PDA

View Full Version : Feeding limits of a bag of devouring?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-05, 07:48 PM
Just curious, as written it looks like as long as you can fit it in the bag, 2 foot diameter, the extra deminsional being will eat it.

Could you say feed an entire dead platoon of an evil army to it in over a few hours?

denthor
2018-12-05, 07:50 PM
Wow good thought clever thinking . But I think it takes 24 hours for the object to disappear.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-05, 08:14 PM
Wow good thought clever thinking . But I think it takes 24 hours for the object to disappear.

It's technically not 24 hours, but once each day (the DM determining when each day)

It's also up for debate on whether a dead creature would remain in the bag for that duration. Inanimate objects remain until that trigger happens whereas creatures (not specified as living in this case) are devoured at the start of their turn.

Animal or Plant matter is consumed immediately. I would argue in favor of using this treatment for most corpses, however, corpses are considered objects by raw and would probably fall under the inanimate object ruling.

In the case that your DM rules that they count as objects, you wouldn't be able to fit more than a few (neatly cut up) bodies inside and that would really be pushing the limits of 1 cubic foot of space.

Nifft
2018-12-05, 08:31 PM
I think you could feed an entire setting to a Bag of Devouring, it would just take a while.

jdolch
2018-12-05, 08:51 PM
But then you have to bring the bag to Weight Watchers once a week.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-05, 10:51 PM
If I was playing an evil caster I would so get a decanter of endless water and rest this theory.

Lunali
2018-12-05, 11:17 PM
If I was playing an evil caster I would so get a decanter of endless water and rest this theory.

Unfortunately the decanter is no longer 'set it and forget it,' you have to say the command word every 6 seconds. Though now that I think about it, you could set a magic mouth to just repeat the command word.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-05, 11:21 PM
Unfortunately the decanter is no longer 'set it and forget it,' you have to say the command word every 6 seconds. Though now that I think about it, you could set a magic mouth to just repeat the command word.

I used six of those some sovereign glue and a folding boat to make my own speedboat once in a pirate campaign.