PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Simic hybrid grapple build

Kidthe3rd
2018-12-06, 04:58 PM
Hi playground! first time poster

After reading GGtR, I was looking at making a grappler build with the simic hybrid.

My two concepts right now are a Storm Herald Barbarian for the constant fire damage and advantage on grapples, or a Oath of the Crown Paladin for spirit guardians and movement restriction with channel divinity

Thoughts?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-06, 05:29 PM
Hi playground! first time poster

After reading GGtR, I was looking at making a grappler build with the simic hybrid.

My two concepts right now are a Storm Herald Barbarian for the constant fire damage and advantage on grapples, or a Oath of the Crown Paladin for spirit guardians and movement restriction with channel divinity

Thoughts?

Why not take a look at the Battlerager Barbarian? It's explicitly designed for grappling, the spiked armor could easily be flavored as a spiked body modification, it comes with bonus action attacks, heals itself whenever it makes a Reckless Attack (reflavored as a regenerative Simic property).

A lot of people give it crap, but it's actually not any worse than any other Barbarian, and works really well with some levels into Rogue.

Alternatively, Bard does very well with Grappling, surprisingly enough. Swords works great at using your Flourishes in melee combat, increasing your AC or dragging around your victim as you keep your grapple with Expertise. The medium armor also helps a lot to deal with not having a large Dex modifier.

Izmister
2018-12-09, 01:30 AM
I shall also throw my hat into this ring as I adore grappler builds! The best thing about the simic grappler is the grappler arms, you can grapple 4 people at once, sadly you are unlikely to push or drag 4 people at once as people or monsters can be heavy. Going Barbarian will give the strength to help, but the barbarian offers something else, powerful build! they don't call it that but it is really similar, it is an option from the 6th level totem barbarian feature. (the bear one, also only while raging.)

While were here we might as well look at what else the totem barbarian does for you, at 3rd level you can get the wolf feature which gives your allies advantage if your raging and an enemy is within 5ft of you. Oh and aaaaallllll the way at 14th level there is the eagle feature, which lets you fly in little bursts while raging. Normally you would want to land before you run out cause if you dont you fall to the ground.

Yet here is the other great thing about the simic, GLIDING. So my proposal is a fairly decent grapple build at low levels, more of a supporting role than active attacker. Then at level 14 you grab as many people as you can, fly straight up, cease the grapple, and finally float gently back to terra firma. It can be pretty satisfying, as well as damaging to the enemy! sorry if this is a little (lot) long winded but i love grapple builds.

(that said if going rogue dip, sticking with it for 3 levels gets you a nifty feature from the scout subclass; if an enemy ens his turn within 5ft of you, use a reaction to move 1/2 your speed)

Damon_Tor
2018-12-09, 01:43 AM
If you're allowed UA material, the best grappler going to be a Mystic, specifically the Giant Growth ability (makes you large, and later huge, so you can eventually grapple anything in the game) and the Brute Force discipline which gives you advantage on athletics as your focus, +5 to all strength checks for a full round for 2 psi, and once you have your target(s) grappled it lets you leap 140 feet into the air for the most epic suplex ever.