PDA

View Full Version : Spitballing a (yet another) fix for TWF

Arkhios
2018-12-08, 04:13 AM
As said in the topic, I came up with an idea for a "fix" for Two-Weapon Fighting, and I'm merely curious how people would feel about it.

When wielding two light melee weapons, as a bonus action you can give yourself advantage on your next attack roll on your turn. If you hit, add the off-hand weapon's die to the damage roll.

To me, that's essentially what the technique already does. Likewise, any other existing mechanic wouldn't need to change.

I'm aware that TWF as-is gives you an option to strike an additional target as well, but I think that the technique already consumes a lot of your focus so it would make sense to direct both attacks against one target.

StoicLeaf
2018-12-08, 04:53 AM
As said in the topic, I came up with an idea for a "fix" for Two-Weapon Fighting, and I'm merely curious how people would feel about it.

When wielding two light melee weapons, as a bonus action you can give yourself advantage on your next attack roll on your turn. If you hit, add the off-hand weapon's die to the damage roll.

To me, that's essentially what the technique already does. Likewise, any other existing mechanic wouldn't need to change.

I'm aware that TWF as-is gives you an option to strike an additional target as well, but I think that the technique already consumes a lot of your focus so it would make sense to direct both attacks against one target.

Great for standard rogues, a dps loss for everyone?

thoroughlyS
2018-12-08, 05:18 AM
Great for standard rogues, a dps loss for everyone?
I wouldn't say great. It's almost identical to the benefits rogues already get from two-weapon fighting, just more reliable. In the current system, it's possible for a rogue to hit only once. With this proposal, they have the same chance to hit at all, but are guaranteed to deal double weapon damage if they hit. Basically, 45.5% of the time you get 1d6 more damage than you would in the current system. As for everyone else, it doesn't address the opportunity cost of having to use your bonus action, which is the biggest issue facing the style.

Kane0
2018-12-08, 07:12 AM
Its always about that bonus action.

Most of the suggestions i get behind involve getting rid of that bonus action requirement with the feat, extra attack or both.