PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How does One roleplay Twins?

Icecaster
2018-12-06, 12:39 PM
I plan to be entering a campaign soon. If it matters, it's D&D 5e. In the game, each player has two characters, and the campaign is apparently stealth-based. I know only that the DM is a first-timer and that most of the players are relatively inexperienced. With this, I wanted to play something fun and effective, but also fun to roleplay so that I can get the other players into the game and not steal the spotlight in combat. Also, I very much wanted to play two twins. I toyed with several combinations and races, but in the end I decided to play two monks. (Way of the Shadow)

The idea is that they utilize an ancient fighting art that involves two partners that fight using each other as extensions of their own technique and take down foes together. They're ghostwise halflings too so they can communicate telepathically and make plans without having to talk aloud, which is great since I'm playing both of them. Their backstory is that they were left at a monastery at birth, and were paired with each other as lifetime combat partners since they were twins anyways. They trained with each other and were agents of the monastery, carrying out missions that needed to be done, especially in cities. Very ninja-esque. They each were given names by the monastery. One is Shen Hao which I say translates to Floating Petal and the other is Feng Li, which I say translates to Coiled Snake. Sheng Hao once snuck into the master's chamber, though, being the bold guy he is, and found the thing they came in, so he found out that their names would have been Reed and Lyle, respectively. They still use their monastery names. To differentiate between each twin, because I didn't want to actually play two of the same characters, I based each one of Yin and Yang. Shen Hao is Yang, Feng Li is Yin, and they each have a half-amulet of their side of the symbol. Shen Hao has a higher Charisma and lower Intelligence, and he's bold, creative, rash, and tough. Feng Li has a lower Charisma and higher Intelligence and is patient, respectful, adaptive, and contemplative. I also gave them each different ideals and such so that they would feel different to talk to.

As the title says, though, how should I really make this look? Is it interesting? Does it seem like they'll be the same character regardless of roleplaying? What kind of interactions might happen between them? Should I worry about that much or just rely on the telepathy aspect, having them randomly laugh at a joke the other makes or make facial expressions when nothing is happening? I really like the idea, and I want to know what I can do to make the execution as good as it is in my head. Any advice is welcome!

Nifft
2018-12-06, 12:59 PM
How many other players are there?

Is the reason you're supposed to play 2 PCs each because you have too few players, and you're expected to cover multiple roles each?

Icecaster
2018-12-06, 03:38 PM
There are three other players, I believe, each with two characters. I asked one of them that I know about composition, and I know they have a fighter, rogue, and bard among other things. It appears the stealth aspect wasn't the only thing everybody went for, and they have a pretty diverse party, so I thought it would be alright for two of the same class.

Elvensilver
2018-12-07, 02:03 PM
I really like the concept you habe there, especially the telepathy-thing and the talking (and appearently telling funny things to the other twin!) mentaly. As a twin myself, I would love to communicate like that with my sibling! But now, a question: what is the relationship of the twins? They seem to work together quite effectivly, so it cannot be strained (that much). Do they admire or envy each other for their smarts or their bravery? Do they rely on each other, knowing the strengths of the other twin? What happens when one of them is severly injured or goes down? Sure, that may be weird to play out yourself but it really defines them as twins. Hope this is helpfull!

JeenLeen
2018-12-07, 02:09 PM
I think I once saw some homebrew for a class that utilized being twins (or mystically joined entities), but I don't recall enough to even search for it and pretty sure it was 3.5 Maybe try Googling some keywords with "D&D homebrew"? It might give some inspiration even though you're going with the Monk class.

The twin angle + telepathy could just justify IC how your two characters synergize so well based on your OOC complete knowledge of what your PCs are up to. That is, you don't have to relay info between your two PCs.

To play up differences, choose at least some different skill proficiencies. You could also try for different Backgrounds. Both were monastics, but maybe one was more focused on spiritual development and chooses Acolyte while the other sometimes got out and rough in the streets in a nearby town, so go for Urchin, or was out and saved a nearby town for Folk Hero. That could fit one being more calm and collected while the other being more rash, as well as giving different proficiencies and quirks.

You could also choose different feats, if choosing feats. The more-calm one going for Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster to get some spellcasting could be a cool way to differentiate (and perhaps help the party out if you find, by that level, that some aspect is lacking in your spellcasters.)

I plan to be entering a campaign soon. If it matters, it's D&D 5e. In the game, each player has two characters, and the campaign is apparently stealth-based. I know only that the DM is a first-timer and that most of the players are relatively inexperienced.

Based on the DM and most players being new, I'd recommend not trying to get too fancy. Both being somewhat mechanically similar (same class & race) might actually help as it simplifies things.

What kind of interactions might happen between them? Should I worry about that much or just rely on the telepathy aspect, having them randomly laugh at a joke the other makes or make facial expressions when nothing is happening? I really like the idea, and I want to know what I can do to make the execution as good as it is in my head. Any advice is welcome!

