PDA

View Full Version : How would you make a "Protection from Arrows" spell in 5e?

Cyclops08
2018-12-10, 10:57 PM
in 3.5, this 2nd level spell negated 10 points of damage from all incoming arrows and hurled weapons. I imagine that would be very nice considering all the con checks a spell caster needs to make.

Eragon123
2018-12-10, 11:00 PM
Windwall is a third level spell. And investiture of wind.

There is also Warding Wind, but it is not a wizard spell.

Kane0
2018-12-10, 11:32 PM
2nd level spell, concentration with a minute duration, resistance against nonmagical ranged weapon attacks. Upcasting adds additional targets.

Drakkoniss
2018-12-10, 11:43 PM
Perhaps all ranged weapon attacks are made at disadvantage for one minute? Possibly make this a concentration spell. I am not certain it would be warranted, but it could become a very over-used spell, otherwise.

Malifice
2018-12-11, 12:50 AM
Doesnt warding wind spell already do this?

Wilko
2018-12-11, 05:46 AM
The problem is that in 5e this would end up being a concentration spell, and as one of your aims is to help casters maintain concentration it's a bit of a bust.

RAW you have the shield spell which is first level and could feasibly negate multiple ranged attacks so long as they are in the same round, if you wanted to home-brew a change to it i'd suggest adding a non concentration up-cast option of one round extra per extra spell level.

Vogie
2018-12-11, 09:21 AM
The problem is that in 5e this would end up being a concentration spell, and as one of your aims is to help casters maintain concentration it's a bit of a bust.

RAW you have the shield spell which is first level and could feasibly negate multiple ranged attacks so long as they are in the same round, if you wanted to home-brew a change to it i'd suggest adding a non concentration up-cast option of one round extra per extra spell level.

That checks out - The "Modern Magic" UA that was released had a "protection from ballistics" spell that just gave resistance to nonmagical ballistic damage for 10 minutes... and it was a 3rd level spell that required concentration.

I could see a non-concentration spell that gives the catching half of the Monk's "Deflect Missiles" feature - allowing you to use a reaction to reduce arrow damage, potentially to zero.