PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Into the fray

KyleG
2018-12-10, 05:09 AM
Would it be out right stupid of me to consider being a DM for a group of new players when i myself am a new player (like really new). a few locals (3) have all put up on a regional page requests to partake in a campaign and it turns out we are all in very close proximity. So i thought why not i could probably do it. Ive read a couple of things and thought i can craft a story for the kids so why not adults following a more structure outline. Is this MAD? And what adventure would be the easiest on us all, DM and players alike?

Silkensword
2018-12-10, 05:16 AM
I suggest trying out a low-stakes single session kind of thing where you can try out if you like to DM before committing to running an entire, potentially long-lasting session! See how you like it, develop your feel for it, then see if you want to try out running a proper session! :)

KyleG
2018-12-10, 05:33 AM
I suggest trying out a low-stakes single session kind of thing where you can try out if you like to DM before committing to running an entire, potentially long-lasting session! See how you like it, develop your feel for it, then see if you want to try out running a proper session! :)

Fair call...a one shot...ill look around.

DarkKnightJin
2018-12-10, 05:35 AM
I agree with Silk.
Possibly see if you can get a module to run, so you don't have to worry about the overall goal and prep too much.

I've done 2 instances of what is apparently a 'two-shot' with prepped material and overall length of how fast things tend to go.

I don't dislike DMing, but I am unsure of I could create an entire homebrew setting for players to run through and have fun from 1 to 20.

Thinking about it, perhaps I will get started on building my own world, to possibly have a campaign in at some point in the future, if/when I decide that I can handle the herding of cats that is inevitably the DM's fate.

SpacePiggy1245
2018-12-10, 05:37 AM
From my experience, maybe run a set out campaign that's already been made if, that is, you want to run a campaign. If you are intent on making your own, use flexible and over used tropes like the Damsel in distress, the BBEG trying to take over the world. Goblins raiding the nearby towns. Use starters like the tavern, or use a one were there traveling and sitting together. Don't worry about complication. Just try to make it as black and white as possible, as you get better add a shade of gray, then another, then another. The three things to take from this are, 1, Don't overcomplicate, 2, Use flexible tropes and starts, even if there over used and 3, and I'm serious now, have fun. Having fun will make you a better DM.

Have Fun and DM in peace.

KyleG
2018-12-10, 05:45 AM
From my experience, maybe run a set out campaign that's already been made if, that is, you want to run a campaign. If you are intent on making your own, use flexible and over used tropes like the Damsel in distress, the BBEG trying to take over the world. Goblins raiding the nearby towns. Use starters like the tavern, or use a one were there traveling and sitting together. Don't worry about complication. Just try to make it as black and white as possible, as you get better add a shade of gray, then another, then another. The three things to take from this are, 1, Don't overcomplicate, 2, Use flexible tropes and starts, even if there over used and 3, and I'm serious now, have fun. Having fun will make you a better DM.

Have Fun and DM in peace.

Nooooo. definitely not brewing up my own thing. Just considering what our options might be.

SpacePiggy1245
2018-12-10, 05:55 AM
Nooooo. definitely not brewing up my own thing. Just considering what our options might be.

Don't worry, but if your looking for a pre existing one search for the starter set, It comes with some stuff on how to DM, Then a nice pre-existing campaign you can DM, with everything you need to know in the book.

DM in peace

Skylivedk
2018-12-10, 07:21 AM
Lost Mines of Phandelver is a good test. The first encounter and cave function neatly as a one shot and if you like it you can carry on

SpacePiggy1245
2018-12-11, 05:47 AM
Lost Mines of Phandelver is a good test. The first encounter and cave function neatly as a one shot and if you like it you can carry on

Yea, that is a easy one to do, I like that you agree with this one. This campaign turned me into a DM.

Laserlight
2018-12-11, 07:00 AM
Every DM has a first game. If you're with other newbies, they can't help; if you're with veterans, you worry that they know more than you do. Just remember it's a game and have fun with it.

I'd have the first session be a "tutorial". Given them each a L2 character, and have them run through a fight against the same number of goblins. Use some terrain: trees they can hide behind, tall grass or brambles to slow movement, a patch of drifting fog. Then run a couple more fights, maybe swapping characters so the girl who had the fighter gets to try a sorcerer this time. If they get killed, well, they weren't "real" characters, just practice.

Then do a module--Lost Mines, for instance.

KyleG
2018-12-16, 08:45 PM
Ive started taking the kids thru lost mines...looks to be a winner. The small adventures work well so would the adventurers league campaigns continue on well? Or would they have to start fresh?

strangebloke
2018-12-16, 09:29 PM
Ive started taking the kids thru lost mines...looks to be a winner. The small adventures work well so would the adventurers league campaigns continue on well? Or would they have to start fresh?

The campaigns have logical breakpoints. It's pretty easy to go from Lost Mines to whatever to Storm King's Thunder.

Jophiel
2018-12-17, 10:21 AM
The small adventures work well so would the adventurers league campaigns continue on well? Or would they have to start fresh?
You can definitely use the AL modules if you want. They're rated for tiers I (levels 1-4), II (5-10), etc but if you're not actually playing Adventurer's League you can toughen the encounters if you need. Note that they're designed to be fairly linear for time purposes so if the party goes off on an adventuring tangent, they probably won't have a ton of supporting information.

On the plus side, they take place in the Forgotten Realms so you can seamlessly move your party from Lost Mines to one of the AL arcs or just use them to fill content gaps on sessions where you had less time to prepare something. I think that, as guided content for a new party that perhaps wants a sense of direction, they'd work great. If your party is the kind who randomly decides to look for trouble in weird places, they might give a starting point but you'll need to do some thinking on the fly.

KyleG
2018-12-17, 11:04 AM
Thanks for now they are just quick entertainment for the kids so sound good. Do they follow a story order. I saw one for Hillsfar but looking at the map that's a fair way from phandalin

SirGraystone
2018-12-17, 12:39 PM
AL modules come with season, I think they are up to season 8 now, each season are in different part of the world, the last season is in Waterdeep.

Jophiel
2018-12-17, 01:38 PM
Thanks for now they are just quick entertainment for the kids so sound good. Do they follow a story order. I saw one for Hillsfar but looking at the map that's a fair way from phandalin
Each season is stand alone and deals with another part of the Realms. The seasons are made up of 3-4 part arc mini-campaigns that loosely tie together to make the season but each arc is also self contained.

I wouldn't worry much about geography. If the players are happy to be along and playing, I can't see them giving you grief for "But I don't WANT to be traveling to Hillsfar!" and you don't need to play out the entire trip.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-17, 01:44 PM
Echoing Lost Mines of Phandelver; it's a fantastic tutorial for D&D in general. Lots of different combat options, a variety of social approaches to talk out of things, different environments, just really well done in general.

KyleG
2018-12-17, 04:27 PM
Each season is stand alone and deals with another part of the Realms. The seasons are made up of 3-4 part arc mini-campaigns that loosely tie together to make the season but each arc is also self contained.

I wouldn't worry much about geography. If the players are happy to be along and playing, I can't see them giving you grief for "But I don't WANT to be traveling to Hillsfar!" and you don't need to play out the entire trip.

But it would bother me! That would be chaos lol