PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Archetypes-- Mutation Warrior and Bladebound

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-10, 02:32 PM
Mutation Warrior
While most fighters rely on physical fitness and rigorous training to achieve martial superiority, a few prefer to create and imbibe dangerous concoctions that mutate them into fearsome creatures.

Mutagen: At 3rd level, you learn how to create a powerful potion that heightens your physical power at the cost of your mind. During a short rest, you may brew one dose of mutagen, which remains viable for 24 hours, or until you attempt to brew a new dose. Your mutagen only works for you.

As an action, you may drink your mutagen, gaining its benefits for 1 hour. Mutagens may have one of three effects, chosen at the time you brew them:

Bulk: You deal +2 damage with Strength-based weapon attacks and have advantage on Strength checks and saves, but disadvantage on Intelligence checks and saves. Until you take a long rest or drink another Mutagen, you count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift, and you may shove targets 10ft instead of 5ft.
Endurance: Your current and maximum hit points increase by 1 point per Fighter level, and you have advantage on Constitution checks and saves, but disadvantage on Charisma checks and saves. Until you take a long rest or drink another Mutagen, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
Speed: You deal +2 damage with Dex-based weapon attacks and have advantage on Dexterity checks and saves, but disadvantage on Wisdom checks and saves. Until you take a long rest or drink another Mutagen, you may Dash as a bonus action.

Brew Potion: Beginning at 3rd level, you may brew one Least Potion during a short rest. These potions either function as described in the Dungeon Master's Guide, or as though casting the indicated spell, from a first level spell slot, targeting only the creature drinking the potion. If the spell requires concentration, the creature drinking the potion must provide it.

Potions created this way last for 24 hours, or until you attempt to brew potions again.

Beginning at 7th level, you may craft Lesser Potions, and all your potions are cast from a 2nd level slot. At 13th level, you may craft Greater Potions and cast from a 3rd level slot; and at 19th, you may craft Grand Potions and cast from a 4th level slot.

Rapid Swig: Beginning at 7th level, you may drink a potion or mutagen as a bonus action.

Greater Mutagen: Beginning at 10th level, the benefits of your mutagen increase. Bulk and Speed mutagens grant a +4 bonus to their respective damage types, and Endurance Mutagens increase your current and maxmium hit points by 2 points per Fighter level.

Double Dose: Beginning at 15th level, you may brew one additional potion or mutagen during a short rest, for a total of three doses of alchemical magic.

Grand Mutagen: Beginning at 18th level, your mutagens no longer have negative side effects.

Least

Bless
Comprehend Languages
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
False Life
Heroism
Longstrider
Mage Armor
Perfume of Bewitching (XGtE)
Potion of Climbing
Potion of Healing
Protection from Evil and Good
Shield of Faith
Speak with Animals

Lesser

Aid
Alter Self
Barkskin
Blur
Darkvision
Detect Thoughts
Dragon’s Breath
Enhance Ability
Enlarge/Reduce
Invisibility
Lesser Restoration
Oil of Slipperiness
Pass Without Trace
Philter of Love
Potion of Animal Friendship
Potion of Fire Breath
Potion of Greater Healing
Potion of Growth
Potion of Poison
Potion of Resistance
Potion of Water Breathing
Protection from Poison
See Invisibility
Water Walk

Greater Potions

Blink
Elixer of Health
Fly
Gaseous Form
Haste
Nondetection
Oil of Etherealness
Potion of Clairvoyance
Potion of Diminution
Potion of Heroism
Potion of Hill Giant Strength
Potion of Invulnerability
Potion of Mind Reading
Potion of Superior Healing
Tongues
Vamperic Touch
Water Breathing

Grand

Fire Shield
Freedom of Movement
Greater Invisibility
Oil of Sharpness
Polymorph
Potion of Fire Giant Strength
Potion of Speed
Potion of Supreme Healing
Potion of Vitality
Stoneskin

----------------------

Bladebound
King Arthur and Excalibur. Elric of Melniboné and Stormbringer. There have been many warriors throughout the ages famous for wielding legendary weapons. Now you, too, are lucky enough to be among them.

