PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder New to D&D, want to build a basic character. Help?

KnownParadox
2018-12-10, 03:53 PM
Sup.

As I said in the title, I’m new and want build a basic character, some sort of barbarian, big boisterous bruiser, like a big, fun loving, bloodthirsty, puppy, think F/Zero Iskandre, or MCU Thor.

Not sure if this is the correct section for this.

I just need help with the stat sheet, don’t really understand, maybe I could get a basic overview with instructions on it?

Basic Pathfinder.

Please be gentle. ;)

Florian
2018-12-10, 04:26 PM
Now MCU Thor and "Barbarian" don't necessary fit on the same page, because the cross differency in power level and abilities. Clarify a bit what it actually is that you want.

Edit: To explain that a little bit, a lot of things in D&D/PF are only ever covered by magic and spells. A lot of the thing that a character like Thor does can only be covered when going into full spellcasting mode, which is quite at odds with something like the Barbarian class.

KnownParadox
2018-12-10, 04:51 PM
Now MCU Thor and "Barbarian" don't necessary fit on the same page, because the cross differency in power level and abilities. Clarify a bit what it actually is that you want.

Edit: To explain that a little bit, a lot of things in D&D/PF are only ever covered by magic and spells. A lot of the thing that a character like Thor does can only be covered when going into full spellcasting mode, which is quite at odds with something like the Barbarian class.By MCU Thor I meant personality. Big, loud, enjoyable, sorry if I was clear.

Just need help with the technical side of things. Just need an explanation on that, maybe with pictures, according to several quizzes I’m a visual learner.

Geddy2112
2018-12-10, 04:59 PM
First off, welcome! If you are playing pathfinder, you should read getting started (http://legacy.aonprd.com/coreRulebook/gettingStarted.html), this goes over the basics of how to build a character.

If you want a barbarian as a class, then you would pick barbarian. However, as a personality and archetype(not the archetypes of pathfinder classes, the trope) you can play big boistrious bruiser as many classes. MCU Thor would be more cleric mechanically, while Iskandre would probably be a brawler(from what I could find with a google search and a quick skim)

There are a ton of guides online to each class and general good builds. Read the getting started and get the basic character built, and then you can post your build and any further questions. For a barbarian, the rough and dirty is high strength and constitution, wielding a two handed weapon and power attack as your first level feat.

Florian
2018-12-11, 12:44 AM
By MCU Thor I meant personality. Big, loud, enjoyable, sorry if I was clear.

Geddy already linked the "Getting Started" section. Here is a broad list of class guides to help you along further: http://zenithgames.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-comprehensive-pathfinder-guides.html

I´d say, start by looking at the Skald and Warpriest, they fit the bill and are a good starting point to getting into Pathfinder.

Firest Kathon
2018-12-11, 07:51 AM
Class-wise I would suggest an Unchained Barbarian (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/barbarian-unchained/) or a Bloodrager (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/) (Barbarian with a bit of magic).

The getting started guide is a good start, but I would recommend (assuming you are going to play in a group) to sit with a more experienced player to build the character together. Pathfinder character creation can be tricky due to the many options available and the sometimes tricky interactions.

In case you do not have someone to sit with, here is a quick rundown of creating a Bloodrager. The focus will not be on maximum power, but on creating a feasible character with several options during play.

I'm following the Getting Started Guide linked above.

Step 1—Determine Ability Scores: The main options here are rolling dice (e.g. 4d6 drop lowest) for ability scores, or using point-buy. Here is a set of ability scores for 20-point buy:

Ability
Score
Point Cost
Modifier
Why?

STR
+2
Needed for your melee attach

DEX
+2
Defense and ranged attacks

CON
+1
Hit Points

INT
+0
Skills. You could drop this score to 8 to raise CON to 14 (for more hit points) or INT to 12 (for more skills).

WIS
+1
Awareness and mental defense

CHA
+2
Spellcasting and social skills

Step 2—Pick Your Race: We will pick Human (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/human/) for simplicity. This will give us a +2 on one of our ability scores, which raises our Strength to 16 for a +3 bonus.

Step 3—Pick Your Class: Bloodrager (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/). A barbarian with limited spellcasting ability, this should allow you to try out several things with your character to find out what you like in the system.

A bloodrager must select a bloodline (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/#TOC-Bloodline), which is from where they inherit their powers. You can select any which you like thematically, for now I will pick the elemental [air] (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/bloodrager-bloodlines/paizo-bloodrager-bloodlines/elemental/) bloodline (which will give you the ability to fly at 8th level).

Every character also selects a favored class. For each level they take in this class, they get a favored class bonus, either +1 hp or +1 skill rank (chosen at each level). Certain class/race combination get extra options. We choose +1 hp for our first level in bloodrager for better survivability at low levels.

