PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Hound Archon Hero and Teleport (Su)

TallerSpine
2018-12-07, 05:27 PM
The SRD shows the Hound Archon Hero wearing Full Plate Armor (50 lbs) and wielding two greatswords (8 lbs each). That is more than the 50 lbs total the Hound Archon is able to teleport with. What happens? Will it leave behind random gear? Does it get to choose which gear to leave behind? (I know there are ways around this, like if it uses its shapechange ability, it will be able to teleport with all of its gear). Or, since it is listed in its monster entry, does its gear not count towards that 50 lbs limit?

noob
2018-12-07, 05:39 PM
I guess it is probably the hound archon hero who picks items to drop when he teleports.
But the hound archon hero will probably try to get mithril armor once it spots it can not teleport all its equipment at once.

OgresAreCute
2018-12-07, 06:20 PM
I think the intention of the "50 lbs of gear" rule is that worn equipment doesn't count, since that would make it very difficult to use melee equipment for the more martially minded outsiders (not that this edition is lacking in the martial hate, but...). To be honest, I don't see much point in the weight limit at all, the only thing it does limit is how much you can take with you while tele-fragging someone, since you can always just teleport back and forth, bringing 50 lbs of gear with you at a time for travel. I'm sure you can spare the extra 24 seconds when traveling instantly from anywhere to anywhere else.

noob
2018-12-07, 06:28 PM
I think the intention of the "50 lbs of gear" rule is that worn equipment doesn't count, since that would make it very difficult to use melee equipment for the more martially minded outsiders (not that this edition is lacking in the martial hate, but...). To be honest, I don't see much point in the weight limit at all, the only thing it does limit is how much you can take with you while tele-fragging someone, since you can always just teleport back and forth, bringing 50 lbs of gear with you at a time for travel. I'm sure you can spare the extra 24 seconds when traveling instantly from anywhere to anywhere else.

Gear in the classical meaning of the word includes your worn equipment.

ShurikVch
2018-12-07, 06:58 PM
To be honest, I don't see much point in the weight limit at all, the only thing it does limit is how much you can take with you while tele-fragging someone, since you can always just teleport back and forth, bringing 50 lbs of gear with you at a time for travel. I'm sure you can spare the extra 24 seconds when traveling instantly from anywhere to anywhere else.IMHO, it was done to avoid situation when characters are bamfing across the land and stealing monuments, castles, islands... (like Carmen freaking Sandiego (https://www.themarysue.com/what-did-carmen-sandiego-steal/)! :smallwink:)
Also it prevents such scenarios as "teleport a mountain to stratosphere and allow it to drop"

noob
2018-12-07, 07:44 PM
IMHO, it was done to avoid situation when characters are bamfing across the land and stealing monuments, castles, islands... (like Carmen freaking Sandiego (https://www.themarysue.com/what-did-carmen-sandiego-steal/)! :smallwink:)
Also it prevents such scenarios as "teleport a mountain to stratosphere and allow it to drop"

well you can do that as long as you can carry a mountain and have access to the regular teleport spell.

ShurikVch
2018-12-07, 08:04 PM
well you can do that as long as you can carry a mountain and have access to the regular teleport spell.Ahem...
[checking SRD]
Yup, it's correct
And I'm even know how to do it without cheesing the numbers...

noob
2018-12-07, 08:35 PM
Ahem...
[checking SRD]
Yup, it's correct
And I'm even know how to do it without cheesing the numbers...

still there is a big gap between dropping a mountain a day and dropping all the mountains each day which is possibly the reason the outsiders are not allowed to carry a lot with their at will teleportation.