PDA

View Full Version : Arrival at Musketaquid [In Character]

the_brazenburn
2018-12-10, 09:18 AM
You are traveling along the dangerous Nanin Trail to the small town of Tikoosue, where a mutual acquaintance of yours lives. His name is Ralf Kenning, a warrior of Celtic stock that you have not heard from in several years. Now he has sent you a letter, which reads as follows.

"Dear friends,

I am in urgent need of your assistance. Tikoosue is in grave danger, as recent werewolf attacks from the Hollow have cut off our supply trains. We normally would be able to survive on our agriculture, but the winter has been difficult and our stores of cornmeal have dwindled to nearly nothing. I beg of you, please bring food! We are driven to desperation!

Regards,

Ralf Kenning"

The only way to Tikoosue is along the Nanin Trail, a barely maintained path that leads along the outskirts of the Hollow, which you all know to be the center of werewolf activity in Musketaquid. You have purchased a large quantity of food and supplies with the money Ralf sent you, and are headed off to his village.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-10, 09:58 AM
Gulaviar keeps his eyes fixed on the Hollow. He doesn't remember if werewolves attack in daylight, but doesn't want to be surprised.

JNAProductions
2018-12-10, 10:00 AM
Sasha, staying near the middle of the group, spends her time along the travel talking and singing, telling the occasional joke. Her spirits aren't quite as high as they might usually be-she remembers Ralf, what a good man he is. He doesn't deserve to be attacked, nor does his village, but the world can be a cruel place.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-10, 10:12 AM
Your first day of travel is mainly uneventful. As you stop to rest, Sasha spots a little stone figurine tangled among the leaves of a birch tree near your campsite. It is shaped like a squat man with a large, square head and crudely chiseled mouth and carved of some crumbly grey stone. Durnan can tell, via the level of disintegration, that it has been in the wet and wind for about a month.

JNAProductions
2018-12-10, 10:19 AM
What do you think it is? Sasha asks, stepping a little towards it, but not too close. I'm still trying to learn all the little historical details, so I'm sure one of you knows better than I.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-10, 11:26 AM
Gulaviar will take a closer look, trying to rack his mind for any relevant information.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-10, 11:31 AM
Gulaviar will take a closer look, trying to rack his mind for any relevant information.

Okay, roll a History check.

ahyangyi
2018-12-10, 01:16 PM
Feather looks nearby, looking for traces of the ex-owner of this figurine.

One month is probably too long if the ex-owner was just a random traveler carrying many things and accidentally lost the figurine here, but this is but one of the many possibilities. What if this figurine is intentionally put here? What if the ex-owner was forced to drop the figurine here, like, he was ambushed?

stanleyindraven
2018-12-10, 02:21 PM
"Stay back, no good can come of that," Gulaviar says with distaste. He steps back and glances around.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-10, 02:38 PM
As you camp for the night, you sleep as far away from the sinister rock as possible. You hear distant howling as you drift off to sleep, but are unmolested until the rosy finger of Dawn wakes you from your slumber. Would you like to declare any particular actions before you set off along the trail again?

ahyangyi
2018-12-10, 02:47 PM
I'm confused. What did you find about the rock? Feather asks Gulaviar.

Rokku
2018-12-11, 01:51 AM
Cuicatl gives the proper praise and offerings to the Sun as she rises, then gets ready to scout ahead.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-11, 08:35 AM
"The stone is an old symbol of ill fortune, no good will follow." Gulaviar says, obviously concerned.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-12-11, 09:51 AM
Durnan lets out a chortle. "Bad luck has followed me everywhere. Who's to stay it's stopped now?" As he eats an unhealthily tiny portion of the breakfast, he packs and prepares to leave along the dewy morning trail.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-11, 10:34 AM
"I would prefer we didn't meet with bad luck along our way."

ahyangyi
2018-12-11, 10:57 AM
(The previous night)
Fair enough, let's stay away from it. Feather says. He looks at the energy lines on his arms, and decides that he doesn't have a similar symbol on himself. Which makes him feel better, as anything that implies that he is not a symbol of ill fortune would.

(Morning of the second day)
While most people in the party carry food for Ralf Kenning, Feather can merely carry his travelling stuff.

However, Feather does carry with him a hunting trap, which he would set every night somewhere near their camp and retrieve the next morning. Hopefully, in this way, he can lessen his reliance on the ration and maybe he could give the surplus rations to Ralf.

Back when Feather often lived alone, he would start everyday by playing his lovely flute. However, he finds no reason to do the same in a party, and he is shy about his flute playing ability anyways.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-11, 11:25 AM
The second day is equally uneventful. The only thing of interest occurs just before dusk, when Feather trips over something buried below the thin layer of mud and slush. A thin white object is sticking out of the sludge, with several others beneath it. It looks ominously like a bone...

stanleyindraven
2018-12-11, 11:28 AM
"What did you find Feather?"

ahyangyi
2018-12-11, 12:18 PM
A bone. Wait, there are a few more under this one... That’s a skeleton. Feather says, in a slightly frightened tone. A few moments later, he seems to calm himself, and asks himself, I wonder whether this was a human, and when did he die.

Feather digs the bones and investigates the soil depth in an attempt to answer his own question.

Part of his fear is about whether this skeleton is connected to the figurine they discovered last night. If the skeleton belongs to a humanoid and is about a month old, it will confirm his fears.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-11, 12:26 PM
A bone. Wait, there are a few more under this one... That’s a skeleton. Feather says, in a slightly frightened tone. A few moments later, he seems to calm himself, and asks himself, I wonder whether this was a human, and when did he die.