Step 4—Pick Skills and Select Feats:

Skill points are determined by your class and your INT score. The bloodrager gives 4 skill points per level, INT 10 will give 0 extra points (INT 12 would give you 1 extra skill point per level). As a human, you get 1 extra skill point per level for a total of 5 per level.
We will spend our skill points on Diplomacy, Perception, Survival, Intimidate and Knowledge (arcana).
The final bonus for these skills is ranks (= spent points) + attribute modifier (each skill has an associated attribute) + class skill bonus (each class has a set of skills which are designated as class skills, if you have at least one rank in this skill you get a +3 bonus).

Skill
Attribute
Class skill
Ranks
Attribute modifier
Class skill bonus
Final bonus

Diplomacy
CHA
No
+2

+3

Intimidate
CHA
Yes
+2
+3
+6

Knowledge (arcana)
INT
Yes
+0
+3
+4

Perception
WIS
Yes
+1
+3
+5

Survival
WIS
Yes
+1
+3
+5

Feats are a kind of special ability your character has learned. You get one feat at each uneven level (1, 3, 5, 7, ...), plus one bonus feat for being a human. Some classes give bonus feats at certain levels, e.g. the bloodrager gives Eschew Materials (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/eschew-materials-final) at 4th level.
You get two feats, which will be:

Power Attack (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/power-attack-combat-final/), this lets you make a powerful swing which is less accurate but gives a damage bonus.
Dodge (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dodge-combat-final/), which gives you extra defense.

Traits are an optional rule, which in my experience is used at many tables, so we will also use it here. If used, each character gets two traits, which will be

Reactionary (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/combat-traits/reactionary/), which lets you react faster in battle
Ease of Faith (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/faith-traits/ease-of-faith/), which gives you a bonus on the diplomacy skill. It also makes diplomacy a class skill, which gives you the extra +3 bonus on that skill.

Step 5—Buy Equipment:
A bloodrager starts the game with an average of 105 gold pieces, which we will spend on:

Hide Armor (15 gp)
Battleaxe (10 gp), a one-handed melee weapon
Greatsword (50gp), a two-handed melee weapon
Shortbow (30gp), a ranged weapon

Once you complete your first adventures and gaine some money, you can invest in a better armor (chainmail [200gp] or breastplate [150gp]) and a better ranged weapon (composite longbow [+3 str, 400gp]). Then later get masterwork weapons (+300 gp), and even later magic weapons (+2000 gp or more). Basic armor and weapons can also often be found when defeating humanoid enemies. If you need more money when starting, replace the greatsword with a greatclub (5 gp).

Step 6—Finishing Details:

Finally you have to calculate some derived attributes:

hit points: The bloodrager has a hit dice of d10, meaning you get 10 hit points at first level and roll a d10 for each new level you get (or get +6 hit points if using average values). You get +1 hit point from your constitution score and +1 from the favored class bonus, for a total of 12 hp.
armor class: The base AC is 10. Your hide armor has and armor bonus of +4. Your dexterity bonus gives you an additional +2, and the Dodge feat +1, for a total of AC 17 (meaning an opponents attack roll must be 17 or higher to hit you). If you are surprised (e.g. attacked by a hidden opponent) your are flatfooted and get only your armor bonus for a flat-footed AC 14. Against certain (often magic) attacks armor is not effective, giving you a touch AC 13.
saving throws: Saving throws are bonus from class + attribute modifier: Fortitude (CON): +2 +1 = +3, Reflex (DEX): +0 +2 = +2, Will (WIS): +0 +1 = +1.
initiative: Initiative is based your DEX modifier (+2). The reactionary trait gives an extra bonus of +2 for a total initiative modifer: +4.
attacks

Attacks are your Base Attack Bonus (+1 from bloodrager) plus your STR (melee) or DEX (ranged) modifier. That gives you +4 for melee attacks and +3 for ranged attacks. The damage is based on the weapon plus your strength modifier (melee attacks only, 1.5 times strength modifier for two-handed weapons). You can use Power Attack for extra damage.

Battleaxe: +4 attack, 1d8+3 damage, Power Attack: +3 attack, 1d8+5 damage
Greatsword: +4 attack, 2d6+4 damage Power Attack: +3 attack, 2d6+7 damage.
Shortbow: +3 attack, 1d6 damage

For 5 rounds per day, you can be in a "bloodrage". While raging, you gain more STR and CON (+4 each) but are reckless (-2 AC). While raging, your stats will be as follows:

AC: 15
hp: 14
Battleaxe: +6 attack, 1d8+5 damage, Power Attack: +5 attack, 1d8+7 damage
Greatsword: +6 attack, 2d6+7 damage Power Attack: +35attack, 2d6+10 damage.
Shortbow: +3 attack, 1d6 damage
The heightened STR gives you +2 attack, +2 damage
The heightened CON raises your hp (see above) and gives you +2 on Fortitude saves
You also get a +2 bonus on will saves

In addition, 3 times per day you can call upon the powers of your elemental bloodline, giving you +1d6 extra damage for each attack for one round.

