PDA

View Full Version : My crippling flaw: "Fire terrifies me." KINDA STRAHD SPOILERS

Seekergeek
2018-12-05, 11:36 AM
So my fire-rite blood hunter/light cleric just picked up what should have been a pretty minor flaw which renders her terrified of fire. Kind of crippling. She also turned evil. However, rather than make me retire the character my DM has allowed me to essentially re-spec from the ground up becoming sort of possessed by/become a worshiper of a specific far realm entity. I have to retain my feat (shield mastery) and stats (10 STR, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 18 Wis, 6 Cha)

Without spoilers, we've settled on tweaking the tempest domain changing the focus from thunder and lightning to cold and necrotic. Given my stat spread, I'm likely to shift focus from finesse fighting to ranged casting.

We lost our cleric in the last session and he'll be rolling up a monk, beside that we have an EK, a Lore Bard and myself. We're level 7.

This is what we've come up with, and we'd love an objective opinion ahead of next session. Our alternative idea is to re-fluff the twilight druid from UA with an explicit focus on just the cold and the odd necrotic spell. I felt that could work really well, particularly if one were to reflavour the wildshape and summons as taking on or conjuring gross far-realm forms...No home-brew required there.

Cleric Level Spells
1st Armour of Agathys, Grease
3rd Darkness, Misty Step
5th Hunger of Hadar, Sleet Storm
7th Dimension Door , Ice Storm
9th Cone of Cold, Enervation

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armour. Sacred Flame is replaced by Ray of Frost on your spell list.

Wrath of the Void
Also at 1st level, you can icily rebuke attackers. When a creature within 5 feet of you that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to cause the creature to make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d8 cold or necrotic damage (your choice) on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage on a successful one.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Frostrime Wrath
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to wield the power of the Star of Ice and Hate with unchecked ferocity.
When you roll cold or necrotic damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to deal maximum damage, instead of rolling.

Icy Strike
At 6th level, when you deal cold damage to a Large or smaller creature, you can also push it up to 10 feet away from you.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 cold damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Starborn
At 17th level, you have a flying speed equal to your current walking speed whenever you are not underground or indoors.

Unoriginal
2018-12-05, 11:54 AM
Just one question: why not keep playing the character, without re-spec-ing at all?

Being terrified of fire might seem crippling, but it's really not. You find your own powers scary. So what, about half of the Warlocks do too. It's not like fear stuns you mid-combat because of it.

In the Dark Soul games, the Pyromancers make very clear that one *must* be afraid of their own flame, or else pay the consequences.

Imagine all the RP opportunities you have with that character, who is now evil, but still a Cleric and very much affraid of what they worship.

I'm not going to tell you changing the character if you want to is badwrongfun, just curious about why you think it makes the PC too bothersome to play as is.

Seekergeek
2018-12-05, 11:59 AM
Just one question: why not keep playing the character, without re-spec-ing at all?

Being terrified of fire might seem crippling, but it's really not. You find your own powers scary. So what, about half of the Warlocks do too. It's not like fear stuns you mid-combat because of it.

In the Dark Soul games, the Pyromancers make very clear that one *must* be afraid of their own flame, or else pay the consequences.

Imagine all the RP opportunities you have with that character, who is now evil, but still a Cleric and very much affraid of what they worship.

I'm not going to tell you changing the character if you want to is badwrongfun, just curious about why you think it makes the PC too bothersome to play as is.

That's...that's a very good question. Damn it. Welcome to the table, Door number 3!

edit: I guess the short answer is because the DM said so? I obviously haven't presented this defence and he'd probably be fine with that if I wanted to go that route. I think he was already trying to throw me a bone by allowing me to retain control of the character when the module itself says I should be under his control now. Assuming that I'm stuck with a respec or a new character, though, does the swap from lightning/thunder to cold/necrotic and tweaked spell list seem fairly ok?

GlenSmash!
2018-12-05, 12:15 PM

Indeed. When i was starting to ride motorcycles, I told a long time rider friend that I didn't think I could do it as I was scared of them. It turns out he is scared to every time he gets on one, and that fear was a good thing. Totally changed my perspective.

Laserlight
2018-12-05, 12:52 PM
One player at our table had a character who was a Priest of Vulcan and not at all afraid of fire. His arms, face and chest were scarred from all the burns and blasts he'd received; a little more fear might have been better for his health (and ability to get dates).

This player was the guy who said "Sane, sensible characters are boring. The more eccentric, the more memorable."

Snowbluff
2018-12-05, 01:09 PM
This player was the guy who said "Sane, sensible characters are boring. The more eccentric, the more memorable."

I readily adhere to this statement. Most of my characters are nuts.

RedMage125
2018-12-05, 03:08 PM
I readily adhere to this statement. Most of my characters are nuts.

The distinction between "crazy-brave" and "crazy-crazy" is sometimes only measured by success in the endeavor.

And when talking about D&D PCs, we're talking about individuals who see dragons, flesh golems, werewolves, giants, undead and the like, and say to themselves, "what can I do to engage with and hurt this thing?"

Given that, aren't all of our characters "a little nuts"?

jdolch
2018-12-05, 03:13 PM
IMO every single Character going through Curse of Strahd is either going "a little Nuts" or was "Lots of Nuts" to begin with.

Seekergeek
2018-12-05, 03:31 PM
My character was certainly starting to show cracks - she'd developed a drinking problem over the last few months, and was experiencing a real crisis of faith (particularly after meeting a certain someone is Krezk) which is why she accepted the gift (and inadvertently the flaw) in the first place. The descent into madness being reflected in a dramatic shift in abilities strikes me as somewhat appropriate and will probably unsettle the party who don't know she's accepted the gift or become an Evil Elizabeth.

ToastyTobasco
2018-12-07, 07:48 PM
Currently in a CoS game with a Paladin who just had a lost soul crammed into his body. Paladin is a bit of a stumbling dork and the other soul is an evil power hungry mercenary. Evil soul has been piloting since leaving Barovia Village but checked out after getting hit by lightning twice within about 12 hours time. Now the Pally is back in for the next session (sadly wont be for like a month thanks to smash bros T-T). I really want to get this guys fleshed out before the Amber Temple. Meeting the guy in the abbey will be interesting (If we ever do, our party kinda didnt latch onto the story hook for Krezk's problems. We bee-lined Ireena to Krezk and got her safe. Rather timid party)