PDA

View Full Version : please recommend an app for listening to podcasts on iPhone

Fitz10019
2018-12-08, 05:36 PM
TL/DR version: please recommend a free app for iPhone for podcast listening that doesn't require an account/log-in.
---
I teach English. I recommend that my students find podcasts to listen to so they can train their ear. The conversational nature of many gaming podcasts makes it a more natural/authentic use of English than listening to news or to interviews.

I'm an Android user, so I can't directly recommend any specific apps to my iPhone-using students. One such student has complained to me that all the apps he tried had a cost and/or required an account and logging in. This is alien to my experience with Android, and this student is not a techno-phobe, so I'm flummoxed.

Could some of you please recommend a free app for iPhone for podcast listening that doesn't require an account/log-in? Please note: it's the app recommendation that I need. Specific podcast recommendations would be interesting but not in the scope of my question. Thanks in advance.

Legato Endless
2018-12-09, 12:50 AM
Overcast.

It used to be the premiere free podcasting app with its innovative silence skipping function to remove dead air from podcasts. That's been copied endlessly now by the competition, but it remains one of the best free podcast apps with a good enough UI, decent customization and no account required. Also there's no ads to worry about.

You can add an account, but it's purely optional. The only real critique as free podcasts go is its oriented more toward casual listening rather than the full customization a power user might desire.

Link to relevant Faq (https://overcast.fm/skeptics_faq)

StoneGS
2019-05-24, 01:49 AM
There is plenty of different apps. Castbox, Podbean, Stitcher are in my top list but the best one is iHeartRadio so here is the review (https://500bestapps.com/iheartradio-radio-music) on it. There is a big amount of interesting channels there and the app is very easy to navigate.

tomandtish
2019-05-29, 01:20 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, is there something wrong with the default app iphone comes with?