PDA

View Full Version : How to make Light Yagami in 5e?

Jurrasicdragon
2018-12-08, 08:18 PM
I’m wanting to play a character like Light Yagami from Death Note, super smart, notebook that kills the person whose name is written in it, death god following him around. Obviously having a insta kill at level 1 would be op, so what class could emulate Light with the death note best?

JNAProductions
2018-12-08, 08:40 PM
I’m wanting to play a character like Light Yagami from Death Note, super smart, notebook that kills the person whose name is written in it, death god following him around. Obviously having a insta kill at level 1 would be op, so what class could emulate Light with the death note best?

Probably none. He isn't modeled well by 5E.

If I had to make him...

Commoner with great mental stats (maybe poor Wisdom, but definitely high Int and Cha) with an artifact.

lunaticfringe
2018-12-08, 08:50 PM
Yup that's not really going to transfer well.

But a Variant Human Tomelock with Keen Mind & Prodigy is a smarty pants with a magic book given to them by a powerful supernatural entity.

LudicSavant
2018-12-08, 08:57 PM

I'm not clear what aspects of Light Yagami you're looking to emulate here, since "commoner with an instakill at level 1" basically sums up his powers.

If you just want to be followed around by a death god and be a manipulative guy with a magic book, Warlock might be what you're looking for.

Dr.Samurai
2018-12-08, 09:17 PM
Couldn't you do something like this by being a wizard and then describing your spells as the result of the command written in your deathnote (spellbook)?

I move away from the fray and write in my deathnote: The goblin is completed immolated as it spontaneously combusts.

Actual mechanics: Move back 15', cast Firebolt at goblin.

The only thing is the Deathnote requires a name. You can change this to better suit your character. And... well, you're not going to insta-kill everyone so you'll have to be creative with the narrative commands you write into your book. If I remember correctly, the deathnote gives you some control over the person depending on the circumstances of the death. So I think you could basically write down the entire combat into your Deathnote and say that's how it happened.

Genoin
2018-12-08, 09:28 PM
Pact of the Tome Warlock seems like the most flavorful option (character who has a magic book and a shinigami (the patron)), but you are most likely going to have to drop the idea of ever being able to write someone's name in the book and kill them.

The character just doesn't translate to a game like this, any reasonable iteration of the concept is ridiculously broken. The only way this concept works is if you are playing a very high RP solo campaign, in which case I would still say Tomelock is the best option.

Son of A Lich!
2018-12-08, 10:17 PM
Step 1: Put down your 5e player's handbook.

Step 2: Pick up 3e Mutants and Masterminds.

Step 3: Select a PL 10 character, with 60pp. Give him above average Intelligence and Presence. Select skills that seem reasonable for a teenager. Select 1 rank of attractive (Light does have a way with the ladies) and benefit (Dad is a Cop, access to Police resources). Then in powers;

The Death Note - Weaken [Stamina] 18 ranks. Extras (No Save +3/rank, No attack roll+3/rank, Rangex3 +3/rank, Concentration duration +1/rank) Advantage (Insidious, Alternate Power) Flaws (Device[easy to lose]-2/rank, limited [Must know targets real name]-3/rank, Limited [Must see target's face]-3/rank, Action [Full round action]-3/rank, Delayed effect [3 round]-3/rank.

Alternate Power - Affliction [-/-/Dominate] Extras (Extras (No Save +3/rank, No attack roll+3/rank, Rangex3 +3/rank, Concentration duration +1/rank) Advantage (Insidious) Flaws (Device[easy to lose]-2/rank, limited [Must know targets real name]-3/rank, Limited [Must see target's face]-3/rank, Action [Full round action]-3/rank, Limited scope [Only max effect]-2/rank.
Total point cost - 18pp

For power source, gifted/acquired from demon, for Motivations, God hood, for complications: Secret Identity, College student, Narcissist, Self-righteous and outlaw.

Step 4: Go to local D&D game.

Step 5: have your M&M character rejected, and roll up a Warlock instead. Work out with your DM about the character you Really want to play and watch the magic happen over the course of your adventures.

Step 6: Have Fun regardless of what you end up doing.

Ganymede
2018-12-08, 10:56 PM
If you want to make a character that is buddies with a ghostly manifestation of death, your best bet is the Path of the Gloambound on DMs Guild.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-09, 01:07 AM
Barring the fact that a perfect or even semi accurate translation isn't even possible, Enchanter Wizard fits thematically. Spells like Suggestion can control people but won't kill them. Eventually you get free twinned enchantments for fun things like double Dominate Monters and double Power Word Kill. You could even flavor casting those spells as writing down what the creatures will do.

Edit: You can also summon demons.

Clistenes
2018-12-09, 04:43 AM
Probably none. He isn't modeled well by 5E.

If I had to make him...

Commoner with great mental stats (maybe poor Wisdom, but definitely high Int and Cha) with an artifact.

Nah. His Wisdom should be VERY low. He made fatal mistakes due to his arrogance, let his emotions dictate his actions, and constantly undervalued other people's intelligence and intuition when compared with his own...

His Intelligence shouldn't be that high, either. If it were so, he would have figured they could locate him thanks to the time of the day and week he used the book.

Light Yagami only believed himself to be a genius. In truth, he was a dunce, much like many other anime "geniuses" that show their "intelligence" with over-complicated schemes that should never work...

Aelyn
2018-12-09, 05:02 AM
Nah. His Wisdom should be VERY low. He made fatal mistakes due to his arrogance, let his emotions dictate his actions, and constantly undervalued other people's intelligence and intuition when compared with his own...

His Intelligence shouldn't be that high, either. If it were so, he would have figured they could locate him thanks to the time of the day and week he used the book.

Light Yagami only believed himself to be a genius. In truth, he was a dunce, much like many other anime "geniuses" that show their "intelligence" with over-complicated schemes that should never work...
He has excellent reasoning skills and noticably above-average observational skills; 18 INT and 14 WIS seem reasonable, if not higher. If you look at his potential - where he used his talents effectively - he's clearly got some impressive abilities.

He also had massive personality flaws - most significantly his superiority complex, which caused him both to underestimate others and develop needlessly-complex plans - which meant that he often failed to utilise those talents effectively.

Dr. Cliché
2018-12-09, 06:11 AM
You need to somehow get this spell from D&D 3.5:

Stop Heart
(Book of Vile Darkness, p. 106)

Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Assassin 4, Cleric 4, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5,
Components: S, Drug
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Area: One living humanoid or animal
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Channeling hatred and spite, the caster calls upon dark power to give the subject a massive heart attack. The subject suddenly drops to -8 hit points, then -9 hit points at the end of this round. If someone immediately makes a successful Heal check (DC 15) or somehow gives the subject more hit points, she stabilizes. Otherwise, at the end of the next round, the subject reaches -10 hit points and dies.

Naanomi
2018-12-09, 09:55 PM
A Mastermind Rogue with an artifact and a few Boones... being smart and being able to fool master detectives is his main schtick