PDA

View Full Version : Is drow sign language still a thing?

Particle_Man
2018-12-08, 01:00 PM
I can’t find record of it in the core books but maybe I am not looking hard enough or maybe it is elsewhere in a 5e wotc book.

Particle_Man
2018-12-08, 02:46 PM
Thanks!

Second question: can one use sign language well enough even if one cannot make facial expressions (like if one’s face were like a skeleton’s with no flesh)?

Marcelinari
2018-12-08, 02:58 PM
I always work under the assumption that common is a trade language, rarely a first language, and intended to facilitate communication between wildly different cultures and creatures. It would make sense to me that facial expression would play a less important role in Common Sign, since a fair number of the more exotic humanoid races have near-incompatible facial features (kenku, lizardmen, aarakokra and yuan-to spring to mind). Empasizing hand/dexterous-forelimb signing would make for a more versatile and inclusive language.

Naanomi
2018-12-08, 03:01 PM
You can sign ASL without seeing the other person’s face at all... it creates a lot of struggle for for nuance, and makes some of the common grammar impossible... but not overall communication, and you always have fingerspelling to fall back on if necessary

Particle_Man
2018-12-08, 04:20 PM
Thanks again!