PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How do I complement spirit guardians?

Corran
2018-12-06, 11:58 AM
Hello everyone!

I've been seeing lots of discussions about clerics recently, and I was hoping for some input about a cleric using spirit guardians. More specifically, I was asking myself how should a cleric PC plan her turns in order to get a good use out of this spell. Even more specifically, I was hoping to do that under two separate assumptions that I will present right below.

Now, I realize that spirit guardians may not always be the best spell to use, but lets put that aside for a moment. Also, sometimes I might have to use my actions, bonus actions and reactions for something situationally urgent, but lets put that aside too. I am doing that so I can free up my action economy, so I can find ways to fill it with things that would best complement my use of spirit guardians (and which of course I can change on the spot if I need to use something like healing word, inflict/cure wounds or whatever with my actions, bonus actions and reactions).
So lets think a bit like this:
--------------------- Action--------------------Bonus Action--------------Reaction
Round 1………..Spirit Guardians
Round 2
Round 3

I would also like to focus the discussion on two extreme scenarios.
1) On the first scenario, the enemies choose to focus the ball of radiance that my cleric has become, because they think that dropping her unconscious (or at the very least making her lose concentration) is the smart thing to do.
2) On the second scenario, the enemies try to scatter, perhaps focusing other allies or they could just create some distance and fall back on ranged attacks, so I dont get too many of them inside my spirit guardians' radius, because they think that this is the best way for them to handle the PC's.

These are extreme scenarios indeed, meaning that the enemies need not resort to either of those. But if spirit guardians is already a good choice of my action and concentration, such enemy behaviour is what I should look out and be prepared for in order to make a good use of this spell. So in my mind, if I am prepared to counter these two approaches that the enemies can adopt, I am fine for all the rest normal cases of enemy behaviour that logically fall in between of these two extremes. So planning for these extremes means that I will proabably make better use of this spell against enemies that would try to minimize its impact, and also that possibly I would expand the scenarios where casting this spell would be a good idea.

Lets talk a bit about each of these two extreme scenarios, so that we can understand better what kind of things we would like to do with our actions, bonus actions and reactions in each one of them.

Thinking about strategy

So, in extreme scenario 1 (enemies focus our cleric), we need to look to get features and/or look for things to do during our turn, that would help us deal with incoming attacks and with the consequences of taking damage. So dodging might be a good use of an action (in subsequent turns, that is after casting SG). Feats that boost concentration (like warcaster and resilient con) are also an investment worth thinking about. Perhaps a self cast sanctuary at round 2 might be another thing to consider (assuming the DM allows sanctuary to go on despite SG doing damage). Or we could just use our bonus action with spiritual weapon, since in this scenario the enemies are nicely stuck around us so we dont have to rely on the slow movement of SW for it to be effective. Maybe we could take a dip for the shield spell (and possibly the absorb element spell as well), or we could just take a feat like defensive duelist. Generally, things that boost our concentration and AC (hp and saves secondarily), or just things that help mitigate some of the attention from the enemies that SG drew on us (such as sanctuary) are worth thinking about. So taking one such combination (lets take dodge and spiritual weapon and the shield spell), our action economy would start looking like this (just an example, not necessarily the ideal plan):
-----------------------Action---------------------Bonus Action ----------Reaction
Round 1…………..Spirit Guardians...……………………………………………...….....Shield (if necessary)
Round 2…………..…....Dodge......……………...…....Spiritual weapon
Round 3…………....…..Dodge...………………….….….Spiritual weapon

In extreme scenario 2 (enemies try to scatter), we need to think differently. Here, boosting defenses is not so important. We should look for things that deny or hinder enemy movement (spirit guardians itself helps a bit in that respect, because it slows enemies down for their first few feet of movement) and we should also possibly look for buffing our OA's. So things like warcaster (which allows spell OA's), or non-concentration spells that create harmful zones or difficult terrain (not many I can think of, earth tremor and grease if we dip one level in wizard perhaps? Ice storm is also an option for tempest clerics I believe), or just using our actions to attempt to grapple an enemy, or even something like the sentinel feat as well as boosts to our own mobility if we can get our hands on some (longstrider perhaps?). These, and stuff along these lines, are options worth considering. So our action economy would start looking differently, in that we would like to keep our reactions available for OA's, spiritual weapon wouldn't be a great option because of its low movement rate, BB or grappling would certainly be better uses of our action than dodge which we used for example when enemies focused us in the previous scenario, etc. So our action economy, if say we are using our action to grapple and our reactions for OA's, would look like this (just an example, not necessarily the ideal plan):
------------------------Action--------------Bonus Action-----------Reaction
Round 1…………...Spirit Guardians..............................……..…...OA (if allowed one)
Round 2…………….…..Grapple................................. ......……....OA (if allowed one)
Round 3………….……..Grapple................................. ......…......OA (if allowed one)

Conclusion
So, first and foremost we need to (1) consider the various investments we need to make (easy example, a feat like warcaster seems to offer us many benefits under every scenario, so it is probably a good feat to take). Then we need to (2) decide on a course of action. And after we have what we think is the best course of action, (3) we see how else we can fill our action economy. For example, if we were to assume for a moment that dodge was the best use of our action under extreme scenario 1, then our actions are pretty well covered for that encounter. With my bonus actions I assumed spiritual weapon, but maybe there is something better I can do. And even if in the end I decide that SW is indeed the best use of my bonus actions during that encounter, I still need to find (if possible) a use for my bonus action during the first turn, ie when I cast spirit guardians. In the same example, I assumed shield as an available reaction. That might not be the case of course since shield is not a cleric spell, but even if we mc'ed to get it, I would still like to have another and possibly less resource-draining reaction available, because unless I was playing with spell points (and I never have to know if that would be the case), then we probably need to use shield a bit more cautiously, so there might be turns when it would be better to have something else to do with our reaction. And in the example I used for the second extreme scenario, while our actions and reactions are busy with grapple and OA's, we would need to find a good use of our bonus actions.

Any thoughts?

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-06, 12:16 PM
My buddy used the following strategy in my horror campaign to great effect:
Round 1: Cast Spiritual Weapon as a bonus action, Cast Spirit Guardians as an action, move into range.
Round 2: Bonus action to direct the whip to move, Let the Guardians do their damage, cast a damaging cantrip.
Round 3: Same as round 2.
Etc...

Basically, he used those two spells as his mainstays of combat, while adding a bit more with his cantrips. Mostly Toll the Dead.

jaappleton
2018-12-06, 12:18 PM
"Why Spirit Guardians, you look lovely today."

stoutstien
2018-12-06, 12:23 PM
My buddy used the following strategy in my horror campaign to great effect:
Round 1: Cast Spiritual Weapon as a bonus action, Cast Spirit Guardians as an action, move into range.
Round 2: Bonus action to direct the whip to move, Let the Guardians do their damage, cast a damaging cantrip.
Round 3: Same as round 2.
Etc...

Basically, he used those two spells as his mainstays of combat, while adding a bit more with his cantrips. Mostly Toll the Dead.
You can't cast two non cantrip spell in one turn

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-06, 12:40 PM
Other options include using things like PAM + Sentinel, on something like a Death Cleric, to force enemies within the range of Spirit Guardians without being in range enough to attack you.

Additionally, a casting of Guardian of Faith is an option for further zone control, since it doesn't consume Concentration.

Dipping into another class, like Druid, can give you access to more zone control options like Erupting Earth or Earth Tremor can add additional control without Concentration.

Depending on how your DM rules it, you may be able to use Sanctuary while having Spirit Guardians up as a defensive option while you heal allies as you sit safely in the middle of combat.

You can dip 2 levels into Sorcerer, which would provide the aforementioned Shield while also giving you the option to cast Spirit Guardians as a bonus action, to cast a cantrip in the same turn.

solidork
2018-12-06, 12:43 PM
Another common problem is if the enemies are already scattered when you start. My favorite solution to this is an upcast Command set to "approach". Denying multiple enemies their turn while also setting up some nice AOE on following turns is well worth the spell slot.

darknite
2018-12-06, 01:02 PM
For your typical tank cleric...

Turn 1 - Cast Spirit Guardians, move in behind other front-liners.
Turn 2 - Move forward into the fray. Action=Dodge, Bonus Action=Spiritual Weapon.
Turn 3 - Repeat.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-06, 01:25 PM
You can't cast two non cantrip spell in one turn

You can. You can't cast bonus action spell and non-cantrip spell in one turn, though.

stoutstien
2018-12-06, 01:34 PM
You can. You can't cast bonus action spell and non-cantrip spell in one turn, though.
Yeah that rule. Lol

Guy Lombard-O
2018-12-06, 01:54 PM
Other options include using things like PAM + Sentinel, on something like a Death Cleric, to force enemies within the range of Spirit Guardians without being in range enough to attack you.

Additionally, a casting of Guardian of Faith is an option for further zone control, since it doesn't consume Concentration.

Dipping into another class, like Druid, can give you access to more zone control options like Erupting Earth or Earth Tremor can add additional control without Concentration.

Depending on how your DM rules it, you may be able to use Sanctuary while having Spirit Guardians up as a defensive option while you heal allies as you sit safely in the middle of combat.

You can dip 2 levels into Sorcerer, which would provide the aforementioned Shield while also giving you the option to cast Spirit Guardians as a bonus action, to cast a cantrip in the same turn.

Neat ideas (but I think you meant 3 level Sorcerer dip?).

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-06, 02:08 PM
Neat ideas (but I think you meant 3 level Sorcerer dip?).

