PDA

View Full Version : Tortle pirate

KyleG
2018-12-06, 09:03 PM
So many characters I hope some day to play but for now just piecing together.
Like all my characters it one scene in my head that captures who they are.
In this case she is a buxom tortle (flavoured as lab created hybrid) woman staring out from a high deck across the ocean. Down on the main deck a brawl has broken out. The captain yells at her to sort it out and she her attention immediate falls to The brawl and she quickly deduces the problem/instigator vaults down onto the deck pushes past the other pirates grabs the main offender and drags him to the rails throwing him overboard.
In my mind she is oblivious to much of whats happening unless directed at an issue but is extremely good and finding quick solutions when she is focussed. Almost like she has low passive perception but high normal perception as she reads situations well.

Im after class/stat and roleplay suggestions

Unoriginal
2018-12-06, 09:10 PM
Inquisitive STR Rogue with expertise in Athletics.

MagneticKitty
2018-12-06, 09:31 PM
Sea Storm Barbarian 6 / swashbuckler rogue 14
Standard array as example
14+2, 13, 15, 8, 10+1, 12
Pirate background (phb)
Skills: athletics (bg), perception(bg), survival(tortle), intimidation(barb), nature for weather forcasting (barb) , choice of 1 (rogue)
Start barb for better hp and save prof
Sea aura gives water breathing and lightning resistance.
Uses a rapier and shield. Strengthing a finesse weapon still gives sneak attack.
Expertise in athletics for grappling and survival for navigation?
Rage for damage resistance and boost, and advantage to grapple. You can hold them in your storm aura bonus action zapping them. The sea ibeys your commands. Reckless for advantage sneak attack at will.
Multi attack in case you miss first sneak attack.
Mostly rogue for mobility and pirate flavor. Also greater damage and expertises.

Suggested feats (some, not all)
shield master, resilient(wis), sentinal, alert

Max str first, then con, then cha

KyleG
2018-12-06, 10:08 PM
Sea Storm barbarian sounds interesting. But not sure about the shield. She has a more lithe form (created for Less than nice reasons) I think She might be my first twf character with twin cutlesses or at least single sword.
I have that initial scene in my head overlayed with a slightly different approach where she recognises that the brawl is because of a theft and she wades into the fray either taking the hand of the instigator off without a thought or deftly removing a few fingers before,sending them back to work. With no formal training I think barbarian will be better thwh fighter right?

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-06, 11:00 PM
Strength Monk Drunken Master.

Easy crowd maneuverability, take athletics for grappling, kind of fits the oblivious but keen when focused nature.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-06, 11:03 PM
Or a Strength Swashbuckler Rogue.

Also "Created for Less than nice reasons" sounds like your trying to skirt around the fact that you wanted to play a Tortle but still be a Sexy Whamen.

KyleG
2018-12-07, 12:11 AM
Or a Strength Swashbuckler Rogue.

Also "Created for Less than nice reasons" sounds like your trying to skirt around the fact that you wanted to play a Tortle but still be a Sexy Whamen.

Sounds fair...lol. But hey...pirate wench for the win lol.

MagneticKitty
2018-12-07, 12:14 PM
Sea Storm barbarian sounds interesting. But not sure about the shield. She has a more lithe form (created for Less than nice reasons) I think She might be my first twf character with twin cutlesses or at least single sword.
I have that initial scene in my head overlayed with a slightly different approach where she recognises that the brawl is because of a theft and she wades into the fray either taking the hand of the instigator off without a thought or deftly removing a few fingers before,sending them back to work. With no formal training I think barbarian will be better thwh fighter right?

Dual wielding strength characters don't usually work great.. At least tortle covers your ac. You won't be getting damage on your off hand with only barb because no fighting style. Maybe ranger might fit what you want?

Id say ranger, fighter, or swords bard will give dual weilding. I'd say ranger is best if you want to be a navigator. Or pick which synergizes best stat wise with the second pick.

Then for flavor: storm sorcerer, sea storm barb, swashbuckler, land druid (coast), tempest cleric

Pick one from each?