PDA

View Full Version : Fire magic under water

cullynthedwarf
2018-12-09, 02:45 AM
Does any magic have any strange effects under water?

Gastronomie
2018-12-09, 05:11 AM
All creatures gain fire resistance underwater.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-09, 11:09 AM
They way I run this is a bit more realistic. They fire instantly turns all of the water it touches(area of effect into steam. That immediately creates a pressure blast that deals 10d6 damage to everyone fully submersed in the water(depending on the size of the body). It basically means you shouldn't do it if your all underwater. I also triple the area of effect of thunder damgae spells and double the range of lightning damage.

Unoriginal
2018-12-09, 11:13 AM
They way I run this is a bit more realistic. They fire instantly turns all of the water it touches(area of effect into steam. That immediately creates a pressure blast that deals 10d6 damage to everyone fully submersed in the water(depending on the size of the body). It basically means you shouldn't do it if your all underwater. I also triple the area of effect of thunder damgae spells and double the range of lightning damage.

Fire magic isn't realistic, same for all the "elemental evocation" stuff. You can cast Call Lightning underwater without it affecting the water around it.

Mr.Spastic
2018-12-09, 11:26 AM
Fire magic isn't realistic, same for all the "elemental evocation" stuff. You can cast Call Lightning underwater without it affecting the water around it.

Um, yeah. That wasn't the point. I was just saying how I do it in my own games. You know, to give some fun suggestions for house rules.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-09, 08:12 PM
I mean sure. Maybe it boils the fishies instead of a big gout of fire.

Also, despite Hollywood phsyics, Lightning would actually just get dispersed (mostly harmlessly) in all directions in a large body of water, if we were applying real physics, but who says magic has to follow physics.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-12-09, 08:29 PM
Depending on the temperature of the fire spell changes its effectiveness. There is a point at which the fire is able to pull O2 from the water and use that for fuel. It's not that hard either. I don't think that it would create a pressure blast but it would considerably heat up the water around.

I typically don't over think it and just rule it the same unless it is a cantrip to 1st level spell then it has no effect. And none of them can light any of them on fire.

Potato_Priest
2018-12-09, 09:51 PM

Do you do this for all fire spells?

JNAProductions
2018-12-09, 09:52 PM
Do you do this for all fire spells?

If so, Firebolt is a little harsh underwater.

Potato_Priest
2018-12-09, 09:53 PM
If so, Firebolt is a little harsh underwater.

My thoughts exactly. Burning hands as well.

Icecaster
2018-12-09, 10:03 PM
Well, as far as "any magic," there's also the consideration of cold spells. Would cone of cold freeze everything in its area? If so, could that trap monsters? Hmmmm...

As for fire magic, I would probably rule that the fire expands, briefly displacing water and dealing fire damage to the creatures (who have resistance), before returning to its former place, maybe boiling a small amount of water, creating some bubbles. In the case of something like wall of fire, though, I'd describe the same effect, just perpetuated.

kamap
2018-12-10, 03:42 AM
You could add something but that would be a houserule.
Magic doesn't change much under water, except maybe the settings things on fire but that aren't worn etc. It might flare up and then just get doused.

LudicSavant
2018-12-10, 03:54 AM
All creatures gain fire resistance underwater.

Gastronomie is correct. Specifically, this rule is found on Pg198 of the PHB.