2018-12-07, 01:31 PM
https://twitter.com/NathanBStewart/status/1071108164429332480

I confirmed it. You're all welcome.

>_>
<_<

-runs-

Unoriginal
2018-12-07, 01:38 PM
I take it you haven't read Dungeon of the Mad Mage, then?

MaxWilson
2018-12-07, 01:44 PM
I love Spelljammer but I have no idea what the tweet is supposed to mean. I can only assume from the tone that the OP is some kind of jest.

It doesn't really matter much anyway; WotC's version of Spelljammer would inevitably be inferior to rolling one's own. WotC's culture is just too different from TSR to do justice to the same material.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-12-07, 02:32 PM
Haven't we been here before? Yes yes we have (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563328-Next-5e-book-Spelljammer-Confirmed)

Unoriginal
2018-12-07, 02:39 PM
I don't want to spoil but...

there is a literal Spelljammer in the Dungeon of the Mad Mage module. With creatures from a different world in/around it.

Slybluedemon
2018-12-07, 03:14 PM

there is a literal Spelljammer in the Dungeon of the Mad Mage module. With creatures from a different world in/around it.

What Page?

Lord Vukodlak
2018-12-07, 03:19 PM

They also mention helms powering Gith vessels in Tome of Foes. They can dance around spelljammer without actually making rules for it.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-12-08, 05:03 AM
I'd really like to know if this is legit.

Or not.

jaappleton
2018-12-08, 08:02 AM
I'd really like to know if this is legit.

Or not.

You know what?

I would, too.

Tanarii
2018-12-08, 08:20 AM
Last time I went squee!

This time I just hate you all. :smallamused:

GreyBlack
2018-12-08, 03:51 PM
So maybe it's just me, but I would be curious as to why they're so reticent to actually publish a Spelljammer book?

LtPowers
2018-12-08, 04:42 PM
So maybe it's just me, but I would be curious as to why they're so reticent to actually publish a Spelljammer book?

They're trying to maximize return on investment. They want to put out material that is broadly applicable to large portions of the playerbase (e.g., SCAG, Volo's, Xanathar's) or that potentially grow the playerbase (e.g., Eberron, Ravnica).

Spelljammer arguably falls into the latter category, but unlike Eberron and Ravnica, the content in a Spelljammer book would be almost entirely limited to actual Spelljammer campaigns. As such, it's a fairly low priority, though rest assured they're aware of the demand.

Powers &8^]

SaintRidley
2018-12-08, 04:44 PM
What Page?

Caverns of Ooze, beginning page 243.

loki_ragnarock
2018-12-08, 08:20 PM

The year that TSR finally went under was it's highest revenue year ever.

Some attribute its failure to being pulled into too many directions; too many settings, too many niches, too much dividing their fanbase.

I think this realization/line of thinking might have something to do with the absence of hardcore setting books in this edition. You might get a Spelljammer adventure, but dividing your own fan base might be one of those fundamental business no-nos.

Telok
2018-12-08, 11:25 PM
The year that TSR finally went under was it's highest revenue year ever.

Some attribute its failure to being pulled into too many directions; too many settings, too many niches, too much dividing their fanbase.

I think this realization/line of thinking might have something to do with the absence of hardcore setting books in this edition. You might get a Spelljammer adventure, but dividing your own fan base might be one of those fundamental business no-nos.

I've personally always questioned the divided fanbase thing. I'm frankly rather uninterested in Ebberon or FR and stuff centred around those won't draw my attention. Likewise I don't bother with most 5e stuff because I find the system to be aggressively mediocre and uninspiring. But I'll buy Spelljammer stuff, and possibly DarkSun if it's pretty good quality. But if 'not dividing the fanbase' includes not publishing any significant stuff outside of FR setting stuff then I'm apparently just excluded from a narrowly defined fanbase.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-12-09, 06:18 AM
I'd just like to have some confirmation that the next setting isn't Dark Sun.

Please, anything but Dark Sun!

Cybren
2018-12-09, 07:13 AM
This forum is so good at reading sincerity into obvious jokes

Tanarii
2018-12-09, 10:19 AM
Please, anything but Dark Sun!
I'll take Darksun over Planescape any day of the week, ya berk.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-12-09, 12:44 PM
I'll take Darksun over Planescape any day of the week, ya berk.

Oh, I would really love me some Planescape.

LordEntrails
2018-12-09, 01:33 PM
I've personally always questioned the divided fanbase thing. I'm frankly rather uninterested in Ebberon or FR and stuff centred around those won't draw my attention. Likewise I don't bother with most 5e stuff because I find the system to be aggressively mediocre and uninspiring. But I'll buy Spelljammer stuff, and possibly DarkSun if it's pretty good quality. But if 'not dividing the fanbase' includes not publishing any significant stuff outside of FR setting stuff then I'm apparently just excluded from a narrowly defined fanbase.
The D&D fan base is the largest it has ever been. So some of us have to accept that the narrowly defined fanbase of 5E that we may not be a part of just means we are an even narrower fanbase.