Yes, I thought that they gained Metamagic at level 2. They instead get Sorcery Points at level 2 (to, I guess, convert into level 1 spell slots? Not really sure why they just don't' have more level 1 slots).

jiriku
2018-12-06, 02:51 PM
Against opponents that your party outnumbers, nets aren't terrible. A net restrains automatically on hit, and the creature MUST burn an action or at least an attack to remove it. Spending your action to force an enemy to spend an action is a good deal, especially when your side already has an action advantage and you're dealing free damage every round with spirit guardians.

Party synergy is worth exploring:

Few clerics will have martial weapon proficiency, polearm master, sentinel, and warcaster all online before a very late level. But a cleric and a fighter together can easily produce this by 8th level.

Many summoned creatures are excellent grapplers, and many area-control spells like web are also very effective at restricting enemy mobility. A cleric concentrating on spirit guardians can't cast these spells, but an allied druid, sorcerer, or wizard can do so. A bard can use spells like command, dissonant whispers, or suggestion to drive enemies into your damaging spell and make them stick there.

Warlocks with repelling blast can knock foes into your spell effect, as can fighters with forced-movement attacks.

So there's a dimension of complementarity you can create that occurs at the party level rather than the PC level. I think it boils down to two questions:
What can my party do to complement spirit guardians?
What can I do to free my party from other concerns so that they have the luxury of trying to synergize with spirit guardians?

In particular, you've got a lot of actions available to spend on any action other than a concentration spell, and you can use these actions to keep the heat off your party so they can keep the heat on the enemy. This includes actions you've already identified, like using healing word to stand up an ally who's down and to save someone else the trouble of having to go rescue them. It also includes more powerful heals and status-removal effects like heal, freedom of movement, warding bond, and lesser/greater restoration.

CTurbo
2018-12-06, 09:23 PM
Seriously Spirit Guardians + Spiritual Weapon + Dodge is really really good.

On one of my Tempest Clerics I used the above tri-combo while also using a Sentinel reaction attack most rounds. When I did get attacked I just used Wrath of the Storm that usually did a decent job of deterring enemies from attacking me.

Foxhound438
2018-12-06, 10:03 PM
it could partially depend on your flavor of cleric. For example, if you're doing something that doesn't get heavy armor, you'll for the most part lose the option to grapple... I mean, I guess you could try, but good luck optimizing for that. Obviously heavy armor clerics are covered in that regard, but it's something to think about.

Light cleric in specific can get away to some degree with not using shield thanks to warding flare. You're at higher risk against multiple attacks, but drawing aggro is still probably a good use of your time, assuming you aren't half dead going into it. Radiance of the Dawn is also a pretty good way to stack up the AOE damage, and comes back on short rests.

Nature domain gets Plant Growth, which importantly makes it so everything has to spend 4 feet to move one foot (20 to move into a 5' square) and stacks with the spirit guardians' speed halving- which means if it's on the ground, it needs to spend effectively 40 feet of movement to get through one square, meaning a lot of things will have to dash to move at all, and they're still moving just 5 feet. You can at that point spend your next few turns watching as everything dies in your brilliance, disengaging and moving a square away if things are trying to get to you or keeping pace and hitting with cantrips if they're trying to move away. Best part is, neither slowing effect is difficult terrain, so effects similar to mobile on enemies don't apply to either. Not sure which I would cast first, but none the less a potent combo that can solo clear encounters, if at a high cost in spell slots

One last thing, I noticed that you brought up sanctuary in your OP- note that the latest errata has patched sanctuarty to end if you deal damage to a target (ie, with spirit guardians), so that simply won't work, unfortunately.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-06, 10:15 PM
Take arcana cleric, for booming blade.

Cast spirit guardians, bonus action spiritual weapon, close on an enemy.
Next turn, booming blade.
How bad do they REALLY want to get out of range?

Sentinel is great for a SG cleric build.

Malifice
2018-12-07, 12:02 AM
By saying: 'thank you, you look nice today.'

Nhorianscum
2018-12-07, 12:22 AM
Options turn one without a multiclass.

Cast SW instead of SG. This is probably our best opener in terms of action enconomy as it leaves our full action open for channel divinity/dodge/dash or an attack cantrip.

SG with on-point positioning, here we are aiming to control an area by setting up a 7 tile diameter circle of hate while avoiding as many attacks as possible. On turn 2 we swap over to actually dealing damage but for now BC is a good use.

Chose to do neither: We have a Lot of good options turn 1. But this thread isn't about those.

With multiclassing.

Rouge/monk/sorcerer/fighter lets you just dash in and crank out SG recklessly on turn 1 every time. Shadow Mark Elf from ebberon also lets us hide in plain sight (with a boost) as a bonus action anywhere 1/short rest.

CTurbo
2018-12-07, 01:22 AM
Spirit Guardians can be complimented by a high AC, the Warcaster feat, and proficiency in Con saves/checks.

Also by having ways to mitigate damage like from temp hit points, Heavy Armor Master, Stone's Endurance, Abjurer's Ward, etc...

Also having means to deter attackers from attacking you like Wrath of the Storm, Warding Flare, standing next to a buddies with Sentinel, etc...