Signature Weapon: Beginning at 3rd level, you conduct an eight-hour ceremony to designate one weapon as your Signature Weapon. You may only have one Signature Weapon at a time. If you conduct the ritual a second time, you may designate a different weapon--the magic leaves the original item and settles in the new one.

Once designated, your Signature Weapon becomes an unbreakable magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls, and cannot be removed from your grip unless you wish it--even in unconsciousness, it will not leave your hand. If you are separated for whatever reason, your Signature Weapon will somehow find its way back to you by the end of your next short rest. These bonuses stack with any existing magic properties your Signature Weapon might have possessed.

Spirit in the Steel: Beginning at 3rd level, a subtle intelligence begins to stir in your Signature Weapon. While not fully sentient yet, the weapon can hear and remember, and communicate its emotions to you telepathically. While the weapon is within your possession, it grants you advantage on Insight checks and on checks made to recall things you have heard in the weapon's presence.

If you replace your Signature Weapon, the intelligence transfers to the new weapon.

Awaken the Steel: Beginning at 7th level, your weapon awakens to full sentience. It has an Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma score of 6, blindsense to a range of 30ft, and it can communicate with you telepathically. While within your possession, it also grants you advantage on Initiative rolls and Perception checks.

Spirit of the Blade: Beginning at 10th level, your signature weapon's bonus to attack and damage increases to +2. In addition, at the end of any creature's turn, the weapon may use your reaction to cast one of the following spells on you, as though from a second level spell slot:

Aid
Cure Wounds
Lesser Restoration

Because your weapon is a separate intelligence, it can cast these spells regardless of your status, as long as you're still alive--it can act to heal you while you're unconscious, or cure you of your paralysis. Once it has cast a spell, it cannot do so again until you have completed a short or long rest.

Potent Spirit: Beginning at 15th level, your weapon's mental ability scores increase to 12, and it gains proficiency in two Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma-based skills. It can communicate telepathically with any creature within 60ft, and its blindsense range increases to 60ft.

In addition, the spells it may cast on you count as being cast from a third level spell slot.

Weapon of Legend: Beginning at 18th level, your weapon's bonus to attack and damage increases to +3, its mental ability scores increase to 15, and the range of its telepathy and blindsense increase to 120ft.

In addition, at the end of any creature's turn, the weapon may use your reaction to cast Greater Restoration or Heal on you, as though from a fifth level spell slot. It may do so even if you are incapacitated. Once it has done so, it may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.

cesius
2018-12-10, 07:38 PM
I like both of these in terms of description and feel. The Bladebound is well put together, and the only question I have is in regard to the spellcasting.

Mutation Warrior
Spirit of the Blade: Beginning at 10th level, your signature weapon's bonus to attack and damage increases to +2. In addition, it may use its reaction to cast one of the following spells on you, as though from a second level spell slot:

Cure Wounds
Enhance Ability
Lesser Restoration

Once it has done so, it cannot do so again until you have completed a short or long rest.
*SNIP*
In addition, it may use its reaction to cast Greater Restoration or Heal on you, as though from a fifth level spell slot. Once it has done so, it may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.

It seems pretty straightforward that Cure Wounds could trigger on taking damage and Lesser Restoration could trigger on becoming diseased, blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned (and similar for Greater Restoration and Heal). What would be triggering the reaction for casting Enhance Ability? Its sentience means it could be an NPC (unless your intent is to keep these features under player control?) so it may be simpler to make these actions it can perform on your initiative. Likewise, because the weapon is the caster the concentration is on the weapon?

I like that Bladebound is self-contained and doesn't require the another source book. That's my main critique for Mutation Warrior; the reference to the potions in the DMG. However, that may be a bit of a nitpick because it's not too different from having a spell list spread across two books (e.g. PHB and XGtE). Maybe because it's kind of a loop: read DMG for potion then PHB for spell that potion gets you? The other critique is less of a critique and more a question to you regarding pacing and options. Most of the class's lifespan has a single "hour of power" for the mutagen and maybe a second one depending on the potion. Would you consider lowering duration and increasing the number of potions one can prepare or is that contrary to what you consider important to the class?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-11, 11:21 AM
I like both of these in terms of description and feel. The Bladebound is well put together, and the only question I have is in regard to the spellcasting.

It seems pretty straightforward that Cure Wounds could trigger on taking damage and Lesser Restoration could trigger on becoming diseased, blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned (and similar for Greater Restoration and Heal). What would be triggering the reaction for casting Enhance Ability? Its sentience means it could be an NPC (unless your intent is to keep these features under player control?) so it may be simpler to make these actions it can perform on your initiative. Likewise, because the weapon is the caster the concentration is on the weapon?
Hmm, you're right. I'll take a whack at cleaning up the language.

I like that Bladebound is self-contained and doesn't require the another source book. That's my main critique for Mutation Warrior; the reference to the potions in the DMG. However, that may be a bit of a nitpick because it's not too different from having a spell list spread across two books (e.g. PHB and XGtE). Maybe because it's kind of a loop: read DMG for potion then PHB for spell that potion gets you?
I mean, you also get a number of spells that don't require any reference to the PHB. The potions were in there more for completeness' sake than anything else--I can take them out.

The other critique is less of a critique and more a question to you regarding pacing and options. Most of the class's lifespan has a single "hour of power" for the mutagen and maybe a second one depending on the potion. Would you consider lowering duration and increasing the number of potions one can prepare or is that contrary to what you consider important to the class?
The casting is based on Pact Magic, with your Mutagen being one of your two spells/short rest. Given the duration of the Mutagen, it shouldn't be unreasonable to get two encounters out of it...

JeenLeen
2018-12-11, 11:43 AM
I recommend saying that Signature Weapon only works on a mundane weapon. That way you can't have the risk (?) of stacking it with an already +1 or +2 sword or Flaming Sword or something.

Also, a question on who is acting in-universe: when the sword uses the PC's reaction to cast the spell, is it the sword choosing to cast the spell or the PC choosing to have the sword cast the spell?
Presumably the DM lets the player control its sentient class ability sword, so this would almost never be an issue. But I could see it mattering when under the effect of compulsions.

Once designated, your Signature Weapon becomes an unbreakable magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls

Hmm... taken very literally, this line could be taken to mean that making it a Signature Weapon overrides any magic already in it. If so, that would make my above point null.
It would also be a neat ability that is both insanely powerful and a nigh-useless ribbon in that it means you could make a Holy Avenger (or equivalently powerful weapon) into a 'normal' +1 sword.

Also, although it goes very against the spirit of the class, I can see allowing them to re-do the 8 hour ritual to make something else the Signature Weapon. Not just in case it is somehow broken or lost despite those being stated as impossible, but in case a player changes their mind. (I've started playing something in a system plenty of times only to find out another weapon is more fun.)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-11, 09:53 PM
I recommend saying that Signature Weapon only works on a mundane weapon. That way you can't have the risk (?) of stacking it with an already +1 or +2 sword or Flaming Sword or something.
No more than a magic weapon already tips game balance, I don't think. Those +1s are the only offensive boost the subclass gives; it's their version of Improved Critical.

Also, a question on who is acting in-universe: when the sword uses the PC's reaction to cast the spell, is it the sword choosing to cast the spell or the PC choosing to have the sword cast the spell?
Presumably the DM lets the player control its sentient class ability sword, so this would almost never be an issue. But I could see it mattering when under the effect of compulsions.
I'll add a note.

Hmm... taken very literally, this line could be taken to mean that making it a Signature Weapon overrides any magic already in it. If so, that would make my above point null.
It would also be a neat ability that is both insanely powerful and a nigh-useless ribbon in that it means you could make a Holy Avenger (or equivalently powerful weapon) into a 'normal' +1 sword.
Whoops, not intended.

Also, although it goes very against the spirit of the class, I can see allowing them to re-do the 8 hour ritual to make something else the Signature Weapon. Not just in case it is somehow broken or lost despite those being stated as impossible, but in case a player changes their mind. (I've started playing something in a system plenty of times only to find out another weapon is more fun.)
Whoops; that was intended.

Any thoughts on the Mutation Warrior?

JeenLeen
2018-12-12, 02:20 PM
Mutation Warrior seems pretty good. I'd have to look over the spell list more than I'd like to get a really good feel for it, but it seems okay similar to a warlock's short rest mechanic. I really like that you can choose from your Potions each rest and it's not a 'Potions Known' thing.

