PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psionics Augmented blade shenanigans?

HMD
2018-12-06, 10:23 PM
I'm starting a campaign at level 3, and one of my players wants to take the augmented blade archetype and take a feat to allow him to use firearms...
can a Psicrystal be inserted into a ranged weapon like a bow or a gun? I cant find an answer anywhere and the information in the class inst very clear about it, as it never specifies melee or ranged. I assume (yes I know what assuming does) the answer is no, but on PFSRD, even the soul-knife ability doesn't strictly specify melee or ranged, is this a loophole or been errated or just common sense to not try to pull this? Or am I in the wrong and this is a totally valid thing to do? Thanks

TL:DR
augmented blades archetypes class given psicrystal in bow/gun? yes or no?

Powerdork
2018-12-06, 11:19 PM
The basic soulknife makes melee attacks (a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, and a two-handed weapon are all melee weapon types; some ranged weapons function as light or one-handed weapons for the purposes of two-weapon fighting), but can take blade skills to adopt other fighting styles. These blade skills were introduced in Ultimate Psionics or else in Psionics Augmented Compilation II (which introduced the augmented blade).

The augmented blade has mechanics text indicating it’s meant to work with ranged weapons.
“An augmented blade’s level determines her maximum enhancement bonus (see Table: The Soulknife as per the enhanced mind blade class feature for melee weapons or see Table: The Soulbolt as per the enhanced soul bolt class feature for ranged weapons).”

HMD
2018-12-07, 05:03 PM
Thanks Metool. I sorta came to the conclusion it was intended to work like that, but I missed that part in the text for the class. Thanks again.