PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in the Ninth World IC

chadpants
2018-12-09, 01:13 PM
Link to Adventures in the Ninth World OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?575267-Adventures-in-the-Ninth-World-OOC)

In the Beyond

A group of travelers has come together for various reasons in the harsh lands south of the Lambent Fields in the Beyond. All are determined to reach the Steadfast west of the Black Riage, where it is told there is tremendous wealth and power, where incredible artifacts and technology are often found, discovered, developed and utilized for the civilization at large. Endless great opportunities are said to exist in any one of the numerous kingdoms throughout the Steadfast.

The dangers of reaching the Steadfast

The journey to the Steadfast is a difficult and dangerous one, not for the weak at heart. West of the travelers lies the Ba-Adenu Forest, a deep woods that contains swamps, thieves, vicious predators and unknown dangers. It will be extremely challenging and potentially deadly to traverse the 500 mile/800 km wide forest, or they must double their travel time if they decide to circumvent the Ba-Adenu by way of its northern perimeter. Once they reach the Black Riage the risks continue as they must travel one of the passes that consists of rugged terrain, high altitudes, and dangers inherent in the strange mountains.

Rumors of a faster way

The travelers one night find themselves with a well equipped traveler by the name of Aldjan who seemed quite familiar with the area. As they discussed their ambitions of reaching the Steadfast with the stranger, he nodded attentively, taking in the telling of their impending challenge.

"Yes, if the Ba-Adenu Forest could be avoided that would be most prudent," the stranger advises. "You would first encounter the festering swamp in which I've heard tell of easily swallowing the strongest of adventurers. Even so, there are rumors of the hounds of the Untethered Legion that lurk beneath the mud.

"I will let you in on some information: I know of a place southwest of here by three days travel, a desert area of numerous crags and buttes. I have on an occasion shared a tent with a small group of priests that spoke of a teleportation device they use to transport them to their hard-to-reach places of worship. Perhaps you could find a way to gain their favor and allow you to use their teleportation device? They may well have the means to help you avoid the most dangerous of lands between here and the Steadfast."

mgshamster
2018-12-09, 07:02 PM
Rame is a young man, full of spirit and eagerness to explore the world and find artifacts. It's something he talks of a lot, comparing himself to the nomads back home in the Jagged Wastes - properly known as the Dessanedi.

His skin and hair are dark, and he has a bit of an accent to his voice. He wears light weight clothing and no armor. He carries a unique weapon - a long stick with a claw on the end, which is a popular weapons from back home. He also carries a disc thrower, which he feels makes him more connected to numenera.

Rame, despite everything else, is inquisitive. He loves exploring and learning new things, and sometimes it gets him in more trouble than he ought to have been in.

Rame ponders the choices, "Ya. It ain't smart to go through Ba-Adenu," he says, drawing on his general knowledge of geography.

"I like this idea of seeing the priests. I mean, we don't know if it'll help, but hey - can't be worse than going north, right?"

EarthenRite
2018-12-09, 10:01 PM
”Visiting these priests would indeed be wise. At best, we will find success with currying their favour and accessing the portal. At worse, we must retrace our steps. In all ways, we will have learned, and that is a treasure in and of itself.”

The artificial voice was deeper and clearly augmented and it came from no visible orifice, only a grille of small holes below a single large glowing golden orb which served as an eye. The speaker was metallic everywhere, anthropoid, but of particulary spindly construction though that cleary belied both power and speed. It was dressed in a long deep-green silk garment, hung open over its metallic chest, and it tied at its waist. The speaker, Sanraksaka had no other ornamentation except a pouch at its waist carrying the few possessions it traveled with.

dariathalon
2018-12-09, 11:49 PM
Voren
Might 10/10 (0 Edge), Speed 12/12 (0 Edge), Intellect (16/16) (1 Edge), Effort 1, XP 2

Voren is a thin and wirey young man with pale complexion in his early 20s. His eyes are an icy blue; and they often seem to be locked on some distant object. Even when speaking with someone, his stare doesn't quite seem to lock onto your eyes, but a point far beyond them, a somewhat disconcerting sensation. His short straight hair is a dark black, which in some light has an almost bluish tint. He wears a light leather jerkin, with a lightweight cloak wrapped around himself and a large bag of gear on his back. Hanging from loops on each hip, he has a battleaxe and a crank crossbow.

Voren crouches down, staring deeply into the group's fire as he listens to the stranger's advice. He doesn't look up as he responds in a deep baritone voice. "I agree. We should seek out these priests. I'd be interested in knowing more about their device whether it is able to help us cross the Black Riage or not." His hand goes up fiddle with a string of gears that dangles from his neck. "Tell us, Aldjan, do you know any more about these priests? For example, what they might want in exchange for the use of their device?"

chadpants
2018-12-10, 08:57 AM
Aldjan scratches his chin with the tip of a hunting knife he had used to cut off strips from his supply of cured meat. "I know little of the priests. They themselves have to travel several days to the desert for their worship, and that's about the extent of what I know about them. I don't know of their needs or what would be of value to them, so I can't advise you on that matter. An interesting group such as yours, I'm sure you could come up with something clever."

mgshamster
2018-12-10, 10:08 AM
"Hmmm," Rame says, thinking. "If they travel several days to get to the temple, where they coming from? Perhaps we can offer protection? Or just join them and talk. I mean, I kinda wanna know more about them, ya know? Who they are and what they worship, how their artifact works. Things like that."

chadpants
2018-12-10, 10:30 AM
Aldjan listens and nods his head. "Of course, the more information you have, the better. I'm not going to be much help to you though. They told me the name of their town but it wasn't one I heard of, nor do I remember the name. Probably an aldeia out in the middle of nowhere, like most places around this forsaken land.

"I couldn't tell you how the device works either. All's I can tell you is they use it to transport to the Sanguine, that's what they call their god.

"You've drained me of everything I know about them, which ain't much. Friendly folk, but quiet and thoughtful. Unlike yours truly," he says with a wink and a grin filled with large yellow teeth.

EarthenRite
2018-12-11, 06:48 PM
M:15 Edge 1
S:14 Edge 1
I:15 Edge 0

“Curiousity I think would be the most viable option. Poor is the priest that does not seek to share what they have found for the enlightenment of others. Though perhaps this is different for organic priests. I confess I do not know.”

dariathalon
2018-12-11, 11:45 PM
Voren
Might 10/10 (0 Edge), Speed 12/12 (0 Edge), Intellect (16/16) (1 Edge), Effort 1, XP 2

"Thank you for what knowledge you have shared about them." Voren says, finally glancing up from the flames to lock eyes with Aldjan, but only for a short moment, before looking back down to the flames. "It sounds as though we agree to track these priests down. I know your knowledge of them is limited, but if you know anything else that might help us as we track them we would be grateful. Since you've at least been to the area, you probably know something about it, even if you don't know much of the priests themselves. Maybe more precise directions to find them, or some idea of what dangers might be in that specific area."

chadpants
2018-12-12, 09:03 AM
"Let me correct you on that," Aldjan replied. "I've not been to the desert. I said I know of it. If it's like any other desert, then there ain't much out there except lack of food and water and the occasional critter, be it hunter or scavenger. You'd do well to go well equipped with supplies, and you might make haste if you want to catch those priests before they head back home."

mgshamster
2018-12-12, 09:56 AM
Rame nods. "Come on, friends! Let's hurry! We'll need plenty of food and water for the trip!

Would Rame know anything of the area based on his knowledge of geography? He also has a book on geography to add an asset.

mgshamster
2018-12-12, 12:54 PM
[roll0]
Training plus one Asset.

chadpants
2018-12-12, 10:15 PM
Rame brushes up on the information his book on geography indicates about the desert area in question, finding this information:

One hundred kilometers east of the Ba-Adenu forest and west of the Errid Kaloum region lies a nameless dry desert that stretches for many kilometers. Mostly unexplored, little is known of the region. The desert area is flat save for several large holes and as many high buttes, as if the land was scooped out of the ground and placed atop it nearby.

The most common species found in the desert are the cadenta. These long winged, long beaked birds of incandescent purple and blue spend their time riding the thermals in large colonies. It is not uncommon to find the occasional nomyn tracing its path. One should take caution when encountering this ambulatory bush as the insects living upon it can be quite unpleasant. Slurgen have also been spotted consuming the carrion of creatures not well equipped to survive in the arid climes.

mgshamster
2018-12-16, 12:59 PM
Rame shares the information he found with the others. "Well, friends? Shall we go? Let's move out!

Rame heads to the nearest town to purchase plenty of rope, climbing equipment, and food and water for the journey.

chadpants
2018-12-16, 05:15 PM
The party says their farewells to Aldjan in the morning then they travel several hours to reach the nearest aldeia. The small cluster of homes where a population of nearly two dozen offers very little; enough food to last each of them six or seven days, and only one spare length of rope.

If you want to stock up your food supply, deduct one shin for every two days of food you buy. If you want to buy rope deduct 5 shins.

Following the information they learned about getting to the desert they undertake another two day travel to reach it. It is as the geography book described: a land of a number of tall buttes a few hundred meters high and giant divots throughout. Large flocks of birds with long wings and long beaks ride the thermals above the buttes and the holes.

As they travel further into the desert they sight a woman at the edge of a cliff that overlooks the land of buttes and sinkholes. As the party approaches they notice she is dressed in a silver suit and has gear that seems appropriate for desert travel. She is frantically working on some sort of numenera device, appearing to try to reassemble it, giving the impression she is familiar with the object but not successful in repairing it.

EarthenRite
2018-12-16, 09:14 PM

The artificial being gracefully walked towards the woman fixing the device, and bowed deeply towards her.

“Forgive my intrusion, but perhaps my companions and I could assist you with your device? I am no expert...but I would be happy to render what aid I might.”

chadpants
2018-12-16, 11:04 PM

The artificial being gracefully walked towards the woman fixing the device, and bowed deeply towards her.

“Forgive my intrusion, but perhaps my companions and I could assist you with your device? I am no expert...but I would be happy to render what aid I might.”

The woman jumps at the sound of the voice behind her, but she smiles nonetheless and stands.

"Hello. Um, yes, I could use some help. I need to get the Altar here repaired so I can get to Sanguinity. I think the other two priests have gone ahead without me, as this is their equipment here. I don't understand why they didn't wait. They always wait for me before we begin." She shakes her head as if to clear it. "Anyway, I may have it figured out, but I'm pretty sure I'm still missing a couple of pieces. Would you mind looking to see if you can find them while I get the rest of this put back together?"

dariathalon
2018-12-17, 01:51 AM
Voren

In the last community, Voren traded a few shin that he'd concealed in his boot away to one of the local farmers. In trade, he got a few days meals of dried meat and vegetables. He wrapped the food with his other rations in a bit of cloth, and tucked the bundle into his pack.

Voren walks up next to Sanraksaka. "Do you mind if I take a look at the device you're working on? I have a solid eye for the workings of numenera. I might be able to help you repair it. If you're right about needing more parts, it would help us find them if I knew what I was looking for. I'm Voren, by the way."

3 shin->6 spare days rations. Recorded in character post.

mgshamster
2018-12-17, 07:56 AM
"Oh! What an opportunity! Rame thinks to himself.

"Yeah! We'd love to help! Rame starts on the task of finding the missing pieces. "What do the look like? he asks as he starts looking around the immediate vicinity.

Buying rope and two days worth of food/water.

What length rope is it?

chadpants
2018-12-17, 09:01 AM
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Voren... and the two of you as well," the woman in the silver suit says to the party. She takes a deep breath as if to calm herself. "My name is Rodia. Yes, please feel free to take a look at it. I suspect there may be a rod and a plate that is missing from this device. I'm pretty handy with the numenera myself and I'm confident I could fix it if I had the rest of the parts. I'm not sure why it's broken in the first place or what broke it." Rodia returns to reassembling the parts of the device that remain. "I do appreciate any help you can provide me. Perhaps you'd care to join me at Sanguinity if we can get this working again."

As Rame looks around the area he notices a few things that seem a bit odd. There are silvery metallic drops on the ground as if liquid metal was dripping from something. The drops lead away from the edge of the cliff the party is overlooking. There is also a set of footprints with three toes each leading to the device then away from it. The footprints are rather large, indicating a creature that might be larger than a human.

mgshamster
2018-12-17, 05:18 PM
Rame looks at the liquid - did it come from the craft? Was it a fluid from the craft or did something melt off the craft?

