PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5 DM going to run a 5E group: what books etc do I get?

Balog
2018-12-10, 12:26 AM
Title says it all. Finally found some folks to game with locally, but they’ve never played and rather than have them try to get used 3.5 books I’m just switching to 5E. I’ll obviously grab the main three, but are any of the other ones (Volo’s guide etc) worth picking up? Any other things (low level modules, fancy DM screens or ?) I should snag?

Gastronomie
2018-12-10, 12:34 AM
Once you get the main three books, the other books are optional for 5e. Yes, they are interesting, but none are crucial. It's probably best to first work with the main three, and after that, when you feel interested in them, picking up the others.

Volo's is basically MM2. Mainly more low-level monsters.
Mordenkainen's is basically MM3. Mainly more high-level monsters.

SCAG is something of a mix between PHB 1.5 and a realm guide, because it's half of each.
Xanathar's is basically PHB 2. Includes more sub-classes and spells, but although some options are very powerful, none are required to enjoy playing 5e.

Balog
2018-12-10, 06:32 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the insight and the comparison to previous books, that makes it easier.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-10, 06:47 PM
I'd definitely say Xanathar's is the most essential for players and DMs alike. It has enough content to rival both the PHB and the DMG COMBINED.

After that, SCAG has some relevant information to the Forgotten Realms, great for some story building, gods and the like.

Volo's and Mordenkainen's are pretty comparable. Volo's has more "exotic" creatures, focused around lower level monsters. Mordenkainen's has creatures related to political adventures (with more elf and dwarf races, for instance), and has a large number of monsters that fit into a Heaven vs. Hell kind of higher level campaign.