PDA

View Full Version : Fun Monk multiclass options?

theonesin
2018-12-08, 08:46 PM
We're restarting a 5e campaign and I've currently got a level 4 Armand(somewhat homebrewed race based on the armadillo race from 3.5)Open Hand Monk with the following stats(we did 4d6 drop lowest): Str 13, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 17, Cha 10. In addition to homebrewing "monster" races for us, the DM also gave everyone a free feat at level 1(which I know isn't standard in 5e).

I enjoyed my Monk before, having taken Mobile as my free feat and zipping around the battlefield. I'm a little worried I'll become "one note" and am wondering if there are any fun/useful multiclass options to help me keep things fresh. Since this is a restart of sorts, we're still able to swap around stats if that might allow other options.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-09, 12:20 AM
If your feeling "one note" it is because you chose Open Hand Monk. They do one thing and thats punching. Anyways I wouldn't multiclass as a monk until at least level 6. At level 5 you get extra attack and Stunning Strike(the "best" monk ability in the game). At level 6 you get magic fists and Open Hand gives you a self heal of 18 hp. After that though, Cleric, Ranger, or Druid would work well with you high wisdom. Fighter can compliment basically any melee build.

theonesin
2018-12-09, 12:27 AM
Well archetype should also be up for changing if that's something that would help give me more variety. Anything you'd suggest over Open Hand(particularly that work well when multiclassing)?

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-09, 12:40 AM
Well archetype should also be up for changing if that's something that would help give me more variety. Anything you'd suggest over Open Hand(particularly that work well when multiclassing)?

Don't play a martial character, I guess. They just hit things, their all kinda "one note" in my opinion(besides Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster). I'm not saying that it's bad to be "one note" but if you want variety, monk, fighter, barbarian, and rogue don't give a lot of that. You could go 4 Elements but that will bring... other complications.

Silkensword
2018-12-09, 12:44 AM
iiiif you want to be ridiculously powerful at the first turn of combat:

Rogue 3 into Assassin
Fighter 2 for action surge
Ranger 3 into gloomstalker

you now can do 8 attacks in the first round, if you manage to surprise enemies, that's 8 crits if you hit with all of them! also you're gonna be first in initiative pretty much always.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-09, 12:45 AM
iiiif you want to be ridiculously powerful at the first turn of combat:

Rogue 3 into Assassin
Fighter 2 for action surge
Ranger 3 into gloomstalker

you now can do 8 attacks in the first round, if you manage to surprise enemies, that's 8 crits if you hit with all of them! also you're gonna be first in initiative pretty much always.

Wouldn't it only be 4 attacks?

CTurbo
2018-12-09, 01:56 AM
Wouldn't it only be 4 attacks?

Gloom Stalker gets a free extra attack on the first turn for a total of 3 attacks. Action surge that and you get 6 attacks. Add Flurry of Blows for 2 more attacks.

CTurbo
2018-12-09, 02:10 AM
I really like a 3 level Ranger dip on Monks. Gloom Stalker and Hunter are both very strong dips for Monks. I love Gloom Stalker for Shadow Monks, but for Open Hand, I'd go with Hunter for Horde Breaker.

3 levels of Ranger get you some utility spells, a bit of healing, Hunters Mark, Natural Explorer, and Favored Enemy. Slap Hunters Mark on a Favored Enemy and hit them 4 times and that's an extra 4d6+8 in addition to the normal weapon damage. Horde Breaker is a free bonus attack that as a Monk you'd be able to pull off pretty much every round. You could always take the boring but effective Colossus Slayer for a reliable extra 1d8 damage.

McSkrag
2018-12-09, 02:38 AM
1-2 levels of Cleric or Druid will give you a lot of versatility in and out of combat without slowing down your monk leveling too much. You'll get cantrips, 2-3 level 1 spell slots a day, and a good selection of buffs and control spells depending on your domain or circle.

KyleG
2018-12-09, 03:42 AM
MY monk is now level 2. Pretty sure ill end up Open Hand 13/17/14/ 14/12/12 but this is a man (Eladrin) on a mission so i can see him going Ranger or Barbarian...my only reason im not convinced of Ranger is that he is a Squib save for his misty step which i have fluffed as more of a superspeed than a teleport. He is an angry man bottling up his anger at the world only by force of will from his Monk training.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-09, 11:00 AM
Gloom Stalker gets a free extra attack on the first turn for a total of 3 attacks. Action surge that and you get 6 attacks. Add Flurry of Blows for 2 more attacks.