"Think I got something over here. Looks like some beastie took the parts, and maybe even had something dripping from it. I think we should follow." Rame gets out his rope, ready to use it to climb down.

chadpants
2018-12-17, 08:32 PM
Upon closer inspection Rame becomes aware that the three-toed tracks lead off in a different direction than the drippings. Where the drippings trail from the device to the cliff's edge, the tracks approach the device then depart in the direction from which the tracks had originally come.

As he looks over the edge of the cliff he does see, about 9 meters down, a small outcropping jutting from cliff face straight below them. The sunlight's reflection casts off a metallic drop that is on the top surface of the outcropping.

mgshamster
2018-12-18, 09:04 AM
Using his rope, Rame will tie off one end to something solid. "Oi. Make sure this stays connected, will ya?" he calls out.

Once it is secured, he ties the other end around himself and walks off the cliff, activating his Hover ability. Using the all as a guide, he floats down to the metallic objects and places them in his pack, then uses the rope to pull himself back up.

(Will pause here in the event that something happens during that time).

(1 intellect point spent).

chadpants
2018-12-18, 02:11 PM
While Rame was below on the outcropping he could see a hole that went into the cliff's side before him. The hole is about a meter wide, only large enough to crawl or crouch to enter into. The metallic drops of liquid lead into the cliffside hole.

mgshamster
2018-12-18, 02:28 PM
"There's some sort of cave down here!" Rame calls up from the cliff side. "I'm going in! If I scream, pull me out as fast as you can!"

With his Hover ability still going, Rame will pull himself into the tunnel like he's in a zero-g environment. His hand will still be on the rope in case he needs to pull himself back out quickly.

EarthenRite
2018-12-18, 04:36 PM

Sanraksaka peered downards, holding the rope diligently and with power. He pondered the urgency and hastiness of organic life. The screams would be his signal.

“I stand by to assist with your retrieval, my friend, should I hear your screams. If you wish for assistance before that, please cry out accordingly.”

chadpants
2018-12-18, 08:44 PM
Rame floats inward, curled almost into a ball in order to fit through the small opening. The hole extends just over a meter into the cliff before it opens up into a space not much larger than the hole. Rame would still need to remain hunched over in the tight tiny cavern, the space not big enough to stand up in.

In the dull light that slips through the opening Rame can just make out a very small creature, no more than 30 cm (1 foot) tall and half that in width. At first glance it appears as if it is melting, but upon closer look the same metallic liquid is streaming from it, the same as appeared in the drops that led to this miniature cave.

The creature appears to be oscillating ever so slightly, and it is making a mechanical chuffing sound that could resemble panting, in a way.

dariathalon
2018-12-19, 01:39 AM
Voren
Might 10/10 (0 Edge), Speed 12/12 (0 Edge), Intellect 14/16 (1 Edge), Effort 1, XP 2

In response to Rame's discovery of a hole, Voren mutters a reply, "Yeah, let me know if you need anything..." Despite the potential interest deep in the hole, Voren's attention is consumed by the numenera relic before him. He moves in close to the device and begins to carefully run his hands across the surface, as if feeling the device's energy flow.

He moves his head close to the panel that Rodia had been working in and proceeds to poke around. He speaks to the woman, sprinkling in mutterings of his stream of conscious as he explores the device. "Actually we were meaning to... Oh what's this? Connected to the... Meaning to talk to you about traveling with you. We'd heard there were some Aeon priests out here with some sort of... Now that's interesting. Didn't expect that to... Some sort of teleportation numenera. We're looking to make a distant trip that we hoped... Hrm? I would have expected that to cause some sort of overload. Oh wait, that probably dampens the strength... We hoped your device could help with."

I'd assume this would require some sort of Understanding Numenera roll, or possibly Repair. I'm trained in both, so I suppose it doesn't matter much which one. I don't know if my light tools pack would be enough for an asset to the roll. Still trying to learn the system. Does this seem like a difficult enough task that I should be considering using effort on? Trying to figure out the balance between exactly how limited the resource is, and how often it refreshes is still a challenge.