Feather digs the bones and investigates the soil depth in an attempt to answer his own question.

Part of his fear is about whether this skeleton is connected to the figurine they discovered last night. If the skeleton belongs to a humanoid and is about a month old, it will confirm his fears.

It is definitely humanoid, and you can make a Medicine check to determine the age.

Or you could just look at the crumbly grey statuette clutched in one bony hand.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-12-11, 12:33 PM
Durnan seems unfazed by seeing the skeleton, instead showing a seemingly grotesque fascination, looking the specimen up and down. "With this much decay, it has teh be more than a month old."

I assume the bones are relatively clean and bleached? If not, and they have flesh on the bones, I'll have to attempt to date the corpse.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-11, 12:53 PM
Durnan seems unfazed by seeing the skeleton, instead showing a seemingly grotesque fascination, looking the specimen up and down. "With this much decay, it has teh be more than a month old."

I assume the bones are relatively clean and bleached? If not, and they have flesh on the bones, I'll have to attempt to date the corpse.

They are clean and sort of decayed.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-11, 01:06 PM
"It would appear he touched the bad idol," Gulaviar says, pointing to the statue.

JNAProductions
2018-12-11, 02:18 PM
Well, none of us should touch it, then, Sasha says. Can we bury it somewhere? Or perhaps seal it in a pack, carefully, and take it to someone who can cleanse it?

ahyangyi
2018-12-13, 03:08 AM
Does anyone know somebody who can clean this stuff? If not, we'd better leave this skeleton alone and hurry for Ralf.

Feather wants to stay away from any symbol potentially associated with unluck, and wants to prioritize marching towards Ralf.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-13, 08:27 AM
"I do not, I say we move on." Gulaviar does not seem at ease.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-13, 09:10 AM
You make a few more miles before nightfall today. According to your map, Tikoosue is only another day away. The howls of far-off wolves are louder and more frequent tonight. You sleep poorly, and wake up shivering from an early-spring frost. Does anybody have any actions to declare before setting back off?

the_brazenburn
2018-12-14, 09:57 AM
Since there has been no response for 24 hours, I will assume that nobody wants to declare an action and so we will set off along the trail again.

You've been traveling for four hours when you hear the howls of wolves. You've never heard them during the daylight hours before, and fear stabs down your spine when you realize that they seem to be getting closer...

ahyangyi
2018-12-14, 11:22 AM
I'm afraid these are werewolves approaching us... Feather says. He is not completely sure what to do, since he had not fought any werewolves before. That said, he did fight humans and wolves, and he is mildly familiar with dealing with them.

If they are coming to us, what about ambushing them?

Feather looks at the terrain around and try to find an advantageous position that allows the party to have a clean view and can hide themselves. He also attempts to put his hunting trap in the general direction of the howls, even if the hunting trap is not terribly effective against them.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-14, 01:12 PM
"We do not know how many of them, but we can be prepared for their arrival."

JNAProductions
2018-12-14, 01:19 PM
I don't like the sound of this... Sasha says. I'm reasonably adept at hiding, though, if we want to ambush them.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-17, 09:09 AM
With a howl and a burst of shrieking laughter, the werewolves smash through the bushes lining the trail. There are three of them: one transformed into a half-man, half wolf, the others in human form wielding shortbows. One of the non-transformed ones isn't watching his step, and Feather's hunting trap snaps shut on his foot, causing him to howl in agony and drop his bow. The others continue toward you with murder in their eyes.

Roll initiative.

Edit: Werewolf Initiatives (because the forum roller hates me): 12, 21

stanleyindraven
2018-12-17, 09:11 AM
Rolling for initiative [roll0]

SunderedWorldDM
2018-12-17, 09:17 AM
Initiative time! [roll0]

ahyangyi
2018-12-17, 09:40 AM
Feather's Initiative: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2018-12-17, 10:54 AM
[roll0]

Ah! Sasha lets out as the werewolves appear, startling back a pace.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-17, 11:26 AM
Okay, Guliavar will go first. What action do you take?

If anybody else wishes to join the initiative order, just roll and we'll insert you.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-17, 11:30 AM
Gulaviar will pull and pitch a javelin at the un trapped human with a shortbow.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

the_brazenburn
2018-12-17, 11:39 AM
Gulaviar will pull and pitch a javelin at the un trapped human with a shortbow.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Gulaviar's javelin flies through the air, piercing the attacker through the gut. She staggers backward, clutching her bleeding stomach.

The werewolf howls in outrage and leaps at Gulaviar and Durnan, who are nearest to him.

Against Gulaviar: 16
Against Durnan: 12

All hits are for 7 damage.

Please tell me your reactions (especially if you are dead) and then it will be Feather's turn.

stanleyindraven
2018-12-17, 11:50 AM
Gulaviar takes the gash and looks daunted, but only for an instant, then a primal force is awakened.

RAGE, RAGE, f*ing RAGE!

ahyangyi
2018-12-17, 07:46 PM
Let's see if Feather can recall any information on various forms of lycanthropy,.

Since humans are his favorite enemy... advantage?
[roll0] nature
[roll1] nature again

EDIT: wait, so one of the werewolf wielding a shortbow decided to leap on someone...? Interesting...

the_brazenburn
2018-12-17, 08:24 PM
Let's see if Feather can recall any information on various forms of lycanthropy,.

