PDA

View Full Version : Find Familiar and Multiple Rings of Spell Storing

nickl_2000
2018-12-06, 10:25 AM
Long story short, two characters in a party of 5 have a ring of spell storing. My character will be taking MI: Wizard for Booming Blade, Prestidigitation/Control Water, and Find Familiar. Obviously I want to cast Find Familiar on the rings of spell storing giving us access to a total of three familiars.

If you were looking for that, what group of animals would you choose?
Obviously someone needs an Owl
Badger may be helpful for burrowing?
Weasel for stealth?
Bat for Blindsight?

What grouping would be the best here?

darknite
2018-12-06, 10:37 AM
Experiment a bit. See what works for you group. The forms are only locked down for a given casting.

Keravath
2018-12-06, 11:59 AM
As far as I know you cast the spell into the ring which stores it. Then when the spell is actually cast the form of the familiar is chosen. I don't see why you would need to select the form of the familiar in advance .. you aren't storing the familiar in the ring ... you are storing the spell. So just cast several find familiar into the rings and then choose the familiar when you cast the spell.

P.S. As far as I know, you should also be able to put multiple copies of the same spell into each ring so you could have 15 find familiar spells stored up if you really wanted to.

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-06, 12:12 PM
Forms can vary and are not permanent. You may need a burrowing critter one moment and then a sneaky spy the next. If you aren't sure what you'll be facing in a given adventure, I would suggest some versatility.

nickl_2000
2018-12-06, 12:16 PM
I get that you don't choose on casting the spell into the Ring, but you do choose when it is actually cast from the ring. Then you can temporarily dismiss the familiar to a pocket dimension, so there is likely a time that all three versions would be cast and the familiars would be in the pocket dimension waiting to be called back. Especially since they PCs would prefer to have the rings filled with other spells (hunter's mark, shield, feather falling, healing word, etc).

Due to wanting other things in the rings, they PCs would prefer a cast once and then cast again when something awful happens to the familiar. So, theirs would be semi-permanent, whereas mine could easily be changed every day by re-casting.

jdolch
2018-12-06, 01:08 PM
I think you are doing it wrong.

Step 1: Store "Find Familiar" into the Ring of Spellstoring
Step 2: Give it to Person A.
Step 3: Person A casts "Find Familiar" and chooses a familiar.
Step 4: Person A gets a familiar (which is permanent until killed)
Step 5: Person A gives the Ring back.

Repeat Steps 1-5 with every Person in your Party.

You don't need multiple rings AND everybody in your Party can have a familiar.

Bonus Step: Get a Paladin to cast "Find Steed" or "Find Greater Steed" into it.

dragoeniex
2018-12-06, 01:47 PM
Personally, I'd pick the spider if you want one for stealth. It's not speedy, but it can dash for 40 ft/round if needed, has a pretty decent stealth mod, and is the least suspicious animal for almost any setting even if someone does notice it.

You might want it to stick with walls/ceilings or other inconvenient places. That way, even when it fails a stealth, people have to think about how much effort they really want to put into smashing the out-of-reach insect.

Obviously, it's not carrying much for you. But great for listening in or scouting out the next room!

Dalebert
2018-12-08, 07:44 AM
I think you are doing it wrong.

Repeat Steps 1-5 with every Person in your Party.

He beat me to it. I was going to ask "Why only three?" Now it is a little time intensive in the middle of an adventure because they also have to attune, plus it takes you an hour to cast into the ring and an hour for them to cast out of the ring. So you're looking at three hours assuming no one has to spend an hour unattuning from something to make room. But I assume you do this at a casual pace between adventures so everyone can start with a familiar.

Silkensword
2018-12-09, 02:55 AM
I would recommend familiars that can themselves wear rings; think of it as an extra spell you can concentrate on!