Okay, let's do 1 level of effort, mostly to make sure I have the system right. That means I'd normally spend 3 from my intellect pool, but m intellect edge of 1, means this really only costs me 2. (If I were to declare additional levels of effort, each one of those would also cost 2. Because each level of effort beyond the first costs 2, and are not reduced by edge. I won't be doing that this time, but it helps me to type it out as I think it through.)

So now that I've declared my trained skill, potential assets, and effort, you determine the task's difficulty and I roll. None of this modifies my roll, instead they modify the difficulty that you determined. Correct? So here's my roll: [roll0].

chadpants
2018-12-19, 09:00 AM
Rodia watches Voren curiously, turning occasionally to see what he's doing but not stopping her work in servicing the device to do so.

"No, there are no Aeon Priests here, not that I know of," she replies to Voren. "If you heard of priests, well then that would be us. We are servants of Sanguinity. This is the Altar of the Sanguine that allows us to reach Sanguinity and worship in its glory. In exchange for worship and sacrifice, Sanguinity keeps our villages safe and prosperous.

"If you are able to find the missing pieces and have a means of sacrifice to bring, you will be welcome to accompany me to Sanguinity."

I'd assume this would require some sort of Understanding Numenera roll, or possibly Repair. I'm trained in both, so I suppose it doesn't matter much which one. I don't know if my light tools pack would be enough for an asset to the roll. Still trying to learn the system. Does this seem like a difficult enough task that I should be considering using effort on? Trying to figure out the balance between exactly how limited the resource is, and how often it refreshes is still a challenge.

That will come with gameplay experience. You get 4 recovery rolls, each consecutive one taking longer than the last, then they reset.

Okay, let's do 1 level of effort, mostly to make sure I have the system right. That means I'd normally spend 3 from my intellect pool, but m intellect edge of 1, means this really only costs me 2. (If I were to declare additional levels of effort, each one of those would also cost 2. Because each level of effort beyond the first costs 2, and are not reduced by edge. I won't be doing that this time, but it helps me to type it out as I think it through.)

Notice in your character sheet you have 1 Effort. That means you can spend up to one level of Effort. Each level lowers the difficulty task (DT) by one. As you only have one level, you can only lower it by one at the cost of 3 points (minus Edge). As you gain advancements you can increase how many levels of Effort you can spend, but for now you can only spend one level.

So now that I've declared my trained skill, potential assets, and effort, you determine the task's difficulty and I roll. None of this modifies my roll, instead they modify the difficulty that you determined. Correct? So here's my roll: [roll0].

That is correct. One level of Effort plus Trained in understanding numenera lowers the DT by 2, so you have a success.

As Voren studies the device he confirms that there are indeed a couple pieces missing that are needed to get the device to function again. Clearly the device is missing some sort of power source unique to the device that cannot be substituted. There is also a place for another part that is absent, but Voren can't seem to determine the function that missing part performs.

mgshamster
2018-12-19, 09:18 AM
Ignoring the creature, Rane looks around for anything it may have taken.

chadpants
2018-12-19, 02:06 PM
Ignoring the creature, Rane looks around for anything it may have taken.

Rame does not see anything else in the tight cavern space other than the small mechanical creature.

mgshamster
2018-12-19, 03:31 PM
Rame will pull himself back out of the tight cave. (Do note that Hiver is still active, so he shouldn't have to use his feet and keep upright. He should be hovering, which I imagine allows him to move about like an astronaut in space).

Once out, he'll pull himself up to the cliff top.

"Ain't nothing down there except a little mechanical critter, dripping silver off it like it's water. Either you had a critter in your flying thing there, or it's just happenstance that it's here.

I think them tracks may be better.

chadpants
2018-12-19, 05:20 PM
The large three-toed tracks Rame indicates appear to head off toward a rare copse of trees, sparsely seen in this desert region. The occasional purple-blue iridescent feather floats down from the colony of birds that are ubiquitous in this area, but they are conspicuously absent above the copse of trees.

As they examine the tracks they suddenly hear a blood curdling howl come from the direction of the trees, a very unnerving sound that would only seem to come from a sizeable creature.

EarthenRite
2018-12-19, 08:39 PM

The sound of the screaming creature causes Sanraksaka to immediately shift into a defensive stance. His eye snaps in the direction of the sound, the orb of his eye narrowing to a focus as he scans for signs of a hostile creature. In a fluid motion, he shifts to the front of his allies, including the Sanguine priest, and he extends one hand before him in a preparatory move for a strike.

