PDA

View Full Version : A Winter Horror Scenario and Monster: The Wendigo!

Grear Bylls
2018-12-05, 09:11 PM
Hey all!

I just finished up a new monster for a side quest some players of mine will come across, and it is: The Wendigo!

I stole parts of this encounter from a post on Reddit, but parts are my own.

So, the party is adventuring through the wilderness, assisting towns in the dead of winter. One of these towns has had a string of supernatural occurrences: deer carcasses being found with the heads, rears, and stomachs ripped out, livestock disappearing in the night, People vanishing only to have a gnawed arm or leg as well as a bloody garment showing up the next morning.

The local mayor said his daughter disappeared, shortly followed by her friends. The only suspicious signs she had shown before the disappearance was high taught emotions, excessive hunger, and fast weight loss. Her friends had also shown insatiable hunger as well as weight loss, but no hyperactive emotions.

She disappeared about a week ago, and her friends vanished the night after, with their remains showing up the next day. The daughters remains have not been found.

Additionally, people have reported seeing several gaunt, shambling shadows in the forest, more beast than man. This has lead them to believe that the blacksmith of the town, who is a chained up werewolf, has managed to break out every night for the past week up until the coming full moon, which will occur 2 days after the party arrives in town.

What has actually happened: due to a curse of the land and the dead winter, the spirit of the wendigo inhabitated the mayors daughter. This lead her to murder a townsperson and eat them, as her father was to charitable with their wealth, and their wasn't enough for them to eat. She then founded a small cult with her friends, where each night they would murder someone and Feast on their remains. The daughter felt exceptionally guilty as she hardly remembers her actions. She then ran into the woods to protect the town from her. Shortly her cult followed. This is when she transformed into a full blown wendigo.

Her cultists where garments of dear skulls and hides, as she hunts for larger and larger game.

So far, that's what I've got, in addition to some stats:

Wendigo
Large Monstrosity, Chaotic Evil
Armor Class 16 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 133 (14d10+56)
Speed 40 ft.
Str 19 (+4), Dex 18 (+4), Con 17 (+3), Int 12 (+1), Wis 18 (+4), Cha 9 (-1)
Saving Throws Str +8, Dex +8, Wis +8
Skills Athletics +8, Perception +8, Stealth +12, Survival +12
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical attacks not made with silver weapons.
Damage Immunities cold and necrotic.
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, poisoned.
Senses darkvision 120 ft, passive Perception 22
Languages the languages of its former self, Abyssal.
Challenge 12

Expert Hunter. The wendigo may take the Hide action as a bonus action on its turn.

Expert Tracker. The wendigo has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) checks that rely on smell.

Ice Walk. The wendigo can move across and climb icy surfaces without needing to make an ability check. Additionally, difficult terrain compromised of ice or snow doesn't cost it extra movement.

Monstrous Hunger. When the wendigo reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on its turn, the wendigo may either use its bonus action to use its Horrific Feast on the creature even though the creature is still alive, or move up to half its speed and make a bite attack.

Stench. Any creature that starts its turn within 10 feet of the wendigo must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the wendigo's Stench for 24 hours.

Wild Charge. If the wendigo moves at least 20 feet straight towards a creature right before hitting it with a Gore attack, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) piercing damage and must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. Additionally, the wendigo may then push the creature 10 feet away from it if chooses.

Actions
Multiattack. The wendigo makes three melee attacks, only one of which can be a bite attack, or two ranged attacks.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8+4) slashing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw against disease. On a failure, the target takes 7 (2d6) poison damage and is poisoned for 1 minute. On a success, it takes half as much damage and is not poisoned. A target that fails this saving throw may repeat it at the start of its turn. If it succeeds, it is no longer poisoned.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) piercing damage plus 10 (3d6) necrotic damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 16). The wendigo regains hit points equal to the necrotic damage dealt. Until the grapple ends, the wendigo can't bite another target.

Branch. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft. or range 30/90 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8+4) bludgeoning damage. One creature of the wendigo's choice within 10 ft. of the target must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw or take 9 (2d8) piercing damage, taking no damage on a successful save.

Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8+4) piercing damage.

Horrific Feast: The wendigo feasts on the corpse of one creature within 5 feet of it that died within the last minute. Each creature within 60 feet of the wendigo that can see it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of it for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turn, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends on it, it is immune to the wendigo's Horrific Feast for 24 hours.

Legendary Actions: 2
Move. The wendigo moves up to its speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
Attack. The wendigo makes an attack that isn't its Bite.
Bite (Costs 2 Actions). The wendigo makes a bite attack.

The idea behind the monster and scenario is to create a fear that you're being hunted, and you predator is right behind you. The wendigo stats give it the ability to sneak up behind a party, rush in, deal heavy damage, take some hits, and run out before its turn, dragging someone to devour right behind it. Then, it precedes to run around the battlefield, out of sight, finishing off its snack. It then swoops back in to attack a weak party member, and rinses and repeats until its Feast is finished.

What do you think?

Edit: Parts of the story are still in the works. Definitely not perfect.

RedMage125
2018-12-05, 09:27 PM
Don't wendigos run through the sky (fly speed?), leaving flaming tracks? I know 3e wendigos' feet appeared to be charred and burned stumps. When they engaged in melee, they appeared to hover over the ground.

I love the backstory, though. And the monster seems cool.

Grear Bylls
2018-12-05, 09:32 PM
Don't wendigos run through the sky (fly speed?), leaving flaming tracks? I know 3e wendigos' feet appeared to be charred and burned stumps. When they engaged in melee, they appeared to hover over the ground.

I love the backstory, though. And the monster seems cool.

I think that might be the historical background for past editions, but I'm pretty sure in "real life" (I know it's just a mythology), they don't. Also, that mental image always looked a little goofy to me. I would say the actual beast is terrestrial, while the spirit has flight, etherealness, etc.

Thank you for the kind words!

RedMage125
2018-12-05, 10:17 PM
I think that might be the historical background for past editions, but I'm pretty sure in "real life" (I know it's just a mythology), they don't. Also, that mental image always looked a little stupid to me. I would say the actual beast is terrestrial, while the spirit has flight, etherealness, etc.

Thank you for the kind words!

First time I ever heard of wendigo was from non-dnd sources. One was just a spooky story that focused primarily on the "burning feet" flying. And the second time I heard of it was the oWOD werewolf tribe. And their spirit totem. Also had reference to the "running through the air with fiery footprints", and that was based solely on the old native American myths. This was before 3e dnd was even a thing, and I don't recall wendigo in older editions than that.

Grear Bylls
2018-12-05, 10:29 PM
First time I ever heard of wendigo was from non-dnd sources. One was just a spooky story that focused primarily on the "burning feet" flying. And the second time I heard of it was the oWOD werewolf tribe. And their spirit totem. Also had reference to the "running through the air with fiery footprints", and that was based solely on the old native American myths. This was before 3e dnd was even a thing, and I don't recall wendigo in older editions than that.

Hmmm. Interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know!

I probably won't incorporate it a single a personally prefer a different aesthetic (and it may screw up the CR), but it's an easy fix to include.

Just did some more research, and it seems that some versions of the wendigo are able to fly and have burnt stumps for legs, while others prowl on hoofs or paws. It seems both are well known. I had just never heard of flying Wendigos or seen on portrayed as such until dnd.