PDA

View Full Version : DM Help No idea how to start my adventure

Northborn
2018-12-05, 08:17 PM
Hey guys. So I had a good idea that ended up being a horrible mistake. I'm starting a game soon that takes place in the ocean, it's a sailing based game. One of my player has no idea what to play. I say "No problem" and we use Central Casting: Heroes of Legend to make her character. She likes what we come up with a lot, and so do I. My other player thinks this looks fun and makes his character the same way. The problem I have is now both my players are incredibly wealthy. I now have no hook. Before it was easy "You're both soldiers on a ship. Naval combat breaks out on the open seas. You're being boarded." Now I don't even know how to get two nobles from different kingdoms, one of which isn't even in the war out into a warzone. Any of you have good hooks for rich PCs to enter a sea of piracy, war, and dark secrets?

Arbane
2018-12-05, 08:36 PM
Before it was easy "You're both soldiers on a ship. Naval combat breaks out on the open seas. You're being boarded." Now I don't even know how to get two nobles from different kingdoms, one of which isn't even in the war out into a warzone. Any of you have good hooks for rich PCs to enter a sea of piracy, war, and dark secrets?

Why would nobles NOT be in a warzone? Leading military actions is their alleged reason for existence.

The one who's not in the war was visiting their good friend when the war started/came to help.
One or both are there as 'auxiliaries' (mercenaries hired out by their state).
One of them owns the ship they're on, and the attackers are doing a little privateering on the side.
One of them owns the ship they're on, and THEY are doing a little privateering on the side.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-12-05, 08:46 PM
-A pirate has blackmail on them, and they swore an oath to service in order to keep their secret kept.
-Wanderlust plus sneaking away on a random ship is always a recipe for fun adventures.
-Their family got rich from water trade, and they were supposed to meet a contact for a routine ship inspection when pirates duped them on board
-One of the pirates is rumored to have a magic item the noble's family desires, so the PC was instructed to retrieve the item... then the boat took off.

More when I think of it...

redwizard007
2018-12-05, 09:17 PM
Both were traveling to a wedding, peace summit, trade talks, or comic con. They ended up on the same ship for part of the journey...

Knaight
2018-12-05, 10:25 PM
Both of the nobles involved are from wealthy families, but the vast majority of that wealth is tied up in land. This ship and its cargo represents a joint venture on their part to get wealthy in money, and a significant amount of accumulated liquid wealth is tied up in it, on a 20 year venture to make as much money as possible, then dissolve the holdings between them. This being important, both families put an actual family member on the ship. Enter the PCs.

Erloas
2018-12-05, 11:02 PM
Depending on the setting, most nobility is synonymous with military.
A young noble using his political power to be an officer rather than a sailor.
Envoy to another country.
Trying to work on an alliance.
Simply on vacation or seeing the world.

Coventry
2018-12-06, 01:20 AM
You're both soldiers on a ship.

This still works, except it could be, "you're both junior officers on a ship, expected by your rich parents to put in an honorable tour of duty to keep your share of the family fortune."

Firest Kathon
2018-12-06, 04:40 AM
Or just put the burden on your players. "Your characters are both on a ship in a warzone. Tell me why!"

Wraith
2018-12-06, 05:32 AM
If you don't know why something has happened, gloss over it and move on. The GM is not required to spill ANY of their secrets to the players (let alone the fact that you HAVE no secrets) and your NPCs are free to be genuinely ignorant of what's occurring around them if asked.
Cultivate an air of mystery, never confirm or deny anything, and if a player asks if something happens due to [plot hook] then you smile knowingly, say "Could be..." and let them run with it. :smallbiggrin:

Here's how you get started;

"The roar of a cannon wakes you suddenly, and you are roused to full consciousness by the screams of men in pain and the spray of salt-water in your face. You have no memory of ever boarding a ship, and even less idea why you are bound to the mast with thick ropes. The sailor who cuts you free and thrusts a sword into your bewildered grasp has no inclination to tell you anything before sprinting away to man his nearby station as boarders begin to swing over the rails; Roll initiative."

Pauly
2018-12-06, 08:19 AM
- their wealth comes from colonial assets which requires members of the family to supervise.
- boredom with the mundane city life
- explorers/scientist out to make new discoveries
- on the run from crimes of violence
- on the run to avoid an arranged marriage or shotgun wedding
- family tradition is that they must prove their mettle by adventuring/creating a new stream of wealth
- seeking revenge on the person who [insert motivation]

Jay R
2018-12-07, 02:47 PM
It's not your problem.

"We're going to start on an ocean voyage from here to here. Come up with a reason why your character chose to take such a voyage, and we can start the game."

Segev
2018-12-07, 02:58 PM
Or just put the burden on your players. "Your characters are both on a ship in a warzone. Tell me why!"

It's not your problem.

"We're going to start on an ocean voyage from here to here. Come up with a reason why your character chose to take such a voyage, and we can start the game."These are excellent options. Help the players come up with the reason!

That said, if they wanted help making characters, then they may not have the ideas for it. In which case...

Both of the nobles involved are from wealthy families, but the vast majority of that wealth is tied up in land. This ship and its cargo represents a joint venture on their part to get wealthy in money, and a significant amount of accumulated liquid wealth is tied up in it, on a 20 year venture to make as much money as possible, then dissolve the holdings between them. This being important, both families put an actual family member on the ship. Enter the PCs.

This still works, except it could be, "you're both junior officers on a ship, expected by your rich parents to put in an honorable tour of duty to keep your share of the family fortune."

One or both of these works well. As wealthy nobles, they could be the sponsors for this trip. As adventurers, they're aboard to see the world and oversee their investment. The attack by the pirates may even be a good time for them to move up in their employees' opinion from "rich doofuses we have to tolerate" to "impressive warriors who we should follow into combat."

Berenger
2018-12-07, 05:15 PM
Now I don't even know how to get two nobles from different kingdoms, one of which isn't even in the war out into a warzone.

A younger son of a noble house seeking his fortune in a foreign war is so common throughout history it's almost a cliche. Gaining prestige and wealth by participation in a military campaign is a perfectly valid pursuit and if you aren't lucky enough to have your own war you have to get involved in someone elses.

It's also plausible for noble families of different kingdoms to have family ties with each other. Nobles often sent children to be fostered by such allied families for a few years for polical or educational purposes. Perhaps they spent a few years together as youths?

Morvram
2018-12-08, 03:19 PM
If you don't want to go the route of "nobility = military officers," you could also say that the vessel the players start on is a civilian vessel of some sort - some sort of joint venture between the kingdoms that the two nobles are part of - but this vessel happens to pass through contested territory during the war and is boarded for that reason. This shoves the player directly into the adventure without necessarily undermining their backstories. I'd say there are plenty of options with which to start this adventure.

LibraryOgre
2018-12-08, 04:53 PM
Hey guys. So I had a good idea that ended up being a horrible mistake. I'm starting a game soon that takes place in the ocean, it's a sailing based game. One of my player has no idea what to play. I say "No problem" and we use Central Casting: Heroes of Legend to make her character. She likes what we come up with a lot, and so do I. My other player thinks this looks fun and makes his character the same way. The problem I have is now both my players are incredibly wealthy. I now have no hook. Before it was easy "You're both soldiers on a ship. Naval combat breaks out on the open seas. You're being boarded." Now I don't even know how to get two nobles from different kingdoms, one of which isn't even in the war out into a warzone. Any of you have good hooks for rich PCs to enter a sea of piracy, war, and dark secrets?

Mercantile ties. They're not soldiers on a ship... they are nobles involved in a joint venture, each going along to make sure of the details (i.e. so the other guy doesn't screw them). Then pirates/privateers show up.

They're not just fighting to stay alive. They're fighting to protect their investment.