PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ways to defend / protect against ranged touch attacks?

skunk3
2018-12-10, 04:05 AM
What are some ways you guys know of to protect against ranged touch attacks? Specifically, I am talking about ray-type spells.

Feats / items / spells / etc. are all on the table. I know that upping one's DEX as high as possible is step one, but aside from that..?

peacenlove
2018-12-10, 04:25 AM
Displacement + incorporeality.
Scinitillating scales if you are a dragon or another critter with inflated natural armor
Counterspell the offending spell. Usually its a metamagicked 4th or lower conjuration spell, augmented by true strike, so you actually come ahead. Also ANOTHER use for your cloudkill spell and improved counterspell.
There is a 4th level spell in Spell compendium, Ray deflection.
If you are the rare psion with a very good plate, Deflective Armor from RoStone is worth a look into.

Mike Miller
2018-12-10, 06:00 AM
There is a 4th level spell in Spell compendium, Ray deflection.

This is your ray defense.

AnimeTheCat
2018-12-10, 08:05 AM
Theres the feat Shield Ward from PHBII that grants your Shield Bonus to your Touch AC, Grapple/Bullrush/Disarm/Trip resistance. Be it a benefit or a penalty it's got Sheild Focus as a prerequisite so you could be getting +3 to your Touch AC with any heavy shield you use (more with enhancement bonuses on the shields). Worthwhile to note that all that applies an animated shield as well so you can still use both your hands for stuffs.

Saintheart
2018-12-10, 08:06 AM
Friendly Fire, Exemplars of Evil. 4th level spell, defeats ranged and ranged touch attacks, and at best hits another target within 30 feet.

Thurbane
2018-12-10, 04:54 PM
Yeah, in basic terms:
- Miss chance
- High touch AC
- SR
- Special defences (i.e. Ray Deflection, Spell Immunity, Globe of Invulnerability etc.)

Quertus
2018-12-10, 08:17 PM
Epic feat Ray Reflection.

Going first, killing your opponent before they use a ray.

Invisibility.

Fog (various).

Spell Blade (specific ray spell).

Contingency.

J-H
2018-12-10, 10:46 PM
PHB2 (I think) has a Rogue ACF where you trade Evasion for the ability to deflect or reflect rays.
If it's not there, it's in CM or CArc.

Thurbane
2018-12-10, 10:53 PM
PHB2 (I think) has a Rogue ACF where you trade Evasion for the ability to deflect or reflect rays.
If it's not there, it's in CM or CArc.

Spell Reflection: Complete Mage, p.35.

Do note, however, that the attacks needs to miss first.