But you only have one attack for action. So with the gloom stalker you would get 2 attacks per action. Then two from flurry of blows. So six? I don't know how you are getting 8 attacks. Somethings not right.

CTurbo
2018-12-09, 11:39 AM
But you only have one attack for action. So with the gloom stalker you would get 2 attacks per action. Then two from flurry of blows. So six? I don't know how you are getting 8 attacks. Somethings not right.

I think he was assuming at least 5 levels of Monk for 2 attacks per attack action.

First round would look like-
Attack action- 1st attack, 2nd attack, free 3rd attack,
Action surge
Attack action- 1st attack, 2nd attack, free 3rd attack,
Bonus action- Flurry of Blows.

NecroDancer
2018-12-09, 11:44 AM
Personally I’m a huge fan of dipping one level into rogue on my monks (mainly shadow monks). Luckily the DM lets me sneak attack with my fists as a house rule and the expertise it very nice for stealth and acrobatics.

djreynolds
2018-12-09, 12:37 PM
We're restarting a 5e campaign and I've currently got a level 4 Armand(somewhat homebrewed race based on the armadillo race from 3.5)Open Hand Monk with the following stats(we did 4d6 drop lowest): Str 13, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 17, Cha 10. In addition to homebrewing "monster" races for us, the DM also gave everyone a free feat at level 1(which I know isn't standard in 5e).

I enjoyed my Monk before, having taken Mobile as my free feat and zipping around the battlefield. I'm a little worried I'll become "one note" and am wondering if there are any fun/useful multiclass options to help me keep things fresh. Since this is a restart of sorts, we're still able to swap around stats if that might allow other options.

First off, thank you for taking the mobile feat, its the best.

I'll give a reason to dip some classes

Ranger- good dip, IMO grab archery style, why? its +2, seriously. You have a short bow, and now you have along bow. Archery style just gives the most bang for your buck versus duelist style. Hunter's mark, 1 hour. , horde breaker or colossus slayer, one more skill

Cleric- war cleric gives out divine favor, but its war blessing is wasted as you have readily available BA
any cleric for some great spells at 1st level
knowledge cleric is nice, some good perks for 2 levels

Druid-thornwhip, heat metal, wildshape, all great

If you didn't dump charisma or intelligence, the shield spell is a big boon in melee if you get stuck there

Fighter is also nice, I'd favor battlemaster

Vexacia
2018-12-09, 03:27 PM
For a standard Dexterity Monk there are no multiclass options worth taking before level 5.

For many (but not all) Monk subclasses, extend that to level 6 due to the subclass feature at level 6.

---

I know you didn't ask about strength Monks but for inclusivity's sake:

For a strength Monk who is unarmored but using a Greatsword/Maul (the only thing this disables is Martial Arts, nothing else is gone), either a 1 level dip into Barbarian (Rage, +2 damage on all attacks with strength, but only 2 rages/day) or Fighter (GWF style, +1.33 damage on Greatsword/Maul hits, always on no matter what), War Cleric (1st level spells, War Priest), or any other Cleric (1st level spells) are your best bets for a multiclass, or you can monoclass and feat Weapon Master with your free feat.

For a strength Monk who is armored (lose both Martial Arts & Unarmored Movement, nothing else you're using is gone), the options are essentially the same as above - a 1 level dip in Barbarian (med. armor & see above), Fighter (heavy armor & see above), or Cleric (heavy armor & see above). No monoclass available this time though.

---

Beyond that, for standard Monks looking to dip after level 5/6:

Druid 1-3 or Cleric 1-3: gain 1st lvl spells or 2nd level spells

Rogue X: Expertise at 1, then gain as many Sneak Attack dice as you're willing to trade Ki and movement speed for, basically

Fighter 2: Dueling fighting style + action surge for when you just REALLY need to burn all your Ki to get 6 attempts at Stunning Strike in 1 turn. Primarily useful for scary bosses with a bunch of Legendary Resistances that need to be burned through before the boss can be controlled. This will play very boringly, but your party spellcasters will love you and your DM will hate you.

Barbarian 1: 2x Rage/day for damage reduction. EDIT: NOTE THAT THIS will only be damage reduction & advantage on strength checks; you will not get the damage boost if you're attacking with Dexterity.