PDA

View Full Version : What's the most powerful combo available for Use Magic Device?

Thorgrim
2018-12-06, 12:47 PM
Thief Rogue's level 13 subclass ability:

Use Magic Device
By 13th level, you ignore all class, race, and level requirements on the use of magic items.

Are there any unusual interactions here that make this ability particularly powerful? A non-rogue item that would be godlike in the hands of a rogue? A dwarf-only item that would be OP in the hands of an elf?

I've been racking my brains and it feels like this ability does hardly anything. It doesn't circumvent armor, alignment, spellcasting-ability, or proficiency requirements, so a lot of items that might have qualified went right out the window. Maybe something like a Dwarven Thrower could be decent but "the ability to use a Dwarven Thrower" feels very lackluster for a level 13 class feature.

Still... it definitely FEELS like the kind of thing with some subtle but powerful synergies. Anybody have any suggestions?

hymer
2018-12-06, 12:49 PM
Staff of the Woodlands would be great in the hands of anyone but a druid.

Unoriginal
2018-12-06, 12:52 PM
It does what it's meant to do, nothing more: you can use an Holy Avenger's full potential despite not being Paladin, and all that kind of things.

No, there are no particularly god-like or OP combo. There are some nice ones, though.

It doesn't mean the ability is trash or underwhelming for lvl 13. It's just that it gives the power it's meant to give, nothing more, nothing less.

nickl_2000
2018-12-06, 12:54 PM
Giving a Rogue a Staff of the Woodlands with pass without a trace at will is pretty crazy.
The instruments of the Bards are really, really powerful.

Really any of the Staffs could really add to the versatility of a Rogue.
Same for the wands, it is nice to be able to use any of those.

I don't think anything is really broken as much as really nice to have.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-06, 01:08 PM
It's really just a huge jack-of-all-trades ability; being able to use any magic wand or staff means you suddenly have all sorts of interesting utility you didn't have before. A Staff of Power? Sure, I'll take the AC and to hit bonus as I sneak attack with my magic stick.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-06, 01:17 PM
Yeah.
It’s pretty situational, but it opens a lot of doors especially at higher levels of play.

The only class that can dual wield a talisman of pure good and evil?

Staff of the Archmagi, staff of power, various wands

Dwarven Thrower, prayer beads, oath bow, and I am sure there are other crazy things to play with.

nickl_2000
2018-12-06, 01:19 PM
The only class that can dual wield a talisman of pure good and evil?

As cool as that would be, you still can't do this. This is restricted by alignment and Use Magic Devices on ignores Class, Race, and Level.

stoutstien
2018-12-06, 01:38 PM
To me it more of a plot tool.
This door can only be opened by the direct descendants of the true or king...
Or Frank the goblin thief apparently.

Damon_Tor
2018-12-06, 01:44 PM
Use any spell scroll from any class?

Sigreid
2018-12-06, 01:55 PM
Depending on the toys you find, beg, borrow, buy or steal it can give unparalleled versatility. IMO it is arguably the best subclass ability in the game.

Joe the Rat
2018-12-06, 04:05 PM
Use any spell scroll from any class?

Just like the thieves of old! Less the automatic 20% fail rate...

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-06, 07:26 PM
I think it was intended for the use of spell scrolls, wands, and staffs. Those are the most commonly class restricted items so being able to use them can be really great.

I can see stuff like this happening

DM: The red dragon awakens as you triggered the alarm on it's treasure.

Thief Rogue: I whip out my scroll of Force Cage and trap the dragon.

DM: What?

Thief Rogue: I proceed to loot the dragon horde as I easily make the breath saves. When I don't I have this Ring of Fire Resistance and can drink healing potions as a bonus action.

DM: Oh... Okay then.

R.Shackleford
2018-12-06, 07:57 PM
I think it was intended for the use of spell scrolls, wands, and staffs. Those are the most commonly class restricted items so being able to use them can be really great.

I can see stuff like this happening

DM: The red dragon awakens as you triggered the alarm on it's treasure.

Thief Rogue: I whip out my scroll of Force Cage and trap the dragon.

DM: What?

Thief Rogue: I proceed to loot the dragon horde as I easily make the breath saves. When I don't I have this Ring of Fire Resistance and can drink healing potions as a bonus action.

DM: Oh... Okay then.

Technically, healing potiona don't fall under fast hands...

But picking up more loot would so yeah...

Use your action for thebpotion amd bonus action for looting.

Jamesps
2018-12-07, 12:00 AM
It's a "one and done" but I really like a scroll of anti-magic. Being able to use this for a pure martial allows you tremendous power if you ever need to solo the right sort of encounter, something that's entirely possible given a thief's preponderance for getting places they're not supposed to be.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-07, 12:38 AM
I think the easiest way to abuse this is if you have a wizard in the party as well. With enough gold, you can basically turn your Thief into a second wizard... with more hp... and uncanny dodge and evasion.