PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Question about Psychic Reformation

Melcar
2018-12-10, 02:08 PM
Hellow fellow scribes...

Questions here: Can I use Psychic Reformations to go back, on my level 20 characters, and give my self flaws at level 1?

I cant really determine if I can alter all the way back to essentially character creation and add stuff, or only change things acquired after. I think the argument could be made both ways. What is the consensus, if any here in this community?

Thanks!

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-10, 02:25 PM
...Maybe? It's somewhat unclear.

Psychic reformation says you can choose powers, skills, and feats, and flaws are none of those things. However, it also states you can undo "decisions of these sorts," so it's up to the DM as to whether flaws count as such.

Powerdork
2018-12-10, 03:59 PM
As a DM, I would certainly rule that, with flaws being anti-feats and thus decisions expressly related to feats, if you can go back to alter your 1st level feat, you can alter your flaw choices, just like I would allow you to alter your human bonus feat with it; it is a feat decision, even if it's from a source that is not the universal advancement scheme of 1 + 1 per 3 levels.

That said, the text, as written, only allows the adjustments of feats chosen when advancing from the previous level to the current level. Unless your table supposes that there's a pre-level 1 that everyone glosses over, this caps out the eligible feats to those gained at 2nd level and above.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-10, 08:10 PM
As a DM, I would certainly rule that, with flaws being anti-feats and thus decisions expressly related to feats, if you can go back to alter your 1st level feat, you can alter your flaw choices, just like I would allow you to alter your human bonus feat with it; it is a feat decision, even if it's from a source that is not the universal advancement scheme of 1 + 1 per 3 levels.

That said, the text, as written, only allows the adjustments of feats chosen when advancing from the previous level to the current level. Unless your table supposes that there's a pre-level 1 that everyone glosses over, this caps out the eligible feats to those gained at 2nd level and above.The XP augmentation option grants you the ability to change decisions made at earlier levels.

Powerdork
2018-12-10, 10:09 PM
The XP augmentation option grants you the ability to change decisions made at earlier levels.

Okay, but then you get all the way back to level 1, for which (as I was angling at) there is no previous level to advance from.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-10, 10:17 PM
Okay, but then you get all the way back to level 1, for which (as I was angling at) there is no previous level to advance from.You still made decisions regarding such things at level 1. And there are rules for level 0 characters...I believe in 3.0? But since they weren't updated, you can still use them in 3.5.

Melcar
2018-12-11, 05:07 PM
Okay, but then you get all the way back to level 1, for which (as I was angling at) there is no previous level to advance from.

Not sure I get this... Would my choices here not just be previous to level 3... 20? I'm level 20 now, so any choices I have made... such as whether or not to choose a feat at level 1, would be choices made at previous levels... We started at level 1, so there were no previous level... again I'm not sure I understand this.

You still made decisions regarding such things at level 1. And there are rules for level 0 characters...I believe in 3.0? But since they weren't updated, you can still use them in 3.5.

Rules for level 0? Never actually heard this, but we started at level 1... I'm not sure what level 0 is about.

unseenmage
2018-12-12, 10:52 PM
Apprentice levels are in the 3.0 DMG IIRC. Though they're more half levels as I vaguely recall.

Melcar
2018-12-17, 06:35 PM
Ok... So, after reading everything again, I kind of come to the same conclusion.

As I read the rules, you can go back and change choices made at earlier levels when it comes to skills and feats and that sort. Flaws, I would argue is that sort, since skills and feats and sorts obviously is not an exhaustive list. Therefore, I would argue that attaining a flaw at level 1 is doable.

However, it could be argued that a flaw from an in-game perspective is not a choice but part of your character genes... and thus not something that can be manipulated from an in-game perspective. Like: "I want bad eyesight, because that will allow me to react faster (Gain improved initiative)"... that really doesn't make much sense. But, its magic so once again it could be argued that its indeed doable. And it would seem by RAW its legal too...

So, that's were I end up... Any further comments are very welcome!

Crake
2018-12-17, 09:35 PM
As a DM I would rule no, you cannot repick flaws with psychic reformation. You could repick the feats you got from the flaws, but not the flaws themselves.