PDA

View Full Version : Spell Sleuthing?

kalos72
2018-12-06, 12:41 AM
I want to have a Villian send a few high level summoned demons at the party in an inopportune moment.

But I DO NOT want them to know who sent them for now...

Is there a way for the party to figure it out magically/divination wise? If so, how can I hide it from the party...

I tend to miss things like this when I try to get fancy...so I thought I would ask.

3.5ish, most books allowed

Crake
2018-12-06, 12:56 AM
We'll need a bit more info about the level of the villain, the players and what they both have access to to be able to give you any concrete answers.

If the villain is level 9 and the players are level 5, there's not much the players have access to to be able to counter-divine him for example, and if the villain is level 15, mind blank should just about cover any attempt to divine information about him.

kalos72
2018-12-06, 01:04 AM
Yeah, these are epic level PC but I need a way to draw them into another plot hook. A War Summons of 25 demons dropping in on them as they visit a neighboring town would get their attention. :P

Metafaculty would beat mind blank at this level...what about divine/arcane options? Primary PC is a epic psion,there is an epic priest and wizard/archmage too...almost anything is on the board. Thats why its so hard to surprise them for long or keep thing hidden.

I GUESS I could just say now, Metafaculty didnt find anything but...they would challenge me. :)

Helluin
2018-12-06, 04:22 AM
I think when you play an epic game, it should be assumed that you need epic spells to foil your PC’s armamentarium if you want an even remotely reasonable success rate :smallconfused:

Unless you want to turn your villian Vecna-blooded, but that’s often not appropriate thematically.

kalos72
2018-12-06, 09:22 AM
Yeah, tell me about it.

I guess I could have the villain hire someone else to summons the horde and then kill them...

Helluin
2018-12-07, 06:11 PM
Yeah, tell me about it.

I guess I could have the villain hire someone else to summons the horde and then kill them...

Maybe have the villian Mindrape the other poor sod, so that PC will just think they are crazy instead of trying to interrogate him :p since Mindrape is instantaneous it should evade standard divinations like Arcane Sight.

kalos72
2018-12-12, 01:29 PM
Does classic divination/metafaculty work only on plane? Could I move the villian to a MMM or outside the Crystal Sphere to block the divination for the immediate short term?