Since humans are his favorite enemy... advantage?
[roll0] nature
[roll1] nature again

EDIT: wait, so one of the werewolf wielding a shortbow decided to leap on someone...? Interesting...

No the one without a bow leaped at you.

And you remember nothing in particular about lycanthropy.

ahyangyi
2018-12-18, 12:13 AM
Unsure why lycanthropes seem to have multiple forms, and not completely clear how strong they are, Feather casts Levitate at the werewolf bashing Gulaviar and without a bow.

(DC 14 (8+con 4 + prof 2) constitution check to save, failing the save means the werewolf levitates to 20' high)

the_brazenburn
2018-12-18, 07:30 AM
Unsure why lycanthropes seem to have multiple forms, and not completely clear how strong they are, Feather casts Levitate at the werewolf bashing Gulaviar and without a bow.

(DC 14 (8+con 4 + prof 2) constitution check to save, failing the save means the werewolf levitates to 20' high)

Howling in dismay, the werewolf is hurled twenty feet up into the air, where it hangs at an odd angle. It is biting and spitting, thrashing at the air in an attempt to reach you below.

It is now Durnan's turn. Oh, by the way, if somebody doesn't take an action in 24 hours from the previous post, I will simply assume they took the Dodge action (as in, they are unable to decide what to do).

the_brazenburn
2018-12-19, 09:09 AM

Howling in dismay, the werewolf is hurled twenty feet up into the air, where it hangs at an odd angle. It is biting and spitting, thrashing at the air in an attempt to reach you below.

It is now Durnan's turn. Oh, by the way, if somebody doesn't take an action in 24 hours from the previous post, I will simply assume they took the Dodge action (as in, they are unable to decide what to do).

Unable to decide what to do, Durnan stalls, giving the woman with the bow an opportunity to flee into the woods, firing an arrow at Feather as a last parting blow.

Roll to hit: 19
3 piercing damage on hit

Let me know your reactions, and then it will be Sasha's turn.

ahyangyi
2018-12-19, 02:18 PM
Feather wears hide armor and relies on evasion during combat. Unfortunately for him, an arrow at point blank distance is hard to evade. It struck his left arm, and while he managed to not groan, the pain is clearly felt by anyone seeing his facial expression.

the_brazenburn
2018-12-21, 08:50 AM
This thread will be taking a break until after New Year's. If you want to post on it, to declare a move or something, that's fine, but it is not necessary.

the_brazenburn
2019-01-02, 09:08 AM
The campaign is returning!

As Feather's levitation spell drops off, the werewolf flees after his comrades, leaving you in peace. You are free to continue along the trail, or to pursue if you so choose.

Any actions to declare?

stanleyindraven
2019-01-02, 10:16 AM
"Do we follow?" Gulaviar asks the others.

ahyangyi
2019-01-02, 02:05 PM
Feather, still looks in pain, and frankly ignorant about details of lycanthropy, answers, "I'd prefer if we treat our wounds first."

the_brazenburn
2019-01-04, 09:37 AM
After spending some time treating Feather's and Gulaviar's wounds, you set off after the werewolves. However, they appear to know the terrain well, and after a few hours, you lose the trail completely. Night is beginning to fall, and you are no longer within sight of the trail. What do you do?

stanleyindraven
2019-01-04, 02:02 PM
"We should find shelter." Gulaviar looks around.

Survival [roll0]

the_brazenburn
2019-01-04, 02:57 PM
"We should find shelter." Gulaviar looks around.

Survival [roll0]

You notice several fallen pine trees nearby that you could possibly arrange into a makeshift lean-to. They'll be heavy, but probably movable.

ahyangyi
2019-01-05, 02:13 PM
Feather joins Gulaviar's effort in finding a shelter.
[roll0]

Assuming that nothing new is found, Feather joins the effort to make the lean-to.

Feather also takes care of his hunting trap and moves it to an appropriate new position.

the_brazenburn
2019-01-05, 05:02 PM
Feather joins Gulaviar's effort in finding a shelter.
[roll0]

Assuming that nothing new is found, Feather joins the effort to make the lean-to.

Feather also takes care of his hunting trap and moves it to an appropriate new position.

Nothing new. Your lean-to is shambly, but should provide sufficient shelter against natural threats.

Unnatural ones, on the other hand, are unlikely to be troubled by your ramshackle defenses. As darkness falls around you, you hear howling coming from all directions, clear and loud. One of the howls is getting louder and louder by the moment, but eventually the shrieks of wolves die out, allowing you to sleep in peace.

When you awaken, however, you notice two odd phenomena. At the edge of your camp, with his foot clamped in Feather's hunting trap and his pack askew on the ground, is a dead werewolf. It is not immediately clear how it died, but you have little time to pay attention to it, because of the nausea all of you feel. It is faint and not immediately concerning, but certainly noticeable.

ahyangyi
2019-01-06, 01:18 AM
(Do we feel nausea after seeing the dead werewolf, or right after waking up?)

the_brazenburn
2019-01-06, 07:19 AM
(Do we feel nausea after seeing the dead werewolf, or right after waking up?)

You feel it the moment you rise from your bedrolls.

ahyangyi
2019-01-06, 02:47 PM
(Sounds that we are screwed! Did we contract lycanthropy?)

Feather runs away from the dead werewolf. Does that reduces the nausea feelings?

Either way, Feather tries to figure out what happens to himself.

Medicine [roll0] to diagnose.

the_brazenburn
2019-01-06, 03:20 PM
(Sounds that we are screwed! Did we contract lycanthropy?)

Feather runs away from the dead werewolf. Does that reduces the nausea feelings?

Either way, Feather tries to figure out what happens to himself.

Medicine [roll0] to diagnose.

You have no idea what has happened to you, and moving away from the werewolf does nothing to reduce the feelings of nausea. However, as you move and see the dead creature from a different angle, you notice a number of small grey objects spilling out of its pack. Do you investigate, or perform a different action?

ahyangyi
2019-01-07, 12:29 AM
Feather walks near to investigate about the metal objects.
[roll0]

stanleyindraven
2019-01-07, 08:22 AM
Gulaviar will look around the area for any source of poison or gases that could make nausea.

Survival [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Gaius Hermicus
2019-01-07, 01:12 PM
Hello, my players.

I was formerly known as Brazenburn, but I am having some problems IRL and had to switch accounts.

I will be retiring from the forums for a while, so this campaign will have to be on pause for some time. I will try to check in intermittently and keep it alive so that I can return to it when the time comes, and I would appreciate it if you guys helped me to stop the thread from dying.

Thank you all so much, I've really enjoyed playing this campaign with y'all.

ahyangyi
2019-01-08, 01:07 PM
Sorry to hear that!

I wish you will sort out your IRL problems and return here.

And thank you for this game!

Gaius Hermicus
2019-01-13, 10:05 PM
I think I have sorted out most of my IRL issues, and will be returning to the forums on a trial basis...

So let's see. Gulaviar was looking for poison gases, and Feather was investigating the grey objects. Okay, cool.

Gulaviar squints around, sniffing the air. Unfortunately, you detect no inordinate odors anywhere around, nor any other sign of strange gases.

Feather gets up to the dead werewolf, then stops short immediately as he spots what the objects flowing from its bag are. You recognize the small statuettes carved of crumbly grey stone as identical copies of the ones you found on the corpse in the mud.

(Mwahahaha :smallamused:)

ahyangyi
2019-01-16, 07:00 AM
"Run!" Feather shouts. After everyone are far enough from the things, Feather explains to them what he saw.

stanleyindraven
2019-01-16, 08:36 AM
"I think there may be more to this," Gulaviar responds after being told of the statuettes.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-01-16, 09:03 AM
Durnan pauses for a moment. Maybe the statuettes are a bait of some sort? They draw adventurers ripe for the transformation. He continues to think. Or maybe it's a form of wayfinder, or has some other significance to the wolves? He stares at the pouch queerly, as if he were not looking at it, but through it.

ahyangyi
2019-01-16, 12:18 PM
Still nauseated, and holding his breathe as if it can reduce the statuette's influence, Feather asks, "I am afraid that we are already cursed by these figures."

After about a minute's painful thinking, Feather adds, "If that's true, we'd better find out the source of problem quickly."

Feather decides to move on and avoid the dead werewolf like a plague.

The hunting trap, unfortunately, is not recovered.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-01-22, 08:56 PM
The campsite, complete with pile of statuettes and dead werewolf, is abandoned. Your party ventures further, not knowing whether you are moving toward the trail, or deeper into werewolf territory. Finally, however, just as the sun is beginning to set, you catch sight of a lit lantern. You have finally arrived at Tikoosue!

Any actions to declare?

ahyangyi
2019-01-23, 06:09 AM
Since the situation of Tikoosue is unclear, Feathre holds his bow in his hands while moving into the village. Carefully.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-01-23, 08:01 PM
As you pass through the muddy pathways in between the villagers' huts, a number of dirty children with long hair and staring eyes watch you fearfully from the shadows cast by campfires. Warriors eye you with apprehension and place their hands on their weapons, but you are unmolested as you approach the center of the village. You finally reach a small clearing with a bonfire burning at its center. A rack of sticks with a deerhide stretched across it sits haphazardly next to a wooden longhouse guarded by two braves holding spears. Across from the longhouse is an inn constructed in the Celtican style, with a battered leather sign hanging over its window. Red paint on the sign reads:

The Rotting Pumpkin
Proprietor Ralf Kenning.

stanleyindraven
2019-01-28, 10:04 AM
"Interesting, where to first," Gulaviar questions.

ahyangyi
2019-01-28, 12:13 PM
" 'The Rotting Pumpkin'? I question Ralf's taste for naming his inn. Anyway, we promised him help and let's go to find him first. "

Gaius Hermicus
2019-01-29, 08:55 PM
The door to the inn creaks dangerously as it opens, shedding dim torchlight onto the clearing where you stand. Inside are a few braves, chatting to each other and drinking from cups of a cloudy wine, but as they catch sight of you, they stop and stare at you with suspicion in their eyes. Behind the counter is a middle-aged Celtican man with a paunch and a red nose indicative of a love for the bottle. His arms sag, with the impression of a man who has lost a lot of weight very quickly. Looking closer, you notice that...

No. It couldn't be. Surely this fat, miserable old man couldn't be the Ralf Kenning you knew. That man was a great warrior, a member of the Champions' Guard, the most prestigious military order in the realm. But as you watch him, all doubt vanishes from your mind. Yes, somehow the once-great Ralf Kenning has brought himself down to this... wretch.

As you stare, Kenning shouts at you, slurring his words as if he is mildly drunk:

"What're you doin', lettin' all the cold air in? Close th' door or get out now!"

The huddled braves around the bar mutter assent.

ahyangyi
2019-01-30, 03:11 AM
Trying not to provoke the drunken man, Feather thinks it's probably useful to give the man an opportunity to clarify things.
"Ralf, you asked us for food. Tell us more about your hardship."

stanleyindraven
2019-01-30, 11:21 AM
Gulaviar pushes himself into the establishment and eyes the patrons.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-01-31, 09:07 PM
Ralf scowls. "Oh, it's you. I expected you sooner." He spits at the ground. "Well, you'd better come in then. Can I get you anything to eat?"

One of the tallest braves rises to his feet. His hand is clutching a flint dagger, but he doesn't seem to be threatening you immediately. "You're an elf, aren't you?" he says to Gulaviar. "We don't like your kind here." Ralf looks askance at him, then turns back to you and shrugs. "Don't mind Ahanu here. He's still angry about... well, I guess it isn't my place to explain."

Ahanu storms out of the inn, shoving Gulaviar as he goes. Three of the other patrons follow him into the night. Ralf slams the door behind him, and you notice the edges of a long scar cresting his chest and shoulder. He leads you to a table and brings you bowls of cornmeal. "Sorry it isn't much. This is the last of the food in the village."

ahyangyi
2019-02-01, 04:39 AM
(Are there anyone else in the Inn now? just Ralf and us?)

stanleyindraven
2019-02-01, 10:47 AM
Gulaviar scoffs, then sits.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-02-01, 11:34 AM
Durnan gently pushes the bowl back. "If this be the last o' yer supplies, I won't be eatin', thanks."

ahyangyi
2019-02-01, 03:32 PM
"Ralf, what happened to you? You didn't have that long scar in the last time we met."

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-01, 06:07 PM
Ralf takes Durnan's bowl. "Well then, I'll eat it myself." He then turns to Feather. "Aye, the scar's fresh. Got it fighting down in the Charnling a year or two ago. Some big guy with a spiky chain came at me. Cut me open from gut to gizzard, the bastard. Nearly killed me too, but I managed to get away. Well, there's no place in the Champion's Guard for a crippled, wounded old man, so I retired to Tikoosue and became the drunk, fat nothing you see before you. He spits again, then licks Durnan's bowl of cornmeal clean.

"Anyway. I'm not that important, am I? Did you bring any food? We're all out, and the little-uns are going hungry in the streets, and all them big-uns in the longhouse can talk about is elves, werewolves, and rock carving. Bastards."

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-04, 07:34 PM
A light rain begins to fall outside. Ralf storms to his feet, slams the door shut, and then returns to the bar.

"Any other business to take care of elsewhere? I much appreciate the food delivery, but that's hardly the only problem we've been having lately. If you aren't too busy, I'll bet the chief could use a bit of help. She's been having a bit of... well, it's not really my place to say."

He looks at Gulaviar. "Oh, and if I were you, I'd keep my head down, elf. Your kin aren't very popular in Tikoosue right now."

ahyangyi
2019-02-05, 09:51 AM
"I guess you are right." Feather fetches his, well, feathers, that he is no longer eligible to wear because he is an outcast now. "Guliviar, I believe one day they will admit they are wrong in treating us this way, but I guess we need to prove ourselves first."

Then Feather speaks to Ralf, "a talk with the chief certainly doesn't hurt. Would you like to introduce us to him?"

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-05, 10:02 PM
"I guess you are right." Feather fetches his, well, feathers, that he is no longer eligible to wear because he is an outcast now. "Guliviar, I believe one day they will admit they are wrong in treating us this way, but I guess we need to prove ourselves first."

Then Feather speaks to Ralf, "a talk with the chief certainly doesn't hurt. Would you like to introduce us to him?"

Ralf laughs without humor. "The chief's a woman, actually. You'll find her in the longhouse, but I'm afraid there's no love lst between us, especially since Ahanu started lurking around here with his cronies. You'd do better to visit her on your own, or ask the priestess for an introduction."

ahyangyi
2019-02-06, 12:04 PM
"Oops, sorry!" Feather apologize for his mistake.

"May I know where to find the priestess, then?!"

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-06, 09:19 PM
"She'll be in the shrine complex. Be warned, she's not very friendly to those who don't worship the same gods as her."

Ralf scowls and begins wiping glasses, giving a pointed glance at the door. The message is clear: he wants you to leave.

stanleyindraven
2019-02-07, 11:26 AM
Gulaviar sneers at Ralph's comments, then stands and readies himself to leave with his companions.

ahyangyi
2019-02-07, 12:13 PM
Feather shrugs, and then stands up, walks to the door. Then he thinks of something, and asks,
"At least you should let us know what's the priestess' god."

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-07, 07:03 PM
Feather shrugs, and then stands up, walks to the door. Then he thinks of something, and asks,
"At least you should let us know what's the priestess' god."

"She worships the Hawk," says Ralf wearily. "Look, I'm sorry to do this, but I really need to close up for the night, and well... Could you please be on your way? I'll be happy to talk tomorrow, if you have questions, but I really need you to leave for now. Sorry."

ahyangyi
2019-02-08, 01:17 AM
Feather steps outside, then turns back again, adding another question,
"Where should we sleep, if not in the inn, then?"

and he also uses that opportunity to carefully look over the interior of the inn, looking for anything suspicious looking. In particular, is there anything that looks like the statuette?

SunderedWorldDM
2019-02-08, 09:07 AM
Durnan shrugs. "It's no skin off my back. I can sleep anywhere. Maybe we find a building to lay out some sleeping bags behind?"

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-10, 09:33 PM
"Aye, that's possible. If you want 'em, though, the longhouse always has a few empty beds for travelers. Most like, the chief'll let you stay there... if you don't offend her somehow."

ahyangyi
2019-02-12, 12:54 AM
[roll0] Perception before leaving the inn.

"Fair enough. Let's look for the priestess then. Hopefully a priestess of the Hawk will be considerate enough for us." Feather finally leaves the inn. His hope is now on the priestess who is said to worship the Hawk, the benevolent bird deity.

Since Feather also worships the Hawk, hopefully the priestess will accept them.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-12, 08:27 PM
[roll0] Perception before leaving the inn.

"Fair enough. Let's look for the priestess then. Hopefully a priestess of the Hawk will be considerate enough for us." Feather finally leaves the inn. His hope is now on the priestess who is said to worship the Hawk, the benevolent bird deity.

Since Feather also worships the Hawk, hopefully the priestess will accept them.

Perception results: You notice nothing out of the ordinary, apart from half a dozen empty wine bottles stashed in a corner. Ralf has clearly been drinking rather heavily.

Stepping outside of the inn, you are greeted by the chilly night air and the smell of roasting meat. A group of small children has found the stash of food that you brought, and are cooking bits of goose over an open fire in the square. Next door to the longhouse is a small, somewhat decrepit shrine. A stuffed hawk hangs over the door, but the feathers have worn off on one side and its head hangs at an odd angle. It was clearly preserved by an inexperienced taxidermist.

ahyangyi
2019-02-13, 12:34 PM
"I'm not sure this shrine can win Hawk's favor.", Feather comments about the looks of the shrine. Then he sighs, not sure about whether himself has Hawk's favor, either.

Feather walks into the shrine.

stanleyindraven
2019-02-13, 01:54 PM
"No matter, we need to talk to the priestess," Gulaviar says as he heads toward the longhouse door.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-13, 09:06 PM
Point of clarification: Are you going to the same place, or splitting the party? The longhouse and shrines are not the same building.

ahyangyi
2019-02-14, 05:39 AM
I think we are all going to visit the shrine first, though stanleyindraven please confirm this.

stanleyindraven
2019-02-14, 03:39 PM
OOC: gulaviar would have looked where the party was headed, then broke off toward the longhouse, not that he is going in without them, just over that way.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-15, 05:40 PM
Okay, so here's what happens.

Feather steps through the drab doors and enters the shrine. Three altars are set up in a small building, with a handful of people performing some sort of prayer service. Presiding over the service is an old woman with a hawk feather in her hair, chanting a hymn of praise to the Hawk. Off to the side of the larger Hawk shrine are smaller shrines to the Elk and Shark.

Gulaviar walks into the longhouse, stepping past a drowsy-looking guard who puts up no resistance to his entry. A small hallway greets him, with a larger chamber at the other end. Seated in a pinewood chair in the larger room, and flanked by a pair of guards, is a youngish, very beautiful half-elf wearing an exquisite wampum belt. One of the guards commands you, "Who are you? Show some respect to the chief of Tikoosue!" The chief waves him aside. "No, I can handle him. Please, friend, how are you? What brings you to my town?"

ahyangyi
2019-02-16, 02:15 PM
Feather offers a prayer silently to Hawk while they are chanting the hymn.
Only after they finished chanting, Feather starts speaking.

"Greetings, your excellency, the priestess of Hawk.", Feather tries to apply a general honorific to the priestess that he does not know name yet, then introduces himself, "I am a ranger of Ongniaahraronon Tribe, Hawk clan, and a faithful of the almighty Hawk."

Feather then introduces their situation, and asks the priestess if she can help introducing them to the chief.

stanleyindraven
2019-02-18, 10:38 AM
"Forgive me, I am Gulaviar. I and my companions were tasked with bringing food supplies to your town. We now seek sleeping accomodations, as well as to see if you are in need of any additional help," Gulaviar bows as he approaches.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-02-18, 10:59 AM
Durnan quietly slips into the longhouse, following Gulaviar. He quietly bows to the chieftain, then takes a look at the surroundings to ascertain any possible hostility or interesting bits of town history.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-21, 08:33 PM
Feather offers a prayer silently to Hawk while they are chanting the hymn.
Only after they finished chanting, Feather starts speaking.

"Greetings, your excellency, the priestess of Hawk.", Feather tries to apply a general honorific to the priestess that he does not know name yet, then introduces himself, "I am a ranger of Ongniaahraronon Tribe, Hawk clan, and a faithful of the almighty Hawk."

Feather then introduces their situation, and asks the priestess if she can help introducing them to the chief.

The priestess bows respectfully. "So good to see a fellow follower of the Hawk! I would be most pleased to introduce you to the chief of our tribe, if that is your wish."

One of the other worshippers speaks up: "Which chief?"

"Forgive me, I am Gulaviar. I and my companions were tasked with bringing food supplies to your town. We now seek sleeping accomodations, as well as to see if you are in need of any additional help," Gulaviar bows as he approaches.

"Oh yes, Kenning mentioned that he had called some adventurers to bring supplies. Well, at least he can do something right these days. Where's this food located? We've been reduced to eating boiled leather and whatever plants we can scavenge without going too far from the village."

Blushing, the chief corrects herself. "I'm sorry, where are my manners? Welcome to Tikoosue. We would be pleased to have you stay here as long as you can, and we have far too many empty beds in the longhouse. You and your friends would be happy to stay here if you needed to. As far as additional aid, I do have a job for you; however it is of a sensitive nature. Could we perhaps meet here tomorrow morning with your entire group of heroes to discuss it? Some things should not be spoken of after dark.

Durnan quietly slips into the longhouse, following Gulaviar. He quietly bows to the chieftain, then takes a look at the surroundings to ascertain any possible hostility or interesting bits of town history.

Make an Investigation check.

Actually, make three.

ahyangyi
2019-02-22, 11:47 AM
"Are there multiple chiefs here?" Feather asks the natural question.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-22, 07:31 PM
"Are there multiple chiefs here?" Feather asks the natural question.

The priestess scowls. "There's only one true chief. Some misguided fools question her authority to rule, but they are weak in spirit and faith. Chief Sooleawa is the true leader of our village, and is beloved my the Hawk."

ahyangyi
2019-02-24, 01:10 PM
"Thanks for clarifying the situation. Could you do me a favor to introduce me to Chief Sooleawa?'

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-24, 08:31 PM
"Thanks for clarifying the situation. Could you do me a favor to introduce me to Chief Sooleawa?'

"Yes, of course. But please rest first. It is late, and we have many mats in the shrine. I shall introduce you in the morning."

ahyangyi
2019-02-25, 10:14 AM
"Thanks. Let me find other party members first though. They probably also need somewhere to sleep."

Feather says and tries to leave the shrine to find other party members.

stanleyindraven
2019-02-25, 10:24 AM
"Thank you for your hospitality. We will rest, then speak in the morning. The food is located in the cart outside. Thank you." Gulaviar bows then finds himself a cot.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-02-27, 08:25 PM
The night passes without other note. Your beds are functional, but not comfortable, and you sleep fitfully. When you wake, it is just after dawn, and the chief sits in a chair across the room from you, watching you carefully. Seeing you open your eyes, she flinches, startled, and then regains her composure. "Oh good, you are awake. I think we had better discuss the issues going on in the town. You see, many of the villagers do not respect my claim to the chieftainship of this village. They believe that I am unfit to hold office, given my... origin." She touches her slightly pointed ears, indicating her half-elvish nature. "To make matters worse, there is a hermit who lives outside of town. He must have had a name once, but it has been forgotten. We simply call him Walks-with-Statues. He makes stonework to sell, but lately his behavior has been... shall we say... erratic. He comes into town less and less, often leaving trails of little statues behind him. They are of a strange nature, and seem to be carved with symbols of bad luck. it is unnerving, but they have had no ill effects to our people. Lately, though, he has taken to flirting with me in public, and recently proposed marriage. I have no desire to follow through with it, but I fear I have no choice. Walks-with-Statues has promised the villagers that he will stop the werewolf attacks and secure my claim to the chieftainship, and they are insisting that I marry him."

ahyangyi
2019-03-01, 08:29 AM
"Chief Sooleawa, your words has caused me to suspect this Walks-with-Statues. Do you need us in assisting investigating this man?"

Gaius Hermicus
2019-03-04, 12:12 PM
"Chief Sooleawa, your words has caused me to suspect this Walks-with-Statues. Do you need us in assisting investigating this man?"

"Yes. I want you to go to his home outside of town, and spy on him to find out what he is doing. If possible, please find some way to get me out of this marriage I have been forced into. Good luck to all of you."

ahyangyi
2019-03-05, 12:08 PM
Feather goes out of the town, trying to find Walks-with-Statues' home. If he does, he takes a look from a far. What does that house look like?

Gaius Hermicus
2019-03-06, 08:52 PM
Feather goes out of the town, trying to find Walks-with-Statues' home. If he does, he takes a look from a far. What does that house look like?

After a long walk through the town, you emerge near the outskirts. The location of Walks-with-Statues' hut is well hidden from normal view by a stand of pine trees, which obscure it from the main village. The hut is ramshackle and even smaller than most of those that you have seen in Tikoosue, but is built on the side of a rocky outcropping which has a large crack in it, big enough for a person to squeeze into. The old hermit is nowhere in sight.

ahyangyi
2019-03-07, 11:36 AM
Feather sneaks near the door. Can he hear anything from within the hut (or cave)?

Gaius Hermicus
2019-03-09, 02:49 PM
Feather sneaks near the door. Can he hear anything from within the hut (or cave)?

Yes, there is a faint sound of chipping and cracking rock from within the cave.

ahyangyi
2019-03-12, 08:45 AM
"I hear sounds of someone carving stones." Feather says to other party members. "the guy seems busy carving the statuettes...."

Then, Feather knocks the door of the hut.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-03-12, 09:14 PM
"I hear sounds of someone carving stones." Feather says to other party members. "the guy seems busy carving the statuettes...."

Then, Feather knocks the door of the hut.

There is no answer from within. The door does not seem to be locked.

ahyangyi
2019-03-14, 09:58 AM
Feather walks inside, trying to make as little noise as possible...

(where are the other players, by the way? :S )

Gaius Hermicus
2019-03-14, 08:48 PM
Feather walks inside, trying to make as little noise as possible...