One nitpick
Adding emphasis to the below

Double Dose: Beginning at 15th level, you may brew one additional potion or dose of mutagen during a short rest.

From the description of Mutagen and Brew Potion, it seems that you can brew up to 1 of each during a short rest. For example, if you start a short rest with 0 mutagens and 0 potions, you can make 1 potion and 1 mutagen.

Upon reaching level 15, is the intention that you can brew so that you have 2 potions and 2 mutagens, or is it that you have 1/1 and then an extra of your choice?

I get the feeling that 2 of each is the intention, but just nitpicking on rules clarity.

One recommendation

As a caster-ish fighter, it seems kinda boring that it'll be out of features once the mutagen and potion are out. Sure, maybe you can short rest after the hour expires, but no promises. I guess that's not dissimilar to Blademaster, but they seem to get more use of their maneuvers (though maybe I'm forgetting how many uses they get per rest.) Maybe start at 2 mutagens/rest, but only 1 can be active at a time (taking a second one cancels out the first... or, probably better, results in the second one having no effect. Otherwise, they can use their 2nd mutagen to avoid the bad effects if the bad effects turn out bad at that moment.)
Or scale it similar to the number of Rages a barbarian gets?

I think allowing more mutagens but not allowing more potions would be fair balance. That way Eldritch Knight stays the truer caster: this gets (at high level) 2 potions/day but from their entire spell list, while EK gets more but from spells known.

OR you could do something like a Permanent Mutation that basically gives them use of one cantrip as a permanent mutation to their person. Most cantrips could be reflavored as something shooting from the person (spit acid, tiny flames emit, etc.) or telekinesis via a mutation that modifies the brain (Mage Hand), or, well, just magically altering them so they can use a cantrip. Or you could restrict the cantrip list to what you think is thematically (and power-wise) appropriate. Of course, Eldritch Blast should not be allowed. And I could see disallowing the general utility ones like Prestidigitation, Druidcraft, etc. I reckon the 'good for fighter' cantrips like Booming Blade should be disallowed, but I haven't looked beyond the PHB so I don't really know those spells except what I've read here on the forum.
And adding a combat cantrip on top of the rest isn't great, since a fighter should already have decent damage, so allowing them a combat cantrip seems uncalled for. Maybe limit it to more utility cantrips or really weak but potentially flavorful combat ones?

EDIT: back to Bladebound

It may do so even if you are incapacitated; however, if you are under the effects of a compulsion, it can choose to withhold its aid. Once it has done so, it cannot do so again until you have completed a short or long rest.

I was actually thinking of a compulsion where the PC might be forced to say "do not cast" but the player (and thus the sword) wants to. But I was thinking more of a casting that might remove a status ailment than what those do.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-12, 02:31 PM
Mutation Warrior seems pretty good. I'd have to look over the spell list more than I'd like to get a really good feel for it, but it seems okay similar to a warlock's short rest mechanic. I really like that you can choose from your Potions each rest and it's not a 'Potions Known' thing.
Yeah, spells known is no fun.

From the description of Mutagen and Brew Potion, it seems that you can brew up to 1 of each during a short rest. For example, if you start a short rest with 0 mutagens and 0 potions, you can make 1 potion and 1 mutagen.

Upon reaching level 15, is the intention that you can brew so that you have 2 potions and 2 mutagens, or is it that you have 1/1 and then an extra of your choice?

I get the feeling that 2 of each is the intention, but just nitpicking on rules clarity.
You're always supposed to be able to make one of each during a short rest; Double Dose is supposed to add one extra of your choice, like getting another spell slot.

One recommendation

As a caster-ish fighter, it seems kinda boring that it'll be out of features once the mutagen and potion are out.
Hmm, yeah, I can see the concern. I'm not wildly enthusiastic about a cantrip-like mechanic...I included one when I made an Alchemist subclass for my Artificer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?573870-Artificer-Base-Class-Grod_the_giant-edition&p=23507826#post23507826), but it doesn't feel quite appropriate here... maybe some sort of ongoing mutation that lasts until they drink a second dose?

EDIT: back to Bladebound
I was actually thinking of a compulsion where the PC might be forced to say "do not cast" but the player (and thus the sword) wants to. But I was thinking more of a casting that might remove a status ailment than what those do.[/QUOTE]
Ah, gotcha.