PDA

View Full Version : Aleax and duplicates?

unseenmage
2018-12-08, 01:03 AM
Can an Aleax be fooled by time duplicates (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)?

Greater Doppelgangers?

Sliders-esque alternate reality doubles?

Mirror Plane duplicates?

Dream Realm duplicates (if such a thing exists)

I suspect not and that even if it did work briefly they'd know as soon as they slew the double and they still hadn't fulfilled their purpose.

Coventry
2018-12-08, 12:06 PM
Can an Aleax be fooled by time duplicates (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)?

Greater Doppelgangers?

Sliders-esque alternate reality doubles?

Mirror Plane duplicates?

Dream Realm duplicates (if such a thing exists)

I suspect not and that even if it did work briefly they'd know as soon as they slew the double and they still hadn't fulfilled their purpose.

The original (first edition) Aleax entry said: "only visible to the victim, can only be harmed by the victim". None of the things you describe are "the victim", so the Aleax would either bypass them or plow right through them on its way to the victim.

But I still might allow it in a game I ran if the sending deity is (or appreciates) a trickster.

unseenmage
2018-12-08, 02:57 PM
The original (first edition) Aleax entry said: "only visible to the victim, can only be harmed by the victim". None of the things you describe are "the victim", so the Aleax would either bypass them or plow right through them on its way to the victim.

But I still might allow it in a game I ran if the sending deity is (or appreciates) a trickster.

It's the time duplicate that gets me. But then, perhaps they'd just both count as the victim.

Feantar
2018-12-08, 03:52 PM
It's the time duplicate that gets me. But then, perhaps they'd just both count as the victim.

The time duplicate might actually be enough. It is you, really, just displaced(distimed? distempored?).

Goaty14
2018-12-08, 04:23 PM

Wouldn't the Aleax just sit back and wait for the two of them to almost kill each other first?

Jack_Simth
2018-12-08, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't the Aleax just sit back and wait for the two of them to almost kill each other first?

Only if they encounter each other directly. If the other you encounters the aleax independently, on the other hand...