PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rolled great for scores, Can't decide on a race or how to apply ability scores.

StickyZ
2018-12-10, 09:04 AM
Rolling a Cleric, likely Grave domain. We will be starting at level 3

We used the 24d6 method to roll stats and I managed to get an 88, after removing the lowest rolls that brought me to 80 and assuming full use I made the following scores to apply:

Thinking to apply the scores as

Str: 16, Dex: 12, Con: 16, Int:8, Wis:18, Cha:10

Having a hard time choosing a race. I was originally Hill Dwarf, but I think variant Human gives me a similar level of scores with the free feat pushing it over the edge. Applying the racial scores to Wis and Cha gives me the chance at Lvl 4 to increase Wis to 20 and Cha to 12. I believe doing the scores in this way gives me a good AC (17 with shield and medium armor) and solid attack ability (+5 to hit).

I know this is an embarrassment of riches question but I want to get the most out of a fantastic ability score roll.

Daghoulish
2018-12-10, 09:12 AM
If I may ask, why the 16 in Str? As a grave cleric you don't get heavy armor or martial weapons, meaning your ac will always be based off dex. With a 16 you could get medium armor master and get 18 ac with a breastplate. I also feel that with potent cantrip you don't need a str or dex stat for combat so you should focus more on ac with those stats.

Azgeroth
2018-12-10, 09:19 AM
i agree with daghoulish,

8 str, 16 dex, 16 con, 10 int, 18 wis, 12 cha

you can choose any race you want with those stats, really, any race at all as you already have crazy good stats even with out racial bonuses. you could go tiefling/drow/dragonborn/gnome/halfing/half-orc/goliath ANYTHING and still be very capable..

choose whichever gives the best flavour for your concept. if you want super optimized, go for halfling or wood elf, forest gnome is also not a bad choice. of course furbolg is a great choice. hill dwarf isnt a bad one either.. but again, its not going to mage a ,major difference.

though if im right, and furbolgs get +2 wis, that means your starting with a 20 wis. so all ASI's can be feats! hurrah!

StickyZ
2018-12-10, 09:27 AM
If I may ask, why the 16 in Str? As a grave cleric you don't get heavy armor or martial weapons, meaning your ac will always be based off dex. With a 16 you could get medium armor master and get 18 ac with a breastplate. I also feel that with potent cantrip you don't need a str or dex stat for combat so you should focus more on ac with those stats.

You are probably right, I just figured with +5 to hit at level 3 when spell casting is still limited might be more useful when being in the front line. Adding 25% chance to hit gives another avenue of use besides cantrips at low level, till they become potent. Also my AC is still 17 with the breastplate which is plenty high to start out.

I do like the idea of having 20 wis to start, but hopefully we progress quickly as we are doing Mad Mage, but having a prequel to get to level 5

Wildarm
2018-12-10, 09:41 AM
Being able to start with 20 in a primary stat means effectively a free feat as well. I would pick a race that provides +2 to Wisdom.

Unfortunately there are few choices for that:

Firbolg - +2 Wis +1 Str and a slew of magic abilities which are all pretty decent and versatile.

House Deneith - Dragonmarked Human - Also +2 Wis +1 Str - Good choice if you want to be a front line protective warrior. You'd need DM permission though as dragonmarks are from Eberron.

I'd personally recommend House Deneith Human Tempest Cleric. Reaction attack, great domain list, maximized damage, martial weapons and heavy armor. A fantastic front liner combined with the racial features.

You may want to look at a heavy armor domain and dump dex enough to get your Con to 17. Then pick Resiliant(Con) at level 4 to even it out and Resilient(Str) at level 8 to keep your melee attack up and help with shove/trip/move attacks.

Another option you may want to look at is to focus on a STR based cleric instead with a domain that grants martial weapons. Pick Variant Human and Polearm Mastery as your starting feat - 19 Str/17 Wis. Grab Sentinel at level 4 and then round our your Str/Wis at level 8. Raise Wis to 20 at Level 12.

BobZan
2018-12-10, 10:28 AM
I'd split the points other way 18 18 16 10 10 8

Put both 18s on your primary stats, 16 on secondary, rest on rest.

Wildarm
2018-12-10, 11:04 AM
I'd split the points other way 18 18 16 10 10 8

Put both 18s on your primary stats, 16 on secondary, rest on rest.

Another option with the above stats - Warforged Envoy - 19 Dex, 19 Wis, 17 Con - Round out Dex/Wis at Level 4. Pickup Res(Con) at Level 8, +2 Con at level 12. For a final stat block of - 10 Str, 20 Dex, 20 Con, 10 Int, 20 Wis, 8 Cha.

With darkwood core armor and a rapier/shield you'll have max bonus for physical and spell attacks plus a crazy good AC: 11 + Dex + Prof + 2(shield) = 19 at Level 1, 20 at level 4, 21 at level 5, 22 at level 9, 23 at level 13 and 24 at level 17.

Your standard action will be spiritual weapon + Spectral Guardians and then just wade into melee. Between your high AC and great CON save you should never lose concentration.

With your high dexterity, pick up integrated Thief tools and stealth proficiency. You can also act as the party rogue in many cases.

CTurbo
2018-12-10, 11:12 AM
I'd use 18, 18, 18, 10, 8, 8

If you want a melee focused Cleric, Go Vhuman Tempest Cleric with Heavy Armor Master at level 1 for 20 Str, 10 Dex, 19 Con, 8 Int, 18 Wis, 8 Cha. Take Res(Con) at level 4 to bump it to 20. Take Sentinel at level 8, +2 Wis at level 12. Warcaster at 16. 20 AC with Plate, Warhammer and Shield or 18 AC with Maul.

If you want a tough as nails, but more traditional Cleric, go Vhuman Forge Cleric with Heavy Armor Master at level 1 for 16 Str, 10 Dex, 19 Con, 10 Int, 18 Wis, 10 Cha. Take Res(Con) at level 4, +2 Wis at level 8, Warcaster at 12. Your AC would be like 22 with Plate and Shield and you'd never have to worry about dropping concentration.