PDA

View Full Version : Word Wizard (request)

ufo
2007-09-21, 04:06 PM
First: I know there exists a Linquamancer, just go ahead and read the post.

I've looked for a class or prestige class (no matter which) which concentrates on words and his/her extensive knowledge of them. I tend to correct my friends (yeah right, like I got any) acquintances when they spell something wrong, or speak something horribly wrong (something I can't do in English!), and I want to be able to put this in D&D. The reason I won't use the Linquamancer is that it seems more about knowledge about languages etc., though I might be wrong and that'd be horribly embarrasing.

Go work, slaves!

Exeson
2007-09-23, 08:53 AM
Well, i do not know if this is what you are looking for but there is a Truenamer class in Tome of Magic. It works off speaking funny words which are actually the 'base' language of the universe to effect things.

Kiren
2007-09-23, 09:01 AM
Well, i do not know if this is what you are looking for but there is a Truenamer class in Tome of Magic. It works off speaking funny words which are actually the 'base' language of the universe to effect things.

Its a great class if you want to insult other charactors by giving them truenames that are weird

BisectedBrioche
2007-09-23, 09:49 AM
Its actually spelled Linguamancer ¬_¬

ufo
2007-09-23, 10:20 AM

Own'd.

Seems noone but me finds it interesting and entertaining to correct people. Oh well.

Voodzik
2007-09-23, 03:01 PM

.....Wow.

So when your parents found out you were that big an *******, the actually kept you?

Wystrell
2007-09-23, 03:29 PM
Hey, I liked the idea, and I'm as big an arse when it comes to correcting the English (Common?) of others. When I read this, I opened up Notepad with the intention to make something relevant, but creativity escaped me. Don't worry, your cause is not a hopeless one. :smallbiggrin:

AKA_Bait
2007-09-23, 03:35 PM
First: I know there exists a Linquamancer, just go ahead and read the post.

I've looked for a class or prestige class (no matter which) which concentrates on words and his/her extensive knowledge of them. I tend to correct my friends (yeah right, like I got any) acquintances when they spell something wrong, or speak something horribly wrong (something I can't do in English!), and I want to be able to put this in D&D. The reason I won't use the Linquamancer is that it seems more about knowledge about languages etc., though I might be wrong and that'd be horribly embarrasing.

Go work, slaves!

Seems to me that the flavor of any wizard could work with this without the need to change any class features. Any magic with a verbal component is going to require speaking the words exactly right. Just play the mage as anal about all the words people use as they are about the words in spells. For added fun, make them slightly terrified that one of their non-magical (see stupid) comrades will accidentally cast a spell if they mispronounce some things in common in the right order.

ufo
2007-09-23, 03:37 PM
Hey, I liked the idea, and I'm as big an arse when it comes to correcting the English (Common?) of others. When I read this, I opened up Notepad with the intention to make something relevant, but creativity escaped me. Don't worry, your cause is not a hopeless one. :smallbiggrin:

Good to know. I like the concept of someone that's not particulary intelligent generally, but knows everything about almost every single word in [insert language].