Unless the other players are doing it a lot, I'd recommend limiting the "your PCs talk to each other" scenes, beyond a few things to establish personality and their interaction with each other. The main reason being that when you interact with yourself, you aren't interacting with the other players or DM, so it could seem like glory-hogging*. Also, I reckon most folk would start to feel silly or not be able to pull off well RPing two folk talking to each other. (My DM hates having NPCs talk to each other for this reason.) Though if you are great at theater or acting or such, then it's probably a cool thing occasionally.
But mainly: try to stay at the standard the rest of the table is at.
I can see it being nice if, when you have nothing much to add, saying one looks at the other and they start laughing or nodding in agreement at something unsaid.

*I don't mean for the negative connotation with this word, but couldn't think of a more neutral one.

Icecaster
2018-12-09, 11:21 AM
*snip*

Thank you! Good to know is passes the real-twin-test. Their relationship is good, but occasionally it can be strained when they have differing opinions on how to go about a solution to a problem. The yin one is more likely to try a safer approach, even if it means waiting longer, for instance, while the yang one is more likely to try riskier solutions in an attempt to succeed. If no agreement can be made on their own, they have to find a tie-breaker, which can potentially involve a contest or waiting to see if an event occurs or not by a certain time, each one making a bet. In general, though, they tend to rein each other in to a more neutral approach to any situation, so that neither makes a decision that is too rash or too passive, and compliment each other in this way. At best, their different personalities compliment each other and create good plans, while at worst they become dysfunctional and can't work together, each choosing their own path and sticking to it. I would imagine that if one of them is severely injured, the other would protect them with their life, and if one were to even die, then the other would become more neutral, now favoring both sides of yin and yang to honor their fallen brother and let their legacy live on through the remaining twin. It was very helpful, thank you!

To play up differences, choose at least some different skill proficiencies. You could also try for different Backgrounds. Both were monastics, but maybe one was more focused on spiritual development and chooses Acolyte while the other sometimes got out and rough in the streets in a nearby town, so go for Urchin, or was out and saved a nearby town for Folk Hero. That could fit one being more calm and collected while the other being more rash, as well as giving different proficiencies and quirks.

Funnily enough, I actually did pick Acolyte and Urchin for each of them.

You could also choose different feats, if choosing feats. The more-calm one going for Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster to get some spellcasting could be a cool way to differentiate (and perhaps help the party out if you find, by that level, that some aspect is lacking in your spellcasters.)

I like that idea a lot, actually. At the moment I'm looking at half-feats for them to round off their odd Dex scores, but after that I really like the idea.

Unless the other players are doing it a lot, I'd recommend limiting the "your PCs talk to each other" scenes, beyond a few things to establish personality and their interaction with each other. The main reason being that when you interact with yourself, you aren't interacting with the other players or DM, so it could seem like glory-hogging*. Also, I reckon most folk would start to feel silly or not be able to pull off well RPing two folk talking to each other. (My DM hates having NPCs talk to each other for this reason.) Though if you are great at theater or acting or such, then it's probably a cool thing occasionally.
But mainly: try to stay at the standard the rest of the table is at.
I can see it being nice if, when you have nothing much to add, saying one looks at the other and they start laughing or nodding in agreement at something unsaid.

That's true. As a DM, my players are fully aware that I dislike having two NPC's talk to each other. This is good advice, thank you very much!

I joined the campaign officially the other day (My characters were sent by their monastery to help the other players in their quest because they got sidetracked and captured), and it has gone well thus far. The other players as well as the DM expressed that they liked the concept, so that's good.

shaikujin
2018-12-13, 03:19 AM
I think a couple of teamwork feats would be a good addition. And that feat which gives double the bonus for the Aid Another action.

They have trained since young together, so should be able to read each other's thoughts even without their innate telepathy.

When they do speak, one can even finish the other's sentences. Or have one of them be the prominant speaker, who will at times pause mid sentence to allow his twin to finish the sentence.

The other thing to note is that I'm afraid Shen/Sheng Hao does not translate to anything that sounds like Floating Petal in Mandarin/Cantonese/Japanese.
It can however translate into
Rising Hero/Chivalry in Mandarin. Or Thoughtful Hero/Chivalry.

Neither does Feng Li translate to anything resembling Coiled Snake.
It translates roughly into Razor Sharpness or Phoenix Logic/Departure, or I kid you not - Pineapple.

Names with the word Phoenix in them are normally used for females though.

Also, if the monastary who adopted the twin babies suspected that they brothers, they would likely use the same character for 1 of the characters in their names to signify they are related.

Eg Sheng Hao (thoughtful chivalry) and Sheng Li (thoughtful logic).

That being said, it's a fantasy game, so having a fantasy language which has different pronunciations is perfectly fine.

SirGraystone
2018-12-14, 10:23 AM
Do you have a fighter named Caramon and a wizard called Raistlin?