PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 5 Lvl PrCs that have their own caster progression

BowStreetRunner
2018-12-06, 09:14 AM
The Trapsmith (Dungeonscape) is a 5 level prestige class that has its own caster progression - it doesn't advance an existing spellcasting class but rather has its own spells and spell list.

What other 5 level PrCs have their own spell list and progression like this?

Mike Miller
2018-12-06, 11:04 AM
I glanced through the Complete series, and I didn't find any that meet your request

Troacctid
2018-12-06, 11:22 AM
I have a complete list of spellcasting classes in my signature.

ShurikVch
2018-12-06, 11:55 AM
The only ones I'm aware of are Harper Scout (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting), Nentyar Hunter (Unapproachable East), and Son of Mercy (Dragon #339)

Also, in case you're need it: Fiend of Blasphemy (Fiend Folio) and Telflammar Shadowlord (Unapproachable East) are 6-levels-long, and Nar Demonbinder (Unapproachable East) - 7

BowStreetRunner
2018-12-06, 01:21 PM
The only ones I'm aware of are Harper Scout (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting), Nentyar Hunter (Unapproachable East), and Son of Mercy (Dragon #339)

Also, in case you're need it: Fiend of Blasphemy (Fiend Folio) and Telflammar Shadowlord (Unapproachable East) are 6-levels-long, and Nar Demonbinder (Unapproachable East) - 7

The 6 and 7 level ones may also prove useful, thanks. I am looking into options that take advantage of the relationship between the Dragon Disciple PrC (DD) with a casting class with only a few levels.

For full 20 level casting progressions Dragon Disciple is sub-par before Epic levels because you always are better off taking a class that fully advances your caster level. After you enter the Epic progression, you are trading off an increase in caster level versus an increase in spells per day.

For 10 level casting progressions, it can come in before you reach Epic, although you are not likely going to get all 10 levels of Dragon Disciple before you go Epic.

However, for a 5 level casting progression you not only would likely be able to get all 10 DD levels pre-Epic, but as shorter progressions don't have any Epic gain to begin with, it really is the best you are likely to do to beef up your limited casting.

So I am looking at builds that use Trapsmith or other similar classes to see if there is one that would work well to go into DD.