PDA

View Full Version : Another TWF idea - making TWF flexible

Greywander
2018-12-08, 06:48 PM
Yeah yeah, I know a lot of these have popped up recently. I was thinking about this and just wanted to get the ideas out of my head and onto (metaphorical) paper.

TWF base
Only one of the weapon needs to be light (so rapier + dagger is allowed from the get-go). For the following descriptions, your "off-hand" weapon is just a weapon that you didn't attack with as part of the Attack action on your turn. As long as you qualify for TWF, you can use a bonus action for one of the following:

Backhand
After taking the Attack action, you may use a bonus action to make an attack with your off-hand weapon. This attack doesn't add your ability score modifier to the damage roll. So basically the default bonus action attack you could already do with TWF.

Feint
You pretend to strike with your off-hand weapon before suddenly striking from a different angle with your other weapon. As part of making an attack with the Attack action, you may use a bonus action to roll the damage die of your off-hand weapon and add it to that attack roll.

Counter
As a bonus action, you adopt a defensive stance, ready to parry any strike against you. Until the start of your next turn, when an enemy makes a melee attack against you, you may use your reaction to roll the damage die of your off-hand weapon and add the result to your AC for that one attack. You may choose whether or not to do this after seeing the enemy's attack roll but before knowing the result. If the attack misses, you may immediately make one attack with your main-hand weapon against that enemy.
Your "off-hand" weapon will be any weapon you didn't attack with on your last turn. Note that Counter doesn't require an Attack action (Dodge action synergy?).

Fighting Style
You are no longer restricted to light weapons for TWF (i.e. bigger off-hand damage die). You can draw and sheathe weapons as a free action.

Feat
TWF options no longer use a bonus action, instead you may use one option as a free action. (Counter still uses a reaction.) This doesn't let you use more than one TWF option on your turn.

I'm not totally sure about Counter, feels like it might be a bit too strong, but both the AC bonus and reaction attack only apply to a single attack, so maybe it's fine.