PDA

View Full Version : CR for LA+0 Race and Class Levels

Kesnit
2007-09-21, 08:15 PM
I've tried reading the DMG and MM, but have never seen an answer that makes sense...

How do I calculate CR for a non-monster race with class levels?

I have a human Fighter 6 / Blackguard 4 / Thrall of Orcas 2. Non-monsterous race, LA +0, just class levels. Wealth as standard for a LVL 12 character. Built as if I was building a PC (though she is one of the final bosses).

TheElfLord
2007-09-21, 08:25 PM
Each PC class level adds 1 to the CR
so your example would be CR 12.

For an NPC classed character, take the total number of levels minus 1 for the CR.

So a level 12 adept would be CR 11.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-21, 08:25 PM
CR 12 for that character.

kamikasei
2007-09-21, 08:28 PM
Think of it as: a party member has level X. The party consists of four people of level X. A CR X challenge is supposed to require a quarter of their resources. Therefore a single foe of ECL X is a CR X challenge.

So a human Fighter 6 is CR 6. A Fighter 6/Blackguard 4 is CR 10, and so on.

There are rules concerning "associated" and "non-associated" classes but that's for races/monsters with abilities that bias them towards melee, casting, or some other niche that different classes will synergize with differently.

Kesnit
2007-09-21, 08:32 PM
That's what I thought, but that doesn't make a lot of sense... 4 LVL 12 characters shouldn't have that tough of a time with a single LVL 12 foe...

But hey, saves my little brain trying to work out calculations! :smallsmile:

Douglas
2007-09-21, 08:37 PM
No, they shouldn't. A single monster with CR equal to the party level should require approximately 20-25% of the party's resources to defeat, not usually a serious threat unless the party has already depleted most of its resources for the day. If you want a monster that stands a reasonable chance of beating the party, you need a monster with CR 4 above party level. Note that the rules for calculating Encounter Level from CR equate that CR 4 above monster to four CR = party level monsters, theoretically equivalent to an exact clone of the entire party.

kamikasei
2007-09-21, 08:37 PM
That's what I thought, but that doesn't make a lot of sense... 4 LVL 12 characters shouldn't have that tough of a time with a single LVL 12 foe...

But hey, saves my little brain trying to work out calculations! :smallsmile:

How tough a time do you think they'll have? A CR 12 foe shouldn't actually be that problematic for an ECL 12 party. A few spells and potions and down they go.

Kesnit
2007-09-21, 09:05 PM
How tough a time do you think they'll have? A CR 12 foe shouldn't actually be that problematic for an ECL 12 party. A few spells and potions and down they go.

The referenced NPC is one of the BBEG's (there's 2, but they will be fought seperatly). I was trying to get a gauge as to how much more leveling to do to her before I stick her in front of the party. Now I know. :smallsmile: