PDA

View Full Version : Titania Erza in Pathfinder

IronwolfXVI
2018-12-10, 01:26 PM
I'm looking to make an Erza Scarlet character from Fairy Tail in pathfinder. Specifically her heavens wheel armor. I'm thinking about using the Valkarie cleric 3rd party archetype and magic, probably spear of purity.

I mostly stick to martial characters so any metamagic feat ideas would be great.

This will be a 17th level character, assume 25 point buy. Probably human or Assimar.

Thanks for the help. I'd love to see your ideas!

Kayden Prynn
2018-12-10, 01:46 PM
If your DM is okay with it, the Armorist from Spheres of Power literally uses Erza as the example picture. http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/armorist

Arkain
2018-12-10, 05:29 PM
If you don't want to use SoP, there are a couple classes (and archetypes thereof) such as magus, paladin and warpriest, who can simply improve their armor, shield and/or weapon within certain limits, but I'd wager that this is probably not what you're aiming for.
Alternatively, there's also DPS' psionics. Psychic warriors (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior/) can use powers to create their weapons and armor on the spot, with the mind knight path being vaguely specialized in that kind of thing, though it's probably too basic for the kind of thing you want.
More specialized classes would be aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/) for armor related stuff and soulknife (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/) for weapons conjured up on the fly (fortunately, it isn't as awful in PF anymore). Combine those through metaforge (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/metaforge/) and you may get something you like. Entry would be possible at level 7, with 3 levels in each base class.

noob
2018-12-10, 05:39 PM
If you are using sop erza's ability to kill everything with swords is best simulated with the creation sphere and the split talent that allows to create as many objects as you want as long as it sums up to the correct maximum size and we conclude that it allows to make tons of swords rain on the opponents(in fact so many anything without appropriate dr probably dies)
If you start with Thaumaturge then chain in incanter wizard with the creation specialization you can get that ability very early.

IronwolfXVI
2018-12-10, 05:40 PM
I'll check out SoP. Almost anything is ok in our games. The exception being psyonics, which is sad because that sounds cool.

ElFi
2018-12-10, 05:44 PM
Seconding the suggestion of using the Armorist from Spheres of Power. It pretty much perfectly encapsulates Erza's shtick of having a unique armor set for any occasion, though perhaps with not quite as much variety as she does.

For her Heaven's Wheel armor, the armor itself is pretty simple- grab the Movement armorist trick and give one of your bound movement sets the flight enchantment. As for the swarms of blades that armor usually uses to fight, that's harder, but my vote is for the Armorist's Lingchi Warrior archetype (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/lingchi-warrior), which summons a hail of useable weapons that with enough investment (easily doable with your high starting level) can be converted into a tornado of death that follows you around as you move. That archetype doesn't have the armorist's usual trick of summoning unique armor on the fly, though, so it might not work well with Erza's usual shtick.

noob
2018-12-10, 05:49 PM
Seconding the suggestion of using the Armorist from Spheres of Power. It pretty much perfectly encapsulates Erza's shtick of having a unique armor set for any occasion, though perhaps with not quite as much variety as she does.

For her Heaven's Wheel armor, the armor itself is pretty simple- grab the Movement armorist trick and give one of your bound movement sets the flight enchantment. As for the swarms of blades that armor usually uses to fight, that's harder, but my vote is for the Armorist's Lingchi Warrior archetype (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/lingchi-warrior), which summons a hail of useable weapons that with enough investment (easily doable with your high starting level) can be converted into a tornado of death that follows you around as you move. That archetype doesn't have the armorist's usual trick of summoning unique armor on the fly, though, so it might not work well with Erza's usual shtick.

as I said you can take one level in incanter: mage(creation) then one level in thaumathurge then take levels in armorist and use the creation sphere to instantly murder your opponents with tons of swords.

ElFi
2018-12-10, 06:30 PM
as I said you can take one level in incanter: mage(creation) then one level in thaumathurge then take levels in armorist and use the creation sphere to instantly murder your opponents with tons of swords.

Mage is setting-specific (and therefore might not be freely available), locks you into a casting tradition that doesn't work well with Erza's fighting style or the Armorist in general, and doesn't really do all that much unless you keep taking levels in Incanter. The Master of Creation specialization's 3rd-level feature is helpful, but by that point you're seriously delaying bound equipment and armorist trick scaling (admittedly, this character is 17th level, but still).

Why Thaumaturge unless you're really trying to pump caster level? Creation already comes with built-in features that let you treat your caster level as your CL for the sphere (Creation Mastery, Master of Remaking). Knight of Willpower might be nice to have, though.

noob
2018-12-10, 06:51 PM
Mage is setting-specific (and therefore might not be freely available), locks you into a casting tradition that doesn't work well with Erza's fighting style or the Armorist in general, and doesn't really do all that much unless you keep taking levels in Incanter. The Master of Creation specialization's 3rd-level feature is helpful, but by that point you're seriously delaying bound equipment and armorist trick scaling (admittedly, this character is 17th level, but still).

Why Thaumaturge unless you're really trying to pump caster level? Creation already comes with built-in features that let you treat your caster level as your CL for the sphere (Creation Mastery, Master of Remaking). Knight of Willpower might be nice to have, though.
It is more take a single level in incanter specialized in creation(I did find the +1 cl is aviable without taking that variant) and a single level into thaumaturge(probably take the variant with con drain instead of action loss) and have CL 5 creation which allows you to basically kill everything within range.
Getting the ability to kill everything within range at level 2 is rather good and then you can go in armorist for the next levels.
If you want rains of swords at will then you will want.
Oh they now decided after hearing of the trick(after I posted it on their thread) to change the rules of physics.
Now you should know that a ship have the same volume as 16 greatswords.
It is entirely nonsensical and corresponds to the fact that rather than using more meaningful terms they decided to alter the rules of volume.
They could have instead changed a bit the terms but no they prefer to change the rules of geometry.
For now a cube of 64 meters of height width and length is in fact as big as 64 cubes of one meter of height, width and length each.
I guess it means it is possible to stack those cubes in order to get the big cube then cut that big cube in parts and get more cubes than you had at start and create an infinity of the material from which those cubes were built by repeating the process.
now at least we know how a craftsman can turn a gold ingot in 3 gold ingots.

ElFi
2018-12-10, 07:19 PM
It is more take a single level in incanter specialized in creation(I did find the +1 cl is aviable without taking that variant) and a single level into thaumaturge(probably take the variant with con drain instead of action loss) and have CL 5 creation which allows you to basically kill everything within range.
Getting the ability to kill everything within range at level 2 is rather good and then you can go in armorist for the next levels.
If you want rains of swords at will then you will want.
Oh they now decided after hearing of the trick(after I posted it on their thread) to change the rules of physics.
Now you should know that a ship have the same volume as 16 greatswords.
It is entirely nonsensical and corresponds to the fact that rather than using more meaningful terms they decided to alter the rules of volume.
They could have instead changed a bit the terms but no they prefer to change the rules of geometry.
For now a cube of 64 meters of height width and length is in fact as big as 64 cubes of one meter of height, width and length each.
I guess it means it is possible to stack those cubes in order to get the big cube then cut that big cube in parts and get more cubes than you had at start and create an infinity of the material from which those cubes were built by repeating the process.
now at least we know how a craftsman can turn a gold ingot in 3 gold ingots.

Crunching the math on that sounds fun! In another thread so that this one doesn't get derailed. And so the OP's GM doesn't toss books at him for pulling third-party cheese like that theorycraft reeks so heavily of. (And I think you're grossly misinterpreting the intentions of the Creation sphere on creating lots of items at once, but again, another thread).

I'd rather see how the OP takes to the default Armorist before we get into anything that requires deep knowledge of SoP optimization. First steps first.

Arkain
2018-12-10, 07:51 PM
I'll check out SoP. Almost anything is ok in our games. The exception being psyonics, which is sad because that sounds cool.

To be fair, all three classes including metaforge aren't manifesters in the traditional sense (i.e. no real powers to "cast"), so maybe you can convince your GM. Other than that I hope the armorist will work out for you.

IronwolfXVI
2018-12-10, 10:18 PM
Armorist is definitely third party, I'm not entirely sure how it works though which is weird because I'm no newbie to PF rules. Seems likes it's almost for a different system. Its not for PF2.0 is it?

IronwolfXVI
2018-12-10, 10:22 PM
Just so we are all aware, I'm not trying to make a character to requip armor and weapons. Just trying to focus on the heavens wheel armor. And the swords from above shtick.

Xaotiq1
2018-12-10, 11:22 PM
Decidedly not optimized; but you could use Sculpt Spell on Whirling Blade (Spell Compendium).

Calthropstu
2018-12-10, 11:50 PM
The Aegis is pretty much built for this.

Andreaz
2018-12-11, 05:18 AM
Armorist is definitely third party, I'm not entirely sure how it works though which is weird because I'm no newbie to PF rules. Seems likes it's almost for a different system. Its not for PF2.0 is it?

Spheres of Power is a little system all its own, like the occultists, the martial initiators, the psionics and others. Most of these are third party. Most of these are widely accepted too.
(that ban on psionics smells of a decade-old interpretation error...)

stack
2018-12-11, 08:07 AM

The armorist is a class from Spheres of Power. Spheres of Power is a third party product made by Drop-Dead Studios for use with Pathfinder (original/classic/1). It creates an alternative magic system to use alongside or replace the existing vancian slot and level system, giving at-will abilities and a resource pool for augmenting them, broken down into ‘spheres’ focused around a variety of themes, each sphere providing basic abilities that are expanded or altered by a talents that go with that sphere. For example, the warp sphere allows a character to teleport a limited distance, with talents that increases the range, allow you to target an enemy, or ignore line of sight for the teleport.

Stronger effects and some class abilities are fueled by spell points, a daily resource. The armorist is a 'low-caster', meaning it gains a caster level every other level, so has CL10 at class level 20. It gets 10 magic talents, plus the 2 bonus every sphere caster starts with. You use these talents to get spheres and talents in those spheres, allowing you to focus on pretty much anything you want, though as a low caster abilities that scale will be weaker for you than a build with a higher CL.

I am not familiar with the referenced character aside from the name coming up whenever people talk about the armorist, so I can't give much specific advice. I would pick a couple thematic spheres, then pick arsenal tricks (class features selected from a menu, like magus arcana, rogue tricks, etc.) and feats to suit your fighting style.

noob
2018-12-11, 11:07 AM
The armorist is a class from Spheres of Power. Spheres of Power is a third party product made by Drop-Dead Studios for use with Pathfinder (original/classic/1). It creates an alternative magic system to use alongside or replace the existing vancian slot and level system, giving at-will abilities and a resource pool for augmenting them, broken down into ‘spheres’ focused around a variety of themes, each sphere providing basic abilities that are expanded or altered by a talents that go with that sphere. For example, the warp sphere allows a character to teleport a limited distance, with talents that increases the range, allow you to target an enemy, or ignore line of sight for the teleport.

Stronger effects and some class abilities are fueled by spell points, a daily resource. The armorist is a 'low-caster', meaning it gains a caster level every other level, so has CL10 at class level 20. It gets 10 magic talents, plus the 2 bonus every sphere caster starts with. You use these talents to get spheres and talents in those spheres, allowing you to focus on pretty much anything you want, though as a low caster abilities that scale will be weaker for you than a build with a higher CL.

I am not familiar with the referenced character aside from the name coming up whenever people talk about the armorist, so I can't give much specific advice. I would pick a couple thematic spheres, then pick arsenal tricks (class features selected from a menu, like magus arcana, rogue tricks, etc.) and feats to suit your fighting style.
A short description of the character is that it is some sort of mage which can somehow make items it owns appear equipped instantly and which also throws many swords or shovels as if using the violent thrust option of telekinesis and fights in melee rather well and considers it an option most of the time(although its ability to fight well with swords might just come from the fact it is supposed to be higher level than most of the other characters).
A godless or refluffed cleric with access to telekinesis and some custom spells might fit the character well but clerics can be built to fit any character provided you can refluff the hour of spell preparation(or just refluff the time of rest + spell preparation as only more time of rest).

EldritchWeaver
2018-12-12, 11:58 AM
If you are using sop erza's ability to kill everything with swords is best simulated with the creation sphere and the split talent that allows to create as many objects as you want as long as it sums up to the correct maximum size and we conclude that it allows to make tons of swords rain on the opponents(in fact so many anything without appropriate dr probably dies)
If you start with Thaumaturge then chain in incanter wizard with the creation specialization you can get that ability very early.

I think the Lingchi Warrior (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/lingchi-warrior) Armorist archetype might be a closer match without going to full caster.