PDA

View Full Version : 5e Companion Stats

Torzen
2018-12-05, 06:34 PM
I have a new campaign I've started as DM, and in it there is a need for a animal companion. I just can't figure out how to fill out the animal companion sheet. Does anybody have some advice on filling them out. I have a few different sheets for it already to chose from but can't find canon on filling one out.

Edit: I have a animal companion sheet just wondering if anyone out there has filled one out before. Mainly just the conversion from the monster manual stats to companion stats.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-06, 11:05 AM
I have a new campaign I've started as DM, and in it there is a need for a animal companion. I just can't figure out how to fill out the animal companion sheet. Does anybody have some advice on filling them out. I have a few different sheets for it already to chose from but can't find canon on filling one out.

I'm a little confused on what you're asking. Are you saying there's difficulty with the sheet, or finding information on the animal companions?

Because with the standard Ranger being the only source of an Animal Companion, the only things you have to track are:

Its stats
Its skills
Its attacks
And their owner's proficiency bonus.

Nothing else matters. They don't use their own ability modifiers or proficiency like characters do, they use the exact numbers listed on their stat block. A CR1 Brown Bear, for instance, has a listed +6 to hit on their attacks, ignoring whatever their Strength or "Proficiency" is. An animal companion version of the same beast would add their owner's proficiency to the animal's AC, attack and damage.

Vogie
2018-12-06, 11:14 AM
The other way of getting an animal companion by RAW is using Animal Friendship on a creature that has intelligence of 3 or less that fails a wisdom saving throw... and then, their stats are just whatever that creature's stats, as though it was an NPC monster.

Torzen
2018-12-06, 11:22 PM
I'm a little confused on what you're asking. Are you saying there's difficulty with the sheet, or finding information on the animal companions?

It is filling out the sheet that is giving us some difficulty. I've personally never dealt with animal companions before. And it's just finding the way to fill it out that has been bugging me.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-06, 11:49 PM
It is filling out the sheet that is giving us some difficulty. I've personally never dealt with animal companions before. And it's just finding the way to fill it out that has been bugging me.

If you are reffering to a Character Sheet and you don't know where to put it, you could always just put the stats on a seperate sheet.

Bieskaon
2018-12-07, 06:47 AM
Hi Torzen,

could you post your companion-sheet and point out the problems you have with it?

I gave one of my players a companionsheet as well. It was more basic than a real charactersheet.
Focusing just on the things you need, and not on the ones you dont (p.e. medicine, religion skills etc.)

so long

Bieskaon

Torzen
2018-12-12, 12:59 PM
Hi Torzen,

could you post your companion-sheet and point out the problems you have with it?

I gave one of my players a companionsheet as well. It was more basic than a real charactersheet.
Focusing just on the things you need, and not on the ones you dont (p.e. medicine, religion skills etc.)

so long

Bieskaon

Thanks for the offer but never mind. lol My player found a way to fill it out that works pretty well.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/100866/how-do-i-calculate-and-fill-out-a-companion-sheet-for-ranger-in-5e

We ended up using this as the sheet and the means to fill it out. It was quite easy this way.