You are now a capable combatant, especially in melee. If it comes to the talky part, you can be nice (Diplomacy) or not nice (Intimidate), but you can also get along in the wild (Perception, Survival). You even know something about magic (Knowledge (arcana), actual spellcasting will come later). In general, you should be able to contribute in most situations which come up during the day.

Here is the full stat block:

Bloody the Rager
Human bloodrager 1
CN Medium humanoid (human)
Init +4; Senses Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 12 (1d10+2)
Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +1
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft. (30 ft. in armor)
Melee battleaxe +4 (1d8+3/×3) or
greatsword +4 (2d6+4/19-20)
Ranged shortbow +3 (1d6/×3)
Special Attacks bloodrage (5 rounds/day), elemental strikes
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
Base Atk +1; CMB +4; CMD 17
Feats Dodge, Power Attack
Traits ease of faith, reactionary
Skills Diplomacy +7, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Perception +5, Survival +5
Languages Common
SQ fast movement
Other Gear hide armor, battleaxe, greatsword, shortbow
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Bloodrage (5 rounds/day) (Su) +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 to Will saves, -2 to AC when enraged.
Elemental Strikes (3/day) (Su) As swift action, your melee attacks do an additional 1d6 Electricity dam for 1 rd.
Fast Movement +10 (Ex) +10 feet to speed, unless heavily loaded.
Power Attack -1/+2 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.

So, how would this character progress? Here is the same character at level 5.

Bloody the Rager
Human bloodrager 5 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 15)
CN Medium humanoid (human)
Init +4; Senses Perception +9
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 20, touch 13, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor, +2 Dex, +1 dodge), raging 18
hp 49 (5d10+15), raging 59 hp
Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +2; +2 bonus vs. spells cast by self or an ally
Defensive Abilities blood sanctuary, improved uncanny dodge; Resist elemental resistance
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft. (30 ft. in armor)
Melee +1 greatsword +9 (2d6+5/19-20) or
mwk battleaxe +9 (1d8+3/×3)
Melee (raging, power attack) +1 greatsword +11 (2d6+14/19-20) or
mwk battleaxe +9 (1d8+9/×3)
Ranged mwk composite longbow +8 (1d8+3/×3)
Special Attacks blood casting, bloodrage (14 rounds/day), elemental strikes
Bloodrager Spells Known (CL 5th; concentration +7)
1st (2/day)—enlarge person (DC 13), magic weapon, shocking grasp
Bloodline Elemental
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
Base Atk +5; CMB +8; CMD 21
Feats Dodge, Eschew Materials, Furious Focus[APG], Mobility, Power Attack
Traits ease of faith, reactionary
Skills Diplomacy +11, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Perception +9, Spellcraft +4, Survival +9
Languages Common
SQ fast movement
Other Gear +1 mithral agile breastplate[APG], +1 greatsword, mwk battleaxe, mwk composite longbow (+3 Str)
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Blood Casting (Su) Cast bloodrager spells while in bloodrage.
Blood Sanctuary +2 (Su) +2 bonus to save vs. spells cast by self or an ally.
Bloodrage (14 rounds/day) (Su) +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 to Will saves, -2 to AC when enraged.
Elemental Resistance (Ex) Gain resistance to bloodline element when raging.
Elemental Strikes (3/day) (Su) As swift action, your melee attacks do an additional 1d6 Electricity dam for 1 rd.
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Fast Movement +10 (Ex) +10 feet to speed, unless heavily loaded.
Furious Focus If you are wielding a weapon in two hands, ignore the penalty for your first attack of each turn.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Lv >= 9) (Ex) Retain DEX bonus to AC when flat-footed. You cannot be flanked unless the attacker is Level 9+.
Mobility +4 to AC vs. AoO provoked by moving out of or through a threatened area.
Power Attack -2/+4 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.

Aside from the mentioned weapon and armor upgrades, they would get more hit points, attack bonus and saves from four more class levels. You bloodrage also lasts 14 rounds per day now (split up as you choose).
At 4th level they can increase one ability score by +1, which we use to raise our CON to 14. Also at 4th level they learn how to cast spell, you could now cast two spells per day, choosing from the three spells you know.
Levels 3 and 5 gave us two more feats, choosing Mobility (extra defense when moving) and Furious Focus (offset the attack penalty of power attack).

Kurald Galain
2018-12-11, 09:20 AM
Class-wise I would suggest an Unchained Barbarian (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/barbarian-unchained/) or a Bloodrager (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/) (Barbarian with a bit of magic).

The getting started guide is a good start, but I would recommend (assuming you are going to play in a group) to sit with a more experienced player to build the character together. Pathfinder character creation can be tricky due to the many options available and the sometimes tricky interactions.

In case you do not have someone to sit with, here is a quick rundown of creating a Bloodrager. The focus will not be on maximum power, but on creating a feasible character with several options during play.

That's good advice, I might steal that when I get a new player too :smallsmile:

Firest Kathon
2018-12-12, 07:59 AM
That's good advice, I might steal that when I get a new player too :smallsmile:

Sure, feel free to do so (and anyone else, too) :smallcool: