PDA

View Full Version : Population breakdown for non-core classes

wilphe
2018-12-10, 11:54 AM
There are rules for the population structure of a settlement using core classes

Did anyone ever come up with anything for how many Knights/Beguilers/Psions/Ninjae/etc there are?

If not how would you do it?

Maybe say

x% of Fighters or Paladins are Knights

y% of Rogues are Ninjax

z% of Bards or Wizards are Beguilers?

Troacctid
2018-12-10, 12:00 PM
That seems like a reasonably way to do it, although personally I'm skeptical of the usefulness of those breakdowns anyway.

Sian
2018-12-10, 12:25 PM

There are?

Anyone ever used it?

Telonius
2018-12-10, 12:42 PM
There are?

Anyone ever used it?

Yeah, the DMG has a formula for figuring it out, on pages 138-139. I've occasionally used it for larger cities.

wilphe
2018-12-10, 03:01 PM
Yeah it's in the SRD, and there a bunch of calculators that use it

http://www.d20srd.org/d20/demographics/

It leads to some interesting conclusions that not all GMs might want

Size
The town of Siskitoft covers anarea of approximately 20 acres, with a total population of1200 people. The population is mostly human (79%),with smaller numbers of halflings (9%), elves (5%), dwarves (3%), gnomes (2%), half-elves (1%) and half-orcs (1%).

Wealth

The town's gold piece limit is 800 gp. Anything, whether itbe mundane or magical, having a price under that limit is mostlikely available for purchase. The total amount of availablecoinage, or the total value of any given item of equipment for saleat any given time, is 48,000 gp.

And that place's highest level characters are:

Commoner 10

Fighter 8

Warrior 6

Cleric 5, Rogue 5, Commoner 5 x2

Fighter 4 x2, Monk 4, Expert 4, Wizard 4, Aristocrat 4

wilphe
2018-12-10, 03:05 PM
That seems like a reasonably way to do it, although personally I'm skeptical of the usefulness of those breakdowns anyway.

Well yes, but its interesting as RAW and RAI and the assumed setting, I think it's really a tool for generating stuff on the fly or if you are in hexcrawl mode

Maybe I will work on it

ericgrau
2018-12-10, 03:25 PM

Did anyone ever come up with anything for how many Knights/Beguilers/Psions/Ninjae/etc there are?

If not how would you do it?

Maybe say

x% of Fighters or Paladins are Knights

y% of Rogues are Ninjax

z% of Bards or Wizards are Beguilers?

Most NPCs aren't important enough for it to matter. As for which and how many non-core classes exist in the world, I think that should be strictly the DM's decision. What you really need to decide is which classes are subclasses of other classes. Then pick some random numbers and don't worry about it. Like 25% or 10% is probably fine. If your gaming group doesn't like many core classes, then I would likewise make the subclasses a high percentage of the overall, perhaps more than 50%.

And this only matters if the players meet major NPCs. Until then it's fine to say "There are 10 high level fighters in the town". And then later when it matters later say, "3 of those fighters are actually knights. Fighter was just a generic term."

weckar
2018-12-10, 05:11 PM
It is interesting how you would handle the concept classes such as incarnate and binder.