as well.

Goaty14
2018-12-05, 11:06 AM
Yes, but you still have a ways to go before you start breaking the economy like the Tippyverse does. :smallamused:

kalos72
2018-12-05, 11:11 AM
Tippy is my hero!

But not the goal, just talking through my groups idea on creating mooring towers for Eberron like elemental airships to dominate trade routes. We have a "psionic portal" network for the Empire, heavily warded/guarded, etc and we were talking through why use one vs the other.

We have a navy too of course, possible just use standard ships with super crews?

But the easier is one guy, carrying a key of slumber?

End effect is to gain massive economic leverage to get other independent cities to join the Empire.

Crake
2018-12-05, 11:15 AM
this can already be done in a myriad of ways, including: getting a massive carrying capacity and teleporting, shrinking lots of items and putting them into a portable hole then teleporting (or hell, just nesting portable holes), binding a creature with teleport at will and just spamming teleports with relatively small items (or bigger ones if you get a creature that doesn't have teleportation weight limits).

In short, yeah, sure you can transport a lot of stuff quickly, or hell, even a lot of PEOPLE quickly, but that's not something uniquely made possible by the magic item, if that was your worry, such a thing could be done easily within the system as it exists currently.

kalos72
2018-12-05, 11:33 AM
I never really got the nesting portable holes, so I kind disregarded it. :(

In volume, using a ship going 20-30-40mph holding 30 tons of cargo, while slower I would assume is still more product. Never did the math...also its more visible and more a sign of the Empires prowess.

But since my group already had the Key, figured it would be an easy way to expand on its usage.

I DO like the binding idea though...we have a Malconvoker. :P

Deadline
2018-12-05, 11:47 AM
There's also a magic item called Ring Gates, I think, that basically provides the ability to instant transport cargo between the two gates. So it's probably worth noting that there are lots of ways competing nations can do the same thing the players are looking to do. Which means that by itself, it's probably not sufficient to "demonstrate their power".

the_david
2018-12-05, 12:09 PM
As far as I can tell, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion would last only 26 hours at level 13. It also has only one entrance. An entrance that can't move. So no, you could not do this with the spell, but a magic item might be able to ignore all that. If you pay extra ofcourse.

What you are describing is a demiplane that is accessible with a Gate. That's two 9th level spells. (Gate and Genesis.) It's probably easier to use a Portable Hole and Teleport.

Goaty14
2018-12-05, 12:28 PM
As far as I can tell, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion would last only 26 hours at level 13. It also has only one entrance. An entrance that can't move. So no, you could not do this with the spell, but a magic item might be able to ignore all that. If you pay extra ofcourse.

What you are describing is a demiplane that is accessible with a Gate. That's two 9th level spells. (Gate and Genesis.) It's probably easier to use a Portable Hole and Teleport.

Read the OP. :smallannoyed:

kalos72
2018-12-05, 12:43 PM
Ring gates are 18in diameter, have a 100 mile limit and 100lb/day limit. Too small for real volume, but the right idea.

I could use them with the portable hole trick to get around the 100lb limit...but the range is still an issue.

Seeing an elemental airship flying over head... "What is that? Its the new Neverwinter Airship Squadron. Those guys rock!"

Deadline
2018-12-05, 03:24 PM
Ring gates are 18in diameter, have a 100 mile limit and 100lb/day limit. Too small for real volume, but the right idea.

I could use them with the portable hole trick to get around the 100lb limit...but the range is still an issue.

Seeing an elemental airship flying over head... "What is that? Its the new Neverwinter Airship Squadron. Those guys rock!"

Yeah, the point being is that there are lots of solutions to moving goods over long distance quickly. Because there are several methods to do so, it's also not really a great choice for a show of power.

As you mentioned, a squadron of elemental airships that people can see and feel "protected" by, that's more likely to be a useful show of power.

kalos72
2018-12-05, 04:09 PM
Yeah, the point being is that there are lots of solutions to moving goods over long distance quickly. Because there are several methods to do so, it's also not really a great choice for a show of power.

As you mentioned, a squadron of elemental airships that people can see and feel "protected" by, that's more likely to be a useful show of power.

Oh absolutely agree!

Its a toss up between quiet and secretive OR public and outlandish.

Add in Spelljammers...and sh*t gets interesting. :P