“Stand behind me if you doubt your talents in combat, should it come to that. Do you know what manner of creature that is?”

The last question was addressed to the Sanguine priest.

chadpants
2018-12-19, 09:53 PM

The sound of the screaming creature causes Sanraksaka to immediately shift into a defensive stance. His eye snaps in the direction of the sound, the orb of his eye narrowing to a focus as he scans for signs of a hostile creature. In a fluid motion, he shifts to the front of his allies, including the Sanguine priest, and he extends one hand before him in a preparatory move for a strike.

“Stand behind me if you doubt your talents in combat, should it come to that. Do you know what manner of creature that is?”

The last question was addressed to the Sanguine priest.

Clearly Rodia appears a bit unnerved by the sound. She actually ceases work on the object to look in the direction of the sound, her eyes wide, the sclera showing all around her iris.

"I've not heard such a noise and I couldn't say what matter of beast it comes from. By the sound of it though, I imagine it is not one I would want to tangle with."

mgshamster
2018-12-20, 04:48 AM
Setting his feet back on the ground, Rame will prepare his disc launcher and get behind Sanraksaka.

(Deactivating hover)

dariathalon
2018-12-20, 08:04 AM
Voren
Might 10/10 (0 Edge), Speed 12/12 (0 Edge), Intellect 14/16 (1 Edge), Effort 1, XP 2

Voren jerks upright at the sound of the beast. "Of course, whatever ran off with the parts is some dangerous beasty. Isn't that always the way?" He pulls out his crossbow, making sure there is a full magazine attached. "From the sounds, maybe the thing has found something else to tangle with. If we're going to have to deal with it, we may as well try to get the parts while it's distracted." He allows Sanraksaka to take the lead, if he wishes, but nods that he is ready to move if the others wished to go explore.

chadpants
2018-12-20, 08:30 PM
As the party moves cautiously toward the copse of trees, another howl can be heard from that direction that rends the senses. They make their way toward the trees that are about 30 meters from Rodia and the device she works on.

As they get close to the trees they see a large creature laying amongst the trees. Even while prone it is easy to tell that the creature would be twice the height of a human if standing. The creature is bipedal, each leg as thick as a man's chest. At the top of the legs is a bulk of a pachydermic skinned body that is mostly mouth, large flat incisors with blade edged tips can be seen in its gaping maw. There are no sensory organs that can be discerned such as eyes and ears; rather, there are four tentacles just behind the mouth at the front corners of the body that taper into barbed tips.

The creature stirs agitatedly, clearly in pain. It lets out another howl between labored panting that sets one's hair on edge.

mgshamster
2018-12-21, 05:22 PM
Seeing thr strange creature is in pain, Rame looks to see if it has stepped on one of the missing parts.

chadpants
2018-12-21, 08:05 PM
As Rame looks to the bottoms of the creature's feet, he can see there is some form of rod jutting out from the foot. It appears that one of the ends has a crescent shape to it that has pierced the underside of the foot and is embedded quite a ways in.

dariathalon
2018-12-23, 12:59 PM
Voren

After staring at the creature for a couple of minutes, deep in consideration, Voren turns back to the others. He speaks in a quiet whisper. "I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve that might work. I've got some hedge magic that could maybe pull that bit out, and float it over to us. That seems safest, but it might not work if the part is embedded too deep. Let's see if this works."

Voren pauses for a moment to make sure no one has any objections, then extends a hand toward the part, focusing his mind through a small implant in his palm. He reaches out with the ability and tries to pull the object out of the wound.

Hedge Magic requires 1 intellect, but I believe I can use it for free because of my 1 intellect edge. Correct?

Do you need any sort of a roll?

chadpants
2018-12-23, 02:35 PM
Voren's hedge magic enables him to manipulate the space around him just enough to apply an opposing force on the rod to pull on it, away from the creature's foot. The rod resists at first, due to having been driven into the foot, the crescent shaped end creating a bit of a hook to hold it fast. Voren uses his ability to angle it just enough to allow the curve of the end to pivot outward, and it slips out of the foot, the rod now darting toward his hand, and he closes his fingers around the rod, catching it in midair.

The creature lets out a deep reverberating but brief yowl that the human party members can feel in their gut and Sanraksaka can feel in its circuitry. It thrashes its tentacles as the gaping maw utters its terrifying sound.

Hedge Magic requires 1 intellect, but I believe I can use it for free because of my 1 intellect edge. Correct?

Do you need any sort of a roll?

No roll needed for this one. Yes, you are correct. Hedge Magic can always be used by you at no cost.

Now Voren... I'm offering you a GM Intrusion here. If you accept it, you get two XP, one of which you must give another player, and stating the reason why. If you choose to decline it, it will be at the cost of 1 XP to you.

Voren find himself too close to the creature and one of the tentacles' barbed tips inadvertently jabs into him. Though slightly painful, the barb did not do him ny damage. He does feel an odd sensation at the puncture site, though...

The barbed tips of the tentacle delivered a toxin. Voren, make a Might roll DT6 to prevent the poison from taking effect. If the roll fails the toxin causes your vision to distort, increasing the difficulty of all vision related tasks by one step for the next hour.

dariathalon
2018-12-26, 09:12 PM
Voren
Might 10/10 (0 Edge), Speed 12/12 (0 Edge), Intellect 14/16 (1 Edge), Effort 1, XP 3

The beast thrashes out when Voren removes the part with his mind. Those tentacles were longer than they looked, but thankfully they didn't hurt much. Though that burning sensation was troubling. Voren stumbled several paces farther away, grabbing onto trees as he passed to keep his balance. He felt dizzy as though the world were wobbling in front of his eyes, so he squeezed them shut while his body tried to fight off the poison. "This isn't good, whatever was on that things barbs is causing my vision to go all fuzzy. I'll do what I can to help, but I may be a little less helpful for awhile."

Here's a roll. DT 6 means I need an 18 to succeed, right? [roll0]

mgshamster
2018-12-27, 11:23 AM
"Voren!" Rame exclaims as he rushes to the man's side. "Here, lean on me. We'll get you back to that priestess. With this part, we could get you to help.

dariathalon
2018-12-29, 01:18 PM
Voren
Might 10/10 (0 Edge), Speed 12/12 (0 Edge), Intellect 14/16 (1 Edge), Effort 1, XP 3

"Thank you, but there's still more to find. I think we needed two parts to use the numenera." He slips the one part he's retrieved into his bag for safe keeping then accepts Rame's help. Voren leans on him for support for several paces until the pain from the initial sting dies down. By the time they were about half-way back to the priestess, Voren is walking mostly unaided. "The pain isn't so bad anymore, and I'm not quite so dizzy. Things still look a little weird, but I think I can make it now," he says, though he continues to walk close to Rame in case the poison hits back again.

When they reach the priestess, Voren pulls the rod out from his bag. "We found this bit, I'd love to put it in myself, but I took a hit from the beast that had it. I think there was some kind of mild poison or something; my vision is a little blurry and spinning. I wouldn't want to screw it up."

chadpants
2018-12-30, 10:37 AM
Rodia appreciatively take the rod from Voren and immediately gets to work reattaching it to the lower part of the device.

"Thank you for retrieving it," she says somewhat distractedly. "Where did you find it, and how did it get where it was? The other piece wasn't in the same place you found this one? "

mgshamster
2018-12-31, 11:49 AM
There was a large critter over there, looks like it stepped on it. The part was stuck in it's foot.

No sign of any other parts, but this metallic liquid here led down to a slimy creature in a cavern below us, off the edge of the cliff. I didn't want to touch it, unless that's your missing piece.

chadpants
2019-01-01, 10:11 AM
"Slimy creature?" Rodia replies dubiously. "There is no creature that is part of this device, so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. However, I am still missing the other piece, and I'm certain the device won't function without it, as that piece will power the entire thing. Would you be willing to continue to look for it while I reattach this piece you retrieved?"

EarthenRite
2019-01-02, 07:29 PM

“If you need your wound healed, I may be able to assist in that vein. And I would be happy to continue searching for the part.”

dariathalon
2019-01-02, 11:50 PM
Voren

"The wound really isn't much more than a scratch, the problem is the toxin it carried with it. It's making everything look blurry and distorted. If you can help with that, I'd really appreciate it. It'd be a fair turn around for putting you back together." Voren rolls up a sleeve so that Sanraksaka can inspect the place where the barbed tentacle had hit him.

While Sanraksaka looked it over, Voren continued to focus on the missing part. "Are you sure the little slimy thing didn't have it? Maybe he took it back to a nest or something with him. If this power source was shiny, some creatures will collect things like that. Or maybe it was radiating some heat that he liked, so he might be sitting on it like a lizard sunning himself on a warm rock. I don't know. I'm just taking some guesses."

mgshamster
2019-01-03, 09:54 AM
I can't say. I didn't want to touch it. If you have something that will let me capture it, I will certainly try!

dariathalon
2019-01-09, 11:50 PM
Voren

"I don't think I have anything that will capture it. But we probably don't need to do that. Maybe just luring it away from its nest will be enough. I've got some food we could offer it to try to coax it out. Maybe tie it onto some string and toss it in, and when we've got its interest pull the string back. I don't know."

Eulalios
2019-01-11, 09:03 AM
Might 12/12 Speed 13/13 Intellect 15/15 Edge 1 Effort 1 XP ?
Nokwa had been trailing the party since shortly after they stopped in the desert village to purchase supplies. He had recognized Voren from previous casual encounters, as coming from two villages away from Nokwa's own home village. Why was that jack headed west?, Nokwa wondered. Whatever the reason, problems were sure to need solving - and that was what Nokwa did best.

Nokwa stood at the edge of a massive divot in the desert, watching the party move around a shiny contraption of numenera at the top of a butte. Above him, a flock of iridescent blue and purple birds swirled, shrieking. He wasn't sure whether they were hungry for him or frightened of him, but either way, they were annoying.

"Hi!" Nokwa shouted up at the people on the bluff. "Maybe I can help! I'll climb up now." He began to circle the bluff, looking for whatever route the others had taken to the top.

chadpants
2019-01-11, 10:21 PM
By circumnavigating the wide mesa Nokwa was able to find a winding ledge that led to the top of the mesa. When he reaches the top he sees the party looking around a bit and conversing with the woman working on the numenera.

"Hello," the woman says, only glancing up at Nokwa for only the briefest of moments. "My new friends here are helping me find the last part needed to repair the altar to take us to Sanguinity. If you can help us find the piece as well as something for a sacrifice I can bring you with me. It's a kind of plate shape object... I think... that you'll be looking for."

Eulalios
2019-01-13, 02:57 PM
Might 12/12 Speed 13/13 Intellect 15/15 Edge 1 Effort 1 XP 2
Nokwa smiled and nodded. The word "sacrifice" worried him in combination with the word "Sanguinity". Maybe, while the priestess was head-down trying to repair her machinery, she would be distractible enough for Nokwa to successfully [roll0] out of her: specifically, what kind of sacrifice?

"Is it a metal plate? Glass? Synth? What color?" Nokwa asked. "Was this machine built by Sanguinity? By the way, what kind of sacrifice does Sanguinity like to have? And where was the last place you saw that plate shaped thing?"

He began to look carefully around the top of the butte. Then he had a thought, and stepped to the edge, looking straight down... Maybe the plate shaped thing had fallen over the edge, and if so, it might flash in the sunlight if he was looking straight down at it.

chadpants
2019-01-13, 04:47 PM
Rodia sweeps a hand across the device in a sort of a "take a look at it" gesture. "It's metal and synth, the same color scheme as the rest of the altar." The altar is a bluish-silver item of two distinct halves mostly assembled. One of the halves looks less complete than the other. "I think the piece goes here. It clearly won't function without it.

"As for the 'sacrifice', it's the spirit of the term, meaning something you are willing to give up or part with. Sanguinity likes round and red things. Something about, say about 25 cm. It can be organic or inorganic, doesn't matter, so long as it's red. Now if you can help me find that part, please? Can you hurry? I really need to find my partners, hopefully before they've started the ritual. I don't want to taint the potential blessing the gods would grant me." With that she continues her work reassembling the device.

As Nokwa looks over the precipice he sees nothing reflecting from below.