PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow access to other spells as a reward?

jaappleton
2018-12-06, 12:09 PM
So, just throwing this out hypothetically to the forum before I ask my DM.

As some of you may know by my other posts recently, I started playing a Druid.

Specifically, a Bear stuck as a Humanoid, and my Wild Shape lets me spend time in my true form. So, I'm a bear.

What spells compliment a Bear?

I typically played Clerics before this, and I have a special affinity for Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians.

I was thinking Spiritual Weapon could be a spectral bear, maybe the spirit of my bear father coming to aid me in battle. And for Guardians, have those be bears as well.

My question is, and maybe you can answer specifically for this scenario as well as in more general terms, would you allow a character access to spells they wouldn't normally have in lieu of traditional loot, so long as it made RP sense?

DarkKnightJin
2018-12-06, 12:26 PM
If it makes sense on the story and/or for the character?
Totally.

Storm Sorcerer would get to pick Call Lightning if they want. It's fitting with the fluff.
And I doubt anything would break with metamagic that wouldn't break on other spells.

Unoriginal
2018-12-06, 12:40 PM
My question is, and maybe you can answer specifically for this scenario as well as in more general terms, would you allow a character access to spells they wouldn't normally have in lieu of traditional loot, so long as it made RP sense?

In lieu of traditional loot? Probably not.

In lieu of special reward? Sure, when it makes sense.

The treasure in the kobold's cave isn't suddenly going to contain a Scroll of Arcane Spirit Guardians the wizard can copy in their spellbook because the player want this spell.

But if they want to go on a quest for it, or do research for it, or ask for it as a reward when the Archfey Greenfellow is happy the adventurers protected their page when said page was lost in the material plane, then it'd be ok, fun and thematic. Might get it as a Boon, or just an addition to their spell list.

What spells compliment a Bear?

Enlarge/Reduce. For a bear, strong bears are big, small beings are weaker.

Fire/lightning/thunder spells. Those things are scary for a bear, obviously they'll be dangerous against others

Goodberries and any food-related spells. Food is great, for a bear.

Spiritchaser
2018-12-06, 12:54 PM
I’m not sure about the specific cases of spirit guardians or spiritual weapon on a bear, but in the general case I would certainly consider allowing access to otherwise unavailable spells. I’ve historically been fine with it so long as I couldn’t see it breaking anything, although I’ll concede I may have missed a few things.

It’d have to make sense in terms of the story, but that’s usually fairly manageable in the context of a typical D&D campaign, and let’s face it, there are tonnes of cool ways to make forbidden knowledge an interesting and unique character reward.

This is a minor caveat but: I am slightly less inclined to bolster the already strong Druid list. I’m a much easier sell when it comes to adding spells to the sorcerer or (to some extent) to the warlock spell list.

Vogie
2018-12-06, 12:59 PM
I could also see earth-moving spells like Move & Mold Earth. Infestation would be a decent cantrip, because bugs don't bother the bear.

Create Food, but only "food" as defined by a bear, such as raw salmon.

Pass without Trace

Faithful Hound, but a bear.

I could see a version of Tiny Hut, Passwall or Meld into Stone that would allow the bear to create a place to hibernate.

Enlarge/Reduce. For a bear, strong bears are big, small beings are weaker.

Enlarge only, but yes.

ruy343
2018-12-06, 08:22 PM
I absolutely would! After all, a "Wand of Magic Missiles" is basically the DM saying that any spellcaster now has access to "Magic Missile"

lunaticfringe
2018-12-06, 10:00 PM
Catnap, mini hibernation for your short rest resource party members.

Vikings wore bearskins to terrify, Fear/Cause Dear

Bears are symbols of courage, Heroism

People have invoked the Bear for spiritual protection. Abjuration spells that effect outsiders? Protection from Good & Evil, Hallow, Dispel Evil & Good, Forbiddance, Banishment. (Think Gatekeeper Druid from Eberron if you are familiar)