PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Beast of Xvim Template

lolcat
2018-12-08, 05:20 AM
Greetings Playground!

I found a a template in Monsters of Faerūn, page 85, called the "Beast of Xvim".
It's pretty nice, especially since the template can be applied to any type of creature at all it seems, allows them to gain HD by feeding etc.

However, even though i found a short reference that "Clerics above Lvl 9" of Iyachtu Xvim can apply that to creatures, the only mechanical way i found is the feat "Touch of Hate", from the Players Guide to Faerūn page 177, which only allows it to be applied to animals :(

Seeing as this is quite a limitation compared to the monster-entry and fluff description, i wanted to ask if anyone knows of another way to apply this template, as described, to creatures other than animals?

Thanks a lot,

lolcat

noob
2018-12-08, 07:03 AM
Greetings Playground!

I found a a template in Monsters of Faerūn, page 85, called the "Beast of Xvim".
It's pretty nice, especially since the template can be applied to any type of creature at all it seems, allows them to gain HD by feeding etc.

However, even though i found a short reference that "Clerics above Lvl 9" of Iyachtu Xvim can apply that to creatures, the only mechanical way i found is the feat "Touch of Hate", from the Players Guide to Faerūn page 177, which only allows it to be applied to animals :(

Seeing as this is quite a limitation compared to the monster-entry and fluff description, i wanted to ask if anyone knows of another way to apply this template, as described, to creatures other than animals?

Thanks a lot,

lolcat
there is a low level spell that makes the target count as an animal for a short while.

lolcat
2018-12-08, 07:33 AM
Nice, what spell would that be?

noob
2018-12-08, 08:06 AM
Nice, what spell would that be?

Aspect of the wolf.
And it is a level 1 druid or ranger spell so getting scrolls of those is not very expensive(or you could get an item with the continuous version for less than 8000 gp if you want to use it on anything you want).
So use aspect of the wolf then use touch of hate on yourself then you can gain hit dice by eating people and then you can retrain those hit dice in cleric levels using the retraining rules and get to gain 20 extra levels in cleric in less than a year.

PrismCat21
2018-12-08, 11:58 AM
Do note that Aspect of the Wolf is a Personal only spell, so you can't apply it to anything else.

noob
2018-12-08, 12:13 PM
Do note that Aspect of the Wolf is a Personal only spell, so you can't apply it to anything else.

False you can with magic items such as a wondrous item or a scroll.

Thurbane
2018-12-08, 05:24 PM
A Skull Talisman from Frostburn would work.

lolcat
2018-12-09, 11:12 AM
Planning to use runes from the "Inscribe Run"-Feat / Runecaster-class. Thanks for the input guys!

Goaty14
2018-12-09, 09:50 PM

What about a... potion?

Jeraa
2018-12-09, 10:48 PM
What about a... potion?

Potions can't be made from spells with a range of Personal.

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target; therefore, spells such as shield other cannot be stored in potion form. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions, so spells such as shield never exist in potion form.

ksbsnowowl
2018-12-09, 11:05 PM
Yeah, Skull Talismans of Aspect of the Wolf are the way to go with this.

Just a minor update for the OP, the Beast of Xvim template was updated as the Beast of Bane template in... Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. It doesn't make a lot of mechanical changes (DR is about it, I think), but there is an updated version of it.

ShurikVch
2018-12-11, 04:45 AM
It doesn't make a lot of mechanical changes (DR is about it, I think)Beast of Xvim got +1 HD from the get-go; Beast of Bane doesn't
Also, Beast of Xvim doesn't change the creature's type

OgresAreCute
2018-12-11, 07:46 AM
For potions I think I remember there being a cauldron in some obscure adventure that could make personal range spells into potions, or maybe it did something else. Pretty sure I saw someone talk about something like that though.

PraxisVetli
2018-12-11, 02:00 PM
Potions can't be made from spells with a range of Personal.

For potions I think I remember there being a cauldron in some obscure adventure that could make personal range spells into potions, or maybe it did something else. Pretty sure I saw someone talk about something like that though.

They can with Gremma's Cauldron

Thurbane
2018-12-11, 03:30 PM
They can with Gremma's Cauldron

Is there a source for this? Is it 3.5 of PF?

Never mind. Expedition to Undermountain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21522463&postcount=1), p.217

I'm not seeing that it specifically allows personal range spells? Or is this a facet of the convert scroll to potion ability? .

Jeraa
2018-12-11, 05:06 PM
Is there a source for this? Is it 3.5 of PF?

Never mind. Expedition to Undermountain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21522463&postcount=1), p.217

I'm not seeing that it specifically allows personal range spells? Or is this a facet of the convert scroll to potion ability? .

A far as I can see, it must be from the scroll conversion. The actual brewing part functions like normal brewing. The scroll conversion doesn't have any listed restrictions. In theory, you could potentially make 9th level spell potions with it.

However, it does say:

Anyone can use the cauldron to convert the magical energy in a scroll into a potion. Doing so requires a scroll, magical reagents worth to the difference in creation cost between a scroll of that spell and a potion of that spell, and spending XP equal to 1/25 of this cost difference. For example, a scroll of bull’s strength costs 75 gp to create, and a potion of bull’s strength costs 150 gp to create. By combining the scroll and 75 gp worth of reagents (150 – 75 = 75) in the cauldron and spending 3 XP (75 / 25 = 3), the user creates a potion of bull’s strength.

If a potion can't normally be made of the spell, then you wouldn't have anything to use to determine the cost difference. A potion of a personal spell has no cost because it can't exist. Going by that, you have nothing to compare the cost to, and can't convert a scroll into a potion of such a spell.

It seems like that would be something for an individual DM to rule on, so it may or may not work. All the normal restrictions are in place for normal brewing, so the same should still hold for the conversion. Nothing about the cauldron says it changes how potions work.