(where are the other players, by the way? :S )

Inside the hut are a collection of dirty clothes, a straw mattress, and a few broken chisels. It does not appear to be kept in good condition, but is definitely empty.

(I have no idea what happened to everybody else. Stanleyindraven, SunderedWorldDM, and Illven, are you guys still playing?)

SunderedWorldDM
2019-03-15, 04:42 PM
Durnan wants to investigate any interesting projects this figure was working on, looking about but trying not to disturb anything.

Investigation with Stonecunning: [roll0]

ahyangyi
2019-03-16, 02:00 PM
( Empty? Didn't we hear "chipping and cracking rock" before Feather entered? )

Gaius Hermicus
2019-03-19, 08:27 PM
( Empty? Didn't we hear "chipping and cracking rock" before Feather entered? )

Yes, but it was coming from the crack in the rock, not the hut.

Durnan wants to investigate any interesting projects this figure was working on, looking about but trying not to disturb anything.

Investigation with Stonecunning: [roll0]

Oh, there's not a single project inside the hut. Just broken tools and bits of rock that must have been rubble from failed sculptures in the past.

Illven
2019-03-20, 11:49 PM
Laura will also attempt to see what projects were being worked on.

Investigation [roll0]

ahyangyi
2019-03-24, 12:02 PM
Feather tries to estimate how long this site has been abandoned.

Investigation [roll0]

Gaius Hermicus
2019-03-29, 07:59 PM
Based on the Broken pieces of stone, it appears that Walks-with-statues has been attempting to make the same cursed statuettes that you encountered in the road to Tikoosue.

The hut has not been abandoned for long; the bed is still warm and there are fresh tracks outside of the hut.

ahyangyi
2019-04-05, 03:26 PM
Feather gathers team mates and starts following the tracks.

Illven
2019-04-05, 07:58 PM
Laura follows eagerly.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-04-10, 08:10 PM
They lead to the crack in the large rock, where the sounds of hammering and chipping rock are getting louder.

Illven
2019-04-11, 01:55 PM
Laura puts a finger to her lips in a hush gesture.

Let's get closer. She mouths.

ahyangyi
2019-04-11, 02:26 PM
Trying to stay silent, Feather nods to Laura, then sneaks towards the source of noise.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-04-15, 09:29 PM
Squeezing through the crack in the rock, you approach the sound of the noise. The cave opens into a fair-sized chamber carved of stone, with two tunnels running off of it in opposite directions. In the center of the room is a large pile of gold.

Illven
2019-04-16, 12:01 AM
Laura raises an eyebrow curious.

ahyangyi
2019-04-21, 02:39 PM
"I didn't expect this guy as so rich!" Feather exclaims. He then looks at the two tunnels.

(What can be seen in the two tunnels from the room with gold? How do the tunnels look like?)

Gaius Hermicus
2019-04-25, 07:29 PM
"I didn't expect this guy as so rich!" Feather exclaims. He then looks at the two tunnels.

(What can be seen in the two tunnels from the room with gold? How do the tunnels look like?)

Both of the tunnels are small, uneven cracks in the rock similar to the one you entered through. They work their way further into the caves, fading away into blackness.

(By the way, can somebody roll a Perception check?)

Illven
2019-04-26, 01:38 AM
Perception [roll0]

ahyangyi
2019-04-28, 02:52 PM
(Seems we need another perception check :P)
[roll0] Perception

EDIT: we are doomed!

Gaius Hermicus
2019-04-28, 08:08 PM
Blissfully unaware of your certain doom, you do not notice the tall, dark shadow stooping up behind you until it is too late. It stabs at Feather's head with a chisel, putting all of its height to good use as the wicked spike arcs down toward him.

[roll]1d4+3

(I'm ruling that since you are surprised, Dex doesn't count toward your AC).

ahyangyi
2019-04-29, 12:53 PM
(Feather's AC is 15, of which 4 comes from dexterity...)

Gaius Hermicus
2019-04-30, 08:06 PM
Can't get it to roll, so:

[roll0]

ahyangyi
2019-05-01, 01:42 PM
Is it time to roll initiative?

Init: [roll0]

Gaius Hermicus
2019-05-06, 08:06 PM
Is it time to roll initiative?

Init: [roll0]

Oh yeah, that should probably happen.

Roll for Walks-with-Statues: [roll0]

Ouch.

Illven
2019-05-07, 12:24 AM
Init time [roll0]

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-07, 09:59 AM
Whoops, it didn't like my roll for some reason. Sorry, I'll have to doublepost.

Gaius Hermicus
2019-05-07, 08:26 PM
Okay, looks like barring Durnan's roll, Feather will get to go first.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-07, 10:21 PM
[roll0] for my initiative.

ahyangyi
2019-05-13, 08:33 AM
Feather, ill-prepared for the back stab, almost instinctively takes a step backwards and uses Levitate. A gust of wind suddenly forms beneath Walks-with-Statue, attempting to blow him up.

(CON save, DC 14)

Gaius Hermicus
2019-05-18, 07:29 PM
Saving throw:

Flailing wildly, Walks-with-Statues is hurled violently into the air. He strikes the ceiling of the cavern, and hangs there, struggling with pain and fury.

Damage from ceiling: [roll]1d10+0

Gaius Hermicus
2019-05-18, 07:31 PM
Double-posting because the previous roll failed.

[roll0]