PDA

View Full Version : My character died...

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-10, 07:03 AM
So my swashbuckler died in a drunken stupor attempting to dungeon delve. Walked into a room and got slaughtered by like four goons. It didn't help that I had tripped and fallen in the doorway...or that I was dead drunk...anyways...

So I get to roll up a new character. I'm leaning heavily towards sorcerer, but wanted to get some opinions. Current party makeup is: Negative energy channeling cleric, a dwarf fighter, and a half elf investigator. I'm thinking gnome sorcerer. Currently level 1 (yes, my dramatic swashie died early lol), but will likely continue on to around 10th or so.

EDIT: This is a Pathfinder Game.

gooddragon1
2018-12-10, 07:42 AM
So my swashbuckler died in a drunken stupor attempting to dungeon delve. Walked into a room and got slaughtered by like four goons. It didn't help that I had tripped and fallen in the doorway...or that I was dead drunk...anyways...

So I get to roll up a new character. I'm leaning heavily towards sorcerer, but wanted to get some opinions. Current party makeup is: Negative energy channeling cleric, a dwarf fighter, and a half elf investigator. I'm thinking gnome sorcerer. Currently level 1 (yes, my dramatic swashie died early lol), but will likely continue on to around 10th or so.

A sorcerer might have survivability issues. Though I haven't played them at all really. You might want to check out a handbook for building one. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

I recommend enlarge person as a spell known (it will affect any humanoid such as your dwarf fighter, maybe your cleric depending on race). It's a pretty good choice imo. Alter self is also useful and can help with survival. Ask how your dm handles polymorph first though.

This is homebrew I recently made, but I think it is probably too powerful as a variant sorcerer (it's a strict upgrade, there's a scaled down version later on in another post , but that's still a strict upgrade): http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?575527-Lightning-Mage-3-5-Sorceror-Variant-Strict-Upgrade

Awakeninfinity
2018-12-10, 07:46 AM
Sorcerer could fit very well, with that party make-up... Based on the investigator class, might I assume you're playing Pathfinder?

Destined Sorcerer is pretty good in my opinion, with a load of useful spells and abilities that can very flavorful.

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-10, 08:11 AM
Yea its PF. Forgot to tab that lol. And yea. Sorcerer or Wizard definitely. Sadly no Homebrew is allowed. :/

the_david
2018-12-10, 08:15 AM
Gnome Magic and your bonus to charisma should really help with illusion spells. There might even be a bloodline that adds some useful gimmicks to your illusion spells, but I can't really think of one right now.
Ofcourse you could replace Gnome Magic and Illusion Resistance with the Pyromaniac alternative racial trait. The Elemental bloodline would be a great choice, with Draconic as a good second choice.
Don't worry about survivability that much. 3.5 sorcerers only had d4 for hit dice, and no favored class bonuses. (Bonii?) You can easily get 2 extra hp per level right there, and you already have a bonus to constitution. Your size bonus to AC also helps. Alter Self had a major nerf, so it won't be as useful as gooddragon1 thinks it would be.

16bearswutIdo
2018-12-10, 08:28 AM
Were you dead drunk IRL or IC or both? Because that's just good RP if both.

Either way, make a Gnome Sorcerer and ask your DM if you can use create water to create beer instead.

Particle_Man
2018-12-10, 09:25 AM
As another option, human sorcerer can get you extra spells known later on via favoured class bonus. Draconic bloodline gets you perception as a class skill. I believe there are feats that lets you fill in spellcaster levels if you went for the draconic disciple prestige class but that would be down the road.

Oddly, half-orc sorcerer can work, as that extra round of “not dead yet” can give you time to magically save yourself.

That said, gnome sorcerer is a solid choice.

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-10, 12:01 PM

Either way, make a Gnome Sorcerer and ask your DM if you can use create water to create beer instead.

*I* was pretty buzzed, not quite full on drunk. My *Character* was full out plastered drunk. Everyone died laughing when it happened too. Took like 2 rounds.

the_david
2018-12-10, 12:03 PM

Create Water isn't on the Sorcerer spell list. I'm pretty sure Clerics and Oracles of Cayden Cailean can do this though. Funny thing, the dead Swashbuckler made me think of